Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
Originally Posted by b-Bota View Post
Happy! Happy! Happy! Was totally burned out on a job, that I loved for years. Miss the people, not the job.
Miss the people. Me too.

2008 Tundra DC, 5.7L, Airlift 5000 Airbags
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Signature Untralight Diamond Package
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #30
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
it was very weird
sept 2006,
last day I was doing great, turned in my badge,keys and other security stuff. Signed off on my non disclosures, last pay date

as i walked out to my truck I got a bit teary eyed, then giggly
then big SMILES

had to stop at home depot to pick up a chain saw
I was still in my suit and tie, the girl looked at me funny at checkout and I said I just stopped working and needed a chainsaw to take care of a few outliers...

I was laughing by the time i got to the truck, felt like i was walking on air
we left alabama the next morning to start our new life

USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #31
My retirement came 2 years early than planned. Both my wife and I were teachers in the same district. She was absolutely feed up with the ineptness of our latest administration. I did some number crunching, and let it be known that if we were offered a good incentive package, the senior teacher in the district (she) and the biggest rabble-rouser in the teachers' association (me) were gone. Took less than a week for a district-wide golden handshake offer. I truly, truly enjoyed my 34 years of teaching high school Biology, and knew I would miss it. As the end approached, ex-students of mine heard I was leaving. I had LOTS of them drop by for a final visit. It just got too emotional for me. The big, buff police officer whose daughters had also been in my class . . . the now 40-something moms who still had school girl crushes from their high school days . . . When the last grade was entered and the last yearly check-out procedure completed, as I was walking off campus for the last time, that magic feeling I experienced at the beginning of every summer for all those years was back. But this time it was forever! I had a great run, been told I was a huge significance in countless teenagers lives (my wife's Fakebook account is littered with her friends that are my ex-students) but that was my old life. In college, at the beginning of the summer, at the conclusion of the last final, the old song by The Who, "I'm Free," used to scream out in my brain. Now, I am.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #32
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via MSN to smallpond3500
I retired in 2010 We left on 3 month trip out west 5 week out my old shop called ask when we would be home. Told them didn't know and didn't care.they ask ed me to come back part time at my terms I work 32 hr.a week and can have off when I want Ps I get full benefits
smallpond3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #33
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't really have time to think about it - about a year prior to the event my boss had approached me about possibly accelerating my schedule; he already knew that my plan was to retire in about 4 years. Anyway, I told him that if the company had a decent health care program for retirees I would retire that day. About 6 months later, sure enough, we got a letter from the company outlining a new health-care plan for retirees. The wife and I studied it, and decided that it would not meet our needs so we just filed it away. I talked to my boss again and told him that I appreciated that the company was trying to help retirees. I also told him that if a layoff was looming and our department was going to be affected that I would be happy to volunteer, rather than have one of the younger people be impacted.

Fast forward another 6 months and, sure enough, a layoff was announced. My boss once more came to me, this time with tears in his eyes, and said that he had to make the tough decision to lay me off. I told him that he should not feel bad at all - I was prepared for it, and I would rather leave now than see one of my co-workers, who really needed the income, get laid off and then have me leave in another couple of years. Anyway, the severance package I got was a full year's salary, fully paid medical and dental insurance for 2 years, and a great going away lunch!

My wife had been laid off about 2 months previously from her job, and she was getting bored at home - when I called her to give her the news she first asked if I was okay with it, then started talking about the first trip we'd take! As it turned out my last day was a Thursday and that Saturday our son was getting married so we now had plenty of time to make sure the wedding went well. Then we planned a couple of trips for the next few months and have not looked back.

Of course we started planning for our retirement pretty much the day we got married, 42 years ago, so we had a decent 401(k) that we rolled over into an IRA, and we had a very comfortable amount of liquid assets in various accounts - enough that were able to have zero income for 3 full years before we even started touching the IRA...
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #34
It was awesome and absolutely no regrets! Worked 30 years for NASA and it just wasn't fun anymore. It was a Friday, it was my birthday and the gave me $25k to leave! It took about 6 months to get used to - that was 4 years ago. No regrets, just kept feeling like the vacation was supposed to be over! At 57, now looking forward to using the new to us motorhome a lot more this year!
Bill & Pam
2003 Damon Daybreak, 8.1 Vortec Jeep Wrangler toad
Huntsville, Al
bvaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #35
Monaco Owners Club
I worked just short of 20 years for an employer in the Forest Industry and took on a supervisory role but was still on the job. I was getting more and more heaped on me until one day I said enough. I moved on to a bigger company and became just a driver and thought I would be there till retirement. When I was 56 they closed their doors and sent us all packing. I weighed my options and took my early pension. Since then I have worked on my terms. When we want to travel then that is what we do. If I feel like working I work as a spare for a company hauling ready mix concrete. The good part is when I get a miserable customer that feels he can crap on me I just tell him I just don't care, I don't need to be here and prepare to leave the site. It is surprising how their attitude changes and how well they can treat you. Retirement= life is good.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #36
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great stories.
Trashman 1998 winnebago adventurer 33ft. f 53 460 7.5 16in. Wheels. 2005 Harley Davidson duece
trashman1995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #37
I worked in an industry I loved and the same company for 20 years. Worked my way up to Director. Then the company was sold and we were all on the street. I reinvented myself and took a job in the defense industry at age 50. Again very successful but not the same. After 7 years in that rat race, to the shock of everyone I retired to babysit my grandchildren and travel. It has been three years now and the most rewarding job I have ever had. No regrets. Has given me a second chance at what I missed the first time around when climbing the corporate ladder.
Silver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #38
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was angry. I was nudged out the door to make room for the owner's son. I would have filed an age discrimination lawsuit, but all I had was my work diary. None of the people still working there would have had the **lls to speak honestly.
Charlie & Mernie Matthews
Liberty Lake, WA
2014 Columbus 365RL Fifth Wheel
chasmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:32 PM   #39
After working for a large tech company for 39 and a half years I was notified that my job was being moved to India. I could try to find a job elsewhere in the company or take a severance package. Found a contract job where I could work from home 100% of the time so I jumped on it and walked out with 1 year of severance pay and medical and dental. Felt a little sad because I really liked the people I worked with. Been doing the contract job for 3 years. Wife retired about 6 months after I did. Also we have been taking care of our grandson so we stay busy.
tmoore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #40
I was working for a large technology company (#15 on Fortune 500). My job went to a place where I did not want to be and they wanted me to go there and show the folks how to do my job. My wife was in the final stages of terminal cancer and I had no desire to do any more traveling or teach someone else how to do my job so they offered me a modest buyout in June of '05. I stayed home and took care of my wife. She passed away 2 months later. I took an autobody collision repair class for "hobby therapy" and worked in a collision shop for a couple of years restoring vintage cars. haven't worked in 7 years and don't plan on it either. I have since remarried and my "new" wife and I are checking off our bucket list of places to visit.
2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a short answer. I felt that I drew the "get out of jail free card" in Monopoly.
Karl and Janet
Tiffin Zephyr 45QDZ
Owens-Classic Trailer, with elevator and air ride
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #42
Monaco Owners Club
Only 77 more days to go!

Richard Anderson
2002 Beaver Monterey Seacliff, '13 Jeep Wrangler
Retired, fulltimer
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote