Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How do you repay your hosts?

How do you say thanks?

I have been staying at homes of friends and family members, connected to their water and electric. I like to repay these folks for their kindness. No one would accept cash. I'm not a shopper and am morally opposed to the whole gift giving idea.

I think I found a good plan for the last 2 places. I like to work in the yard, especially flower beds and vegetable gardens. Being out in the fresh air, getting my hands in the dirt, soaking up sunshine all make me feel good. After getting their approval, I have been pulling weeds and planting seasonal flowers

But, what if the next stop is at a gardener's house? I need some other ideas,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm sure that friends are friends and don't want to charge for hospitality. What we do is leave a thank you card. Sometimes there is a cash stipend in there, and other times it is a gift card to either a restaurant or store where both may enjoy the benefits.

We always hear, "Oh! You shouldn't have done that." We know, we shouldn't have, and we don't want anyone to do it to us if they stay awhile, but it is just a common thing.

Now, if you spend a few weeks at there place, and they spend a few weeks at your place and you know that this is an arrangement that is going to continue, then maybe just a thank you card. Otherwise all you are doing is exchanging $$.

Another thing is on the last evening trying to insist that you go to a nice restaurant. Pick up the tab and say it is for being so nice and letting you sit in their driveway.

I'm sure there are other approaches. I'm like you, I like to give a little back when I get a little from friends.

Sometimes you have friends that no matter what you do they are gong to get even with you, somehow.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #3

I think doing some yard work is good and I like the idea of leaving a thank you card with a gift card inside to a restaurant. If you are there longterm take them to breakfast or dinner or cook a meal for them.

Anything you give back is a good thing
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We carry a case of "award winning" wine from one of our local Oregon wineries. Depending on the people we visit we take them to dinner or give them a bottle of wine and sometimes we do both. Sometimes they even share the wine with us.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Whenever I have to go back to Wisconsin, I stay at my buddy Dave's.. He's married with 5 children. What I like to do is clear the table and do the dishes after every meal. Takes the load off the misses, and lets the oldest off the hook so he is free to spent the night with friends and I get his bed
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I care for the grounds by cutting the grass, pulling weeds, trimming trees etc. We also leave a check in a THANK YOU card to help with utilities as well, although they can use it for whatever they like. This jesture is usually only done at the place we stay the entire summer in Northern, MI. Other places we stay we normally leave a gift card or take them out to dinner.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can stay at my place anytime and welcome to do all gardening you want!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #8

".....morally opposed to gift giving"? You must be a treasure during the Holidays!
Seriously, anything you do would be considered a gift. Yard work at no cost? Gift. Paint some trim? Gift. Babysit? Gift. Anything that would have cost time or money that is replaced by you is a gift to that recipient. Maybe you are not as opposed to this idea as you think you are.
I am a big fan of a bottle of wine, a dinner out or maybe movie night. If weeds are your thing then just ask if they would mind you kicking around in the garden during your free-time. I am sure you will be most welcome.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I stayed at a lovley couples home for a week in thier driveway, they could not do enough for us, (wonderful people) anyway they would not allow us to do squat, no matter what I suggested,grass,resturant,or wine.
So before we left I put a $50. bill in thier freezer with a thank you note, after about a week we got a phone call, I think this saved the embarasment of a face to face.
We have made great friends and look forward to camping with them in the future
Larry
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #10

I'm known as the resident handyman in our family so I usually end up fixing leaky faucets, sticky doors and other things that just don't seem to get fixed.

Normally, we like to leave a place in better condition than we found it. A dinner out also helps as a way to say thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #11

".....morally opposed to gift giving"? You must be a treasure during the Holidays!
Bill I'm still laughing. good one.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
How do you say thanks?

I have been staying at homes of friends and family members, connected to their water and electric. I like to repay these folks for their kindness. No one would accept cash. I'm not a shopper and am morally opposed to the whole gift giving idea.

I think I found a good plan for the last 2 places. I like to work in the yard, especially flower beds and vegetable gardens. Being out in the fresh air, getting my hands in the dirt, soaking up sunshine all make me feel good. After getting their approval, I have been pulling weeds and planting seasonal flowers

But, what if the next stop is at a gardener's house? I need some other ideas,
You're not doing this in Florida are you? Not in this heat and humidity. IMHO anyone who "enjoys" this activithy is not right in the head. My sainted grandmother was afflicted with this malady. I never mentioned my opinion of this activity to "Granny". She had an old fashion fly swatter with a couple of broken wires in it. Not a good idea to rile her. My wife has suffered terribly with it for the 19 years that we have been married. I have often expressed my opinion of this activity to her. She just listens and then uses a hand gesture to reassure me that I'm still number one in her life. I honestly know of no cure, no remedy, no way to lessen the curse. Obviously, I have not been stricken with this particular sickness. (I will admit that our lawn and landscaping is the best and pride of the neighborhood and has been featured in the local mullet wrapper.)

On the main issue - Wayne gives good advice.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
You can stay at my place anytime and welcome to do all gardening you want!!!!!!!
LOL, sure let me pencil you in for March. Huricane season should be long over by then. Of course it all depends on how south you are in LA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #14

How to repay a generous host is easy, reciprocate.