Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How do you make your coffee?
K-Cup Brewing System 57 28.93%
Drip Coffee Maker 119 60.41%
French Press 11 5.58%
Percolator 20 10.15%
Hobo Style 3 1.52%
Instant 10 5.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #113

National RV Owners Club
DW used to be a store manager for Starbucks and got us hooked on fresh ground beans a long time ago. Coffee maker in coach is a simple drip machine from Walmart that cost about $25, house model is pretty much the same, but with a few more bells and whistles. Filter is the bronze screen non-throwaway type. Fresh ground beans, particularly the dark ones have a lot of oil in them. The bronze screen filter allows the oil to pass through into the brewed coffee, improving flavor. Paper filters absorb a lot of the oil. You'll see the filter dark above the grounds, where the oil soaks into the paper.

The coffee when we're dry camping is better than homemade. At home it's just tap water. When we fill the fresh water tank, it's filtered going into the tank, then filtered again when it goes into the coffee machine.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #114

My Great Grandfather, while serving during the Civil War, crushed coffee beans on a rock with the butt of his rifle, put the grounds in a tin cup, poured hot water in it, and copped a caffein buzz. The family has since progressed to a Cuisinart. Same buzz, automated.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #115

Monaco Owners Club
We got a Keurig for Christmas so I guess our coffee making will change.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #116

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Dennis, My brother has a Keurig and the Sunday before last I drank about $10.00 worth of coffee during breakfast. My Bunn can make coffee for over three weeks for about half that. If we ever have one given to us we will exchange it.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #117

Nor'easters Club
OK, first let me admit I am a serious coffee drinker. Not much of a morning person until I have at least the first cup. I grunt pretty effectively during conversations before that. Last week I wrote an article about making coffee on the road, in an RV. Learned quite a bit. I use a drip when I have lots of power, vintage percolator on the stove top when I do not.

MANY comments on the article later it seems that people LOVE the Melitta filter style...it's inexpensive and makes decent coffee. Other folks are swearing by COLD BREWED coffee. It make a concentrate that you can use for a while if stored in the fridge AND can be frozen. Supposedly, there is much less acid in it (so you can drink more! )

Take a look at the article it's got some interesting facts:

WanderMan: Coffee - How To Make The Best Cup While Traveling

Meanwhile, I'll keep experimenting. That stovetop double espresso maker sounds like a great idea!

Rich "The Wanderman"
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #118

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
We got a Keurig for Christmas so I guess our coffee making will change.

Another innocent victim poised to tumble over the Latest Greatest Coffee Fad cliff!
I hope I'm not too late to pull you back from the brink...

Quick!

Grab that gift receipt and hustle down to stand in the day after Christmas "returns" line!!!!!!!!

Then use your newfound wealth to buy some of the really useful things on (heavily discounted) offer today...for example: do you realize how many 50% off Chia Pets you could buy with the proceeds??????
Old 12-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #119

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys, my thoughts exactly, return it. Got in from walking the dogs and my commanding officer had already had it unpacked and brewing coffee. I hope you can get better coffee for it then what you get in the box. It tasted like and old work sock that was put in a drip coffee maker instead of coffee! I still have my old coffee pot.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #120

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks guys, my thoughts exactly, return it. Got in from walking the dogs and my commanding officer had already had it unpacked and brewing coffee. I hope you can get better coffee for it then what you get in the box. It tasted like and old work sock that was put in a drip coffee maker instead of coffee! I still have my old coffee pot.

So-

Can you expect a check for the coffeemaker you just gave your C.O.?

Or is the most you can hope for that he'll think you bought it just for him, thus advancing your career path?

That might make your future of sock-based-swill drinking a little easier to..."swallow"
Old 12-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #121

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

So-

Can you expect a check for the coffeemaker you just gave your C.O.?

Or is the most you can hope for that he'll think you bought it just for him, thus advancing your career path?

That might make your future of sock-based-swill drinking a little easier to..."swallow"
No expectations of a check, from anyone for a Xmas gift to me and HER, the CO. The career path is set with no advancement in sight. The old coffee pot is still intact and insubordination is alive and well.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #122

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
No expectations of a check, from anyone for a Xmas gift to me and HER, the CO. The career path is set with no advancement in sight. The old coffee pot is still intact and insubordination is alive and well.
Oh...I see I missed your meaning when you said "the C.O."....

You really meant " THE C.O. !!! "...right?

Heavy sigh...

Good luck hangin' on to the coffee pot!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #123

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
My option isn't on the list? I use an Italian stovetop expresso maker. Great expresso, inexpensive (i buy a new one every 10 years) and perfect for boondocking since it uses no electricity. Plus you can use any brand of coffee you like. If you've never tried it you're missing out!
Amazon.com: Cuisinox Roma 6-cup Stainless Steel Stovetop Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining
That is cool! I never knew such things existed. The wife didn't know they existed either. With a frother of some sort and the right flavorings we'll be enjoying our fru fru coffee drinks this camping season. Thanks for Sharing!
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post

That is cool! I never knew such things existed. The wife didn't know they existed either. With a frother of some sort and the right flavorings we'll be enjoying our fru fru coffee drinks this camping season. Thanks for Sharing!
Glad I could introduce you to it! Discovered and Started using that expresso maker when i lived in Europe, and have kept with it ever since. Most Italians and French use this kind of coffee maker. Cubans do too (hubby is Cuban), Makes great expresso!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #125

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
PAMPA instant, nothing breaks, jar fits everywhere. I'm not a serious coffee drinker....maybe once a week.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #126

We drink drip most of the time, quick and easy, but I still prefer perc with fresh beans. DW doesn't like it as much and we have to watch we don't over brew it. The smell of it brewing in the trailer is wonderful.