Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Today is that day Will let you all know later. Face hurts from such a big smile. Hope the pain last a long time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Last day

It was almost 2 years ago, but I remember it well. When the Govt. agency I was with offered an early retirement option, I signed up to go, but didn't tell anybody. Once I was accepted, I told the clerk that had been with me for 15 years and my immediate manager and asked them not to say a word to anybody else. They kept my secret for over 2 months and I was able to clear out gradually without anybody noticing. On my final day, I let my direct reports know near the end of the day and spent the next few hours shredding. No parties, goodbyes or speeches. Just the way I wanted to go. I did get a lot of phone calls over the next few weeks from people that didn't know.

Now it's like those years never happened - except for the check that shows up every month. I'm happy, the wife is happy and no more 14 hour days and late night phone calls.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ever hear that song: Happy Days Are Here Again?

That's how I felt, Now, for a fact, I liked my job but the male bovine produced organic fertilizer was getting kind of deep. And the office was on the 2nd floor... So that is VERY DEEP INDEED.

I miss the job

I do not miss the BS one little bit.

And I am glad to be retired.. Now doing things I could not do for 25 years on the job.. .Like singing in the choir at church.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #46

Looks like no one is sad at retiring out.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #47

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
Looks like no one is sad at retiring out.
True. Noone that is at end of their life has said:"I wish I worked more."
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #48

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
My goal in life was to be a SNOWBIRD. The last day on the job was my first day of true freedom. I cannot believe that they pay me Not To Work
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #49
DDQ

Worked in automotive 42 years. started when I was 18. Found that there is really no preparation other than what you need to do to keep from getting bored. Seems like everything falls into place on its own. I think I am busier than when I was working. My last day worked was Feb. 28th 2014. Enjoy.... your going to love it!!!
DDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Multiple reorganizations, and being part of a department constantly trying to reinvent itself to adjust to new realities, completely removed any enjoyment and satisfaction I had at one time felt in going to work. I hung in a couple of years longer than I had wanted to for the reason many do, it's simply scary to think about the fact that there will be no more money going into the retirement fund, I can only hope we're prepared to live a retirement we'd long dreamed of.

As I said, I hung in a couple of years longer than I wanted, but still left a couple of years before my goal. The latter was simply part of that "will it be enough" fear. The work environment simply became too uncomfortable for me to stay. I had no idea what was expected of me any longer, nor could management seem to define it. We finally decided life is just too short.

That last day was not my most productive. I wore a T-shirt that day, not typically on the approved dress code list, that a co-worker had given me at the retirement party. It reads "I don't want to, I don't have to, you can't make me, I'm retired".

Peggy held on a couple years longer, to the day, retiring two years ago. So far it has all worked out well, financially, which was our biggest concern. After taking out income for a couple of years, and a lump sum to buy an RV lot in Florida, we still have just a bit more in our IRA accounts than we started with. We have no regrets about taking what most would consider an early retirement - a couple of months shy of 58 for me, 60 for Peggy.

See you on the road.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Relieved!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #52

Wink

I will know come Monday the 30th of June.......
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #53

Out of all of you folks that have retired, besides living off your pensions do all of you have health insurance? including your spouse? I can retire in 3.5 years but the major stepping stone is I'll have insurance but she won't. So with out paying out a boatload every month for her insurance I'll have to continue to work for at least 7 years till she becomes 62. I want to be gone in 3.5 years.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #54

Guess I'll retire when I die....Just a old trucker... (55) Sure do like reading about those smarter than me,,, living life like it should be..... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retirement

There's retirement and there idleness.

I was idle until I got bored, about 6 months. Then I found a couple of worthwhile volunteer jobs that I enjoy doing the things I used to call a hobby.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #56

Thumbs up

Today's the DAY! I clean up a few loose ends, clean my desk off, visit the retirement office to ask a few final questions and turn in a final signed form.
Last meeting with my supervisor and team mates to go over what I have been doing.
Then this old dog goes out the door for the final time! The stress level is suddenly greatly reduced.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote