Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #15

There is no way I would ever let a insurance co put used parts on my car. The insurance companies just want to save money thus they will try to use the cheapest stuff they can. Some companies are better to deal with that others.... And State Farm is typically a pita to work with.

They are required to get your car back to working order however to me using used unknown parts from a junkyard further damages the value of the vehicle. You also have no clue on the condition of the parts, and why the donor car was sent to the wrecking yard.

You can also have your insurance company deal with them if they become to difficult.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #16

Good luck with that...

You may not be able to get the rear corner of your car "new" so you get it totaled out for a rip off price.

Imagine cutting out the corner of your car from center of bumper to behind seat and replacing that.

They do not make that part for a 15 year old car and plenty if used ones.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Diminished value claims may be supported in law in a few states, but not many. Minor damage as you describe is not likely to have any real affect on future value. Structural damage might be an exception.

Many states now require that your title be altered to reflect past damage, usually determined as a percentage the repair cost vs retail value. Again, based on your description, you're a long way from this threshold. Obviously this would affect future value.

The salvage yard will tag wear items with the mileage on the vehicle they were removed from. Standards dictate that parts with more miles on them than what you had not be used for repairs. I agree that it is reasonable to ask that rubber bushings and perhaps any bearings be replaced before something like a control arm or spindle is reused.

All of our premiums are tied to repair cost history. The more insurance companies have to pay, on average, for claims the higher your premiums will be, regardless of your personal accident history. Margins on costs vs premiums collected are very slim and in good market investment times premiums collected may even be slightly less than the cost of providing your coverage (profit will be made from investment growth). This is a product of market competition, not any altruism on the part of the companies. Some companies (State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance company being one) have no shareholders and will actually return any excess premiums collected to the policy holder group.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #18

Highly unlikely new parts aren't available even for a 15yr old car. I just sold my 2000 Saab viggen a few months ago, all body parts are available. Not only is the car 15 years old but the company itself is no longer in existence.

I was getting rust in a few places and looked into new body panels and other parts to keep it going.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #19

Simple answer is yes. I have no inside knowledge on the processes, but two dealers looked up my car and said that CARFAX reported two accidents, so they knocked the trade value by a lot. Some previous owner had two accidents about eight years ago, but it still shows up.

That's all I know...................

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:53 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My plan is to ask for a DV adjustment.
Same situation as totaling the car 1 week after you buy it.
Not fair to take a loss, but the insurance company would try to only pay blue book value.

Dan
Old 11-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #21

Re - reading this and state farm can tell the auto body shop to get used parts and for most body parts that is SOP.

Suspension parts are usually replaced with new as one cannot know if the harvested ones were in a wreck or not.

They are not that expensive compared to harvested and rebuilt.

So touch bases with the body shop and confirm what the plan is.

If you are at fault yiu have less leverage than if other driver was but you still can request all new parts for anything safety related and if they argue the request then ask for certification on every part as they are safety related and it would seem silly to use unknowns.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #22
doc

Appalachian Campers
Just throwing this in to make the conversation more interesting.
One of our guys carried a new X5 to a client a while back and let her see and have him demonstrate the new features on this vehicle above what she has now. She said she liked and wanted to buy the X5, for him to be very careful with it and she would be in the following week (this was a Friday) to do the paper work and pay for the car.
On the way back to the dealership that evening, on a narrow road (North Georgia foothills) a large deer came running out of the woods, jumped a fence and ran right out in front of and into the car. It did a big number on the front, hood, windshield and both fenders. The air bags deployed and when that happened, the engine shut down and the transmission was disabled (BMW safety feature I believe)
The client was disappointed of course and the vehicle goes back the factory in Spartanburg.
This car was brand new and had never been titled or registered. I don't know if the factory will rebuild it, total it or what will happen to it. If it is rebuilt, will the CarFax even know if this happened? I cannot believe N America BMW will try to sell it as new, but I see too much value to just salvage it out to an insurance company. If so, someone would get a great deal on salvage price.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are two days away from getting the car back.
According to the body shop, I got all new parts since it was a 2014.

They did "refurbish" the left front wheel. It is aluminum with black spokes.
Don't think it was bent, so this is not bad.

Thanks for all of the comments...I learned a lot on this one.

Dan

Tags
sale