Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
A~N~A's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
how do i adjust the spring loaded control valve

My vintage hotwater heater..it a 1978 monaco. Andrea T
__________________

__________________
TAKE CARE, AL & ANDREA
24' 1978 DODGE MONACO
440/69K
A~N~A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
radams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 398
Can you give us more information such as make and model of water heater? Unsure of what you mean by control valve. What does this valve do? Is it the relief valve with a lever and outlet?
__________________

__________________
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Granite Falls, NC
Posts: 1,156
Blog Entries: 8
Is it the control valve that determines ''WATER PRESSURE''. The water pressure valve should have a ''screw'' in the bell shaped top and it should have a ''jam'' nut to lock this screw to keep it from turning accidently. It should have a pipe going in one side and out the other and whole mess is probably round with a bunch of screws holding the ''bottom'' to the ''bell'' shaped thingie with the screw in it. A good plummer would have put a cut off valve on the ''feed side of the ''water pressure control valve''.... One more thing... usually turning the screw ''clockwise'' increases the pressure coming out of your pipes. ........
this advise will cost you ten cents if you use it and if it dont work for you, YOU'R ON YOUR OWN.........

Have you thanked a vet for your freedoms lately???????
__________________
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
A~N~A's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Main burner pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
Can you give us more information such as make and model of water heater? Unsure of what you mean by control valve. What does this valve do? Is it the relief valve with a lever and outlet?
First I want to apologize for the vague question and the incorrect forum posting. I'm new, very new... I have an American Appliance direct vent W.H. model # ARV - 10 , ser # c672338, circa 1978. I am wondering about the spring loaded set screw under the green cap incorporated in the red ' on/off/pilot ' knob. I also ended up with an extra spring after taking apart and scrubbing my UNITROL valve/control (?), this will make it lighter and faster right? If you or somebody has a pix or schematic it would be very HELPFUL. She sat for along time so I am trying to disassemble and clean and scrub every part in every system. EXPLORE & LEARN. RIGHT. THANKYOU in advance.
__________________
TAKE CARE, AL & ANDREA
24' 1978 DODGE MONACO
440/69K
A~N~A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Granite Falls, NC
Posts: 1,156
Blog Entries: 8
try this link American Appliance Mfg Corp Water Heater 6 ARV manuals, user manuals, owners manuals how-to instructions, help and tips

I just googled the info and came up with this .... good luck .....

this information will cost you ten cents and you must pay me the next time you see me and if it dont work for yoU .... i never knew you....... cj

thank a vet for your freedoms ...
__________________
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
A~N~A's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Thankyou cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
try this link American Appliance Mfg Corp Water Heater 6 ARV manuals, user manuals, owners manuals how-to instructions, help and tips

I just googled the info and came up with this .... good luck .....

this information will cost you ten cents and you must pay me the next time you see me and if it dont work for yoU .... i never knew you....... cj

thank a vet for your freedoms ...
Thanx, for the link. It was very helpful, sometimes when I go on line I seem to get lost, now with the kids gone I have to have my wife show me how to turn the laptop on. Im NOT very tech savy, I swung a hammer for over twenty years. I thank a vet every day, My GP was Navy, my father was Air Force, My F in law Retired a Major out of the Air Force, myself I was Air Force, Law Enforcement, spent several years at Ramstein Air Base. Again thankyou for your time Sir.
__________________
TAKE CARE, AL & ANDREA
24' 1978 DODGE MONACO
440/69K
A~N~A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
A~N~A's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Direct Vent Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
Can you give us more information such as make and model of water heater? Unsure of what you mean by control valve. What does this valve do? Is it the relief valve with a lever and outlet?
Sir, Thankyou for your reply. The animal in question is an American Appliance Mfg. Corp. Model # ARV-10, Ser. # C672338, circa 1978. The spring loaded set/adjustment screw in question is a under the green plastic cap incorporated in the red plastic on/off/pilot knob stamped ' main burner pressure '. The word Pressure makes me want to be a little cautious. Don't want to go BOOM...The old girl has set for a long time so I am going thru every system trying to learn as I go. But the ' Trial & Error ' method, which is my usual learning tool, I don't believe should be used when it pertains to a Propane system. Again, Thannkyou for your time.
__________________
TAKE CARE, AL & ANDREA
24' 1978 DODGE MONACO
440/69K
A~N~A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Full Timer / Vagabond
Posts: 609
DANGER !!!!!

When LP gas explodes it makes a very loud noise and tears things apart people included. If you are not trained to work on gas appliances leave them alone and hire someone trained to work on them for repairs that are necessary.
__________________
Ralph & Snickers
2006 3500 Chevy Dually - 8.1 - Allison
2006 30' New Horizon - Solar
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
radams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by A~N~A View Post
Sir, Thankyou for your reply. The animal in question is an American Appliance Mfg. Corp. Model # ARV-10, Ser. # C672338, circa 1978. The spring loaded set/adjustment screw in question is a under the green plastic cap incorporated in the red plastic on/off/pilot knob stamped ' main burner pressure '. The word Pressure makes me want to be a little cautious. Don't want to go BOOM...The old girl has set for a long time so I am going thru every system trying to learn as I go. But the ' Trial & Error ' method, which is my usual learning tool, I don't believe should be used when it pertains to a Propane system. Again, Thannkyou for your time.
It's good to be cautious on gas appliances, that's for sure. I have more than one friend that had to run around awhile without any eyelashes or eyebrows. I don't have any information about your particular water heater so I'm just speaking in generalities here. Units I'm familiar with were lit by turning the knob to the pilot position and then pressing the knob in and holding it while lighting the pilot at the end of the pilot tube where the thermocouple sits. You would continue holding the knob in for about 30 seconds until the flame heated the thermocouple to the point where it generated enough current to hold open the pilot valve. At that point you would turn the gas valve to the on position and the main gas valve could then open for full flame. The only thing going through that valve is LP gas so I'm thinking the purpose of that screw is to adjust the flow. I wouldn't try adjusting anything until you get the burner lit and see what kind of flame you've got. If the flame is a steady blue then you are good to go. If it's yellow, smoky, wavering, then you might want to play with it a bit.

Remember that LP is heavier than air so make sure you're in a well ventilated area with no flames going or electrical equipment nearby. LP can puddle in an area and that's when you can have a problem. Check all the connections with soapy water to be sure you have no leaks.

Now regarding the "extra" spring you ended up with I don't know what to tell you about that as I have no idea where it goes or it's purpose. If it were me I wouldn't rest easy until I figured out where it belonged and put it back. I would do that first before I try lighting the burner. Perhaps a local HVAC shop has a geezer like me sitting around that could give you a hand with that.

As others have said, be careful and if you have any doubts about all this then bring in someone with the expertise. Good luck, pardon me if I've over simplified, and hope to see you on the road someday.
__________________
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 17,150
Blog Entries: 21
When dealing with a propane gas appliance, you do not need to be adjusting pressures, unless you know what you are doing. DO something wrong and it could be very expensive and/or very dangerous.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
A~N~A's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
DANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
DANGER !!!!!

When LP gas explodes it makes a very loud noise and tears things apart people included. If you are not trained to work on gas appliances leave them alone and hire someone trained to work on them for repairs that are necessary.
Sir, thank-you for your advice and concern, I am very experiencenced in residential gas appliances, I just wanted to know if there were any exotic RV animals in the system I should be aware of. Again THANKYOU for your time and your concern for my safety. AL
__________________
TAKE CARE, AL & ANDREA
24' 1978 DODGE MONACO
440/69K
A~N~A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
A~N~A's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
K. I. S. S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
It's good to be cautious on gas appliances, that's for sure. I have more than one friend that had to run around awhile without any eyelashes or eyebrows. I don't have any information about your particular water heater so I'm just speaking in generalities here. Units I'm familiar with were lit by turning the knob to the pilot position and then pressing the knob in and holding it while lighting the pilot at the end of the pilot tube where the thermocouple sits. You would continue holding the knob in for about 30 seconds until the flame heated the thermocouple to the point where it generated enough current to hold open the pilot valve. At that point you would turn the gas valve to the on position and the main gas valve could then open for full flame. The only thing going through that valve is LP gas so I'm thinking the purpose of that screw is to adjust the flow. I wouldn't try adjusting anything until you get the burner lit and see what kind of flame you've got. If the flame is a steady blue then you are good to go. If it's yellow, smoky, wavering, then you might want to play with it a bit.

Remember that LP is heavier than air so make sure you're in a well ventilated area with no flames going or electrical equipment nearby. LP can puddle in an area and that's when you can have a problem. Check all the connections with soapy water to be sure you have no leaks.

Now regarding the "extra" spring you ended up with I don't know what to tell you about that as I have no idea where it goes or it's purpose. If it were me I wouldn't rest easy until I figured out where it belonged and put it back. I would do that first before I try lighting the burner. Perhaps a local HVAC shop has a geezer like me sitting around that could give you a hand with that.

As others have said, be careful and if you have any doubts about all this then bring in someone with the expertise. Good luck, pardon me if I've over simplified, and hope to see you on the road someday.
Sir, you oversimplified nothing. I've always told my kids K.I.S.S. 'KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID '. I also try to practice that. Start from the basics then go on from there. Such as ' Is it plugged in? ', ' Is there any gas in it? ' etc... THANKYOU for your informative advice and your time. As for the EXTRA spring, it belonged to something else. Again THANKYOU,AL
__________________

__________________
TAKE CARE, AL & ANDREA
24' 1978 DODGE MONACO
440/69K
A~N~A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
83 Pace ?Arrow propane detector with valve control kartvines Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 5 02-11-2011 07:10 AM
Solenoid propane valve system removal kartvines RV Systems & Appliances 7 02-05-2011 09:35 PM
Cracked Automatic Drain Valve gMw Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum 23 11-05-2009 11:19 AM
Heater Control Valve Sammie Test Your Changes 0 03-11-2009 07:00 PM
Heater Control Valve question???? Forest Grump Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 14 01-15-2008 10:15 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.