Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How do you make your coffee?
K-Cup Brewing System 57 28.93%
Drip Coffee Maker 119 60.41%
French Press 11 5.58%
Percolator 20 10.15%
Hobo Style 3 1.52%
Instant 10 5.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #127

Rexhall Owners Group
K-Kups...my way

I liked the speed and convenience of the Keurig, but not the cost of the cups, or the usually weak coffee they produced. After experimenting, I have a system. Save up a dozen used K-kups. Cut off the foil tops with a paring knife, and rinse out the old grounds. Let them dry for a day or two. Buy a box of 100 reuseable, disposable lids from Simple Cups on Amazon for $8.00. Grind my favorite strong coffee, and refill the cups, tamping down the coffee as I go. When you place the refilled cup into the machine, rotate it so that the hole already punched in the bottom drops down over the spike, and you aren't punching another hole. The idea is to slow down the rate that the water drips through the grounds into only one hole. It sounds like more work than it is, and you can fill a week's worth of Kups in half an hour.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #128

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow....

HEY BOBB.25!

What do you do with the two hours left in the day once you're done making coffee?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #129

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have my 8 o clock coffee ... fresh ground at the house, preground on the road as I don't want to bring my old kitchen aid burr grinder for fear of breaking it in the RV.
Nothing like fresh ground.
However:

I will drink coffee warm, hot, cold , strong or weak as long as it's black with no sugar. The only coffee I could not drink was some stuff from a pilot that was labeled "extra caffeine" That was the most foul tasting concoction I have ever tasted and the first cup of coffee I have ever dumped out after taking a sip. If I am traveling non stop I wll store it in nalgene bottles so I can make a couple days supply ahead of time.

I have my two mugs in the morning and am usually don't take another cup all day, unless I am driving long hours, then I am constantly drinking it all day.

I have tried roasting my own in the popcorn maker..I have a french press but was not impressed, I will drink any brand in a pinch. I always go back to 8 o clock. Folgers second selection. Chock full of nuts I call floor sweepings but will drink it if necessary. I use to drink instant but can't stand the taste of it, so I will not go near it now unless there is absolutely nothing else, including tea, around.
Tea makes me jitteryif I have more than maybe a two or three cups... go figure I think it's a different kind of caffeine
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #130

My coffee

I still use my Pyrex coffee perculator
Got lucky and found it in a DAV store for $4.00!! They go for 50.00 to 75.00 on Ebay.
I use the paper filters in the basket so as to cut down of the grit in the bottom of the pot. jdadoug
jdadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
I liked the speed and convenience of the Keurig, but not the cost of the cups, or the usually weak coffee they produced. After experimenting, I have a system. Save up a dozen used K-kups. Cut off the foil tops with a paring knife, and rinse out the old grounds. Let them dry for a day or two. Buy a box of 100 reuseable, disposable lids from Simple Cups on Amazon for $8.00. Grind my favorite strong coffee, and refill the cups, tamping down the coffee as I go. When you place the refilled cup into the machine, rotate it so that the hole already punched in the bottom drops down over the spike, and you aren't punching another hole. The idea is to slow down the rate that the water drips through the grounds into only one hole. It sounds like more work than it is, and you can fill a week's worth of Kups in half an hour.
I've been using a Reusable Coffee Filter ever since I bought the Keurig. You can also get replacement baskets too.

Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

Keurig My K-Cup 2-Pack Reusable Coffee Filter Basket Replacement: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

I do keep some regular K-Cups for those days when we just want to get on the road or when me making my coffee is going to disrupt the DWs breakfast preparations.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #132

Fleetwood Owners Club
I ordered the stovetop espresso pot, looking forward to some great coffee.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
...or, you could buy one of these and save yourself a lot of work. Solofill Cup, Refillable Cup For Keurig K-Cup Brewers, Red: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #134
Moderator Emeritus

My son bought me the SCOOP for Christmas. It works great and will go into the moho on our next trip.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #135

We like the Aero Press coffee maker when on the road, and especially during the winters in the desert in Arizona where we are pretty much boondocking as our dispursed RV park only provides us water (for $500 a year). The Aero Press makes great coffee, is easy to clean up, is not expensive, etc.

When we return to central Oregon for the summer, my wife prefers to use our Kerug k-cup brewer, however.
Grapabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
After reading 10 pages I still didn't see my coffee maker, I use the TASSIMO. It heats up quicker than the K-cup. I don't get into all the different kinds of coffee. I like plain old coffee, black.
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #137

The Bodum method! Boil the water on stovetop, pour over grinds in Bodum, allow 4 minutes to "steep", press grinds to bottom, enjoy! Only question is.....what does everyone do with their messy wet grinds? At home they go down the garbage disposal.
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #138

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBaby View Post
The Bodum method! Boil the water on stovetop, pour over grinds in Bodum, allow 4 minutes to "steep", press grinds to bottom, enjoy! Only question is.....what does everyone do with their messy wet grinds? At home they go down the garbage disposal.
Mine have always just gone into the trash whether in the MH or back when we had a S&B house.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #139

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBaby View Post

I've always been taught that coffee grounds can plug disposals' drains...
Quote:
Avoid putting coffee grounds down the garbage disposal. They won’t harm the garbage disposal and they’ll actually help eliminate odors. However, they can accumulate in drains and pipes, causing clogs. Best to avoid.
I just pitch my coffee grounds over the side of the deck into the garden...but since I use a percolator there's no paper filter involved.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #140

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
At the S & B we chuck the filter and all into the compost bin I made out behind the greenhouse. When on the road we sprinkle the grounds all over the grounds as the stuff is organic and will add to the nutrient of the ground. I am amazed at the people who wrap good soil nurturing material as garbage.

My mom would pour the left over tea and coffee into her flower pots and she always had beautiful flowering plants all around our house, summer and winter. The teabags and coffee grounds went into the compost back then too.
Here's a video the local cable TV did of Denise and her greenhouse and the 13 foot high tomato plants she develops in there.

This is the off topic thread, n'est ce pas?
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote