Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
How fight and win against the Extended Warrant People

I don't think it matters which one it is, but on my toad (2012 Jeep GC) there is something called a "TIPM" "Total Integrated Power Module" that shorted out and burned some wires and melted a socket, bulb and housing. They are willing to pay for the "TIPM" but nothing else. Of course the one thing I need them to pay for cost $1000.00. They are saying that it not written into the contract about the wires and housing. I point out to them that neither is the "TIPM", but you are paying for that! I have something called a total wrap around coverage, which covers "high tech" items... the dealer does not want to get involved, only paid for their service. The dealer says that the Housing is needed because the socket melted where it snaps into and is unuseable. Need to find something to bring these people to understand things get broken and it's no one else's fault. these items are not something that is part of the normal maintenance of the vehicle. It's just there and it works or it does not. Any ideas?
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Have you tried going higher in the chain of command?
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #3

Just a thought, you may be able to pick up the part in junk yard from wrecked Jeep, unless the repair people have already replaced it.

On the extended warranty, they generally state that they cover damage that occurs as a result of the failure of a "covered part". Since they've already admitted that they will cover the cost of the TIPM, the TIPM is OBVIOUSLY a "covered part" or they would not be paying for it. So therefore it follows that the damage caused by the failure of the TIPM should be covered as well.

It boils down to two things, neither of which can anyone help you with YET: First, the verbiage of your specific Extended Warranty, Second, how did the repair shop write up the repair. They should specifically state on the repair order that the Housing damage makes the housing unusable, and that the damage was a result of the failure of the TIPM. They shouldn't have a problem doing that. If you have already sent the Warranty People a copy of the repair order, and it doesn't state that clearly, ask the repair shop to write a letter of clarification stating that the damage to the Housing was a result of the failure of the TIPM. . . .better yet, YOU write the letter, and ask them to reword it if they like, but to state that on Company Letterhead.

If you feel the verbiage of the Extended Warranty should cover the Housing, and the Warranty Company still refuses, call your state insurance commissioner, and ask them if this falls under insurance. If so, file a complaint. If not, they will probably refer you to the State Attorney General's Office, open a case through them. We've used both in various states, and have found them to be VERY helpful, as long as you present your case clearly, logically, and have written records/contracts/receipts to back up your case.

All of our dealing with insurance commissioners (2 to date) and AG's (3 to date) have been settled in our favor, and QUICKLY, in just about the time it took for the various offices to send a letter to the responsible party. In two of the occasions, the parties stated that they still felt they were in the right, but as a gesture of goodwill, and because they were such nice guys, or words to that affect, they would just pay up . . . .yeah, right, frankly, we didn't care as long as they made it right, which they did.

Good luck with your Extended Warranty Company. Just remember, they are in business to take your premiums, and deny as many claims as they possibly can, and they will get away with exactly as much as YOU LET THEM get away with!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The Jeep repair facility has to step up to the plate and write the work order so that it states that the TPIM failure caused the other damage. If they are not willing to do that you may be out of luck.

I just had a radiator replace due to road debris damage. I informed my insurance agent of my suspicion of what caused the radiator to fail and after it was removed from my coach the damage was visibly evident. The shop foreman talk with the insurance claims over the phone and reinforced the cause of the failure. The insurance adjuster accepted the claim but it took the shop manager & insurance adjuster weeks to compromise on a value ~$7K.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:12 AM   #5
Community Administrator

How fight and win against the Extended Warrant People

Does your policy "speak " to consequential damage ? Some policies will cover a damaged part but not the ensuing ( consequential) damage.

Here's a link to a recent thread that explains this.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/no-mo...ge-233116.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I will look into everyone's suggestion and thanks for the info you supplied. I have "TRIED" going up the food chain and that is where it is stalled now. Can not get a call back and all I get is a voicemail system, you know "Leave a message and the person will get back with You." Think again....HA HA..
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote