Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
How I removed the refrigerator

Our refrigerator stopped working and I determined that it was the cooling core in the back that had gone bed and must be replaced.

I ordered one and the man said it would take three or four days to get it to me via truck delivery. In the interim I decided that it would be a good idea to take out the old unit and clean up the refrigerator back so I could install the new unit when it came in. I read stuff and watched two videos about how to remove units that were not like mine but the information helped. I went out to the coach with my camera and tools to remove the refrigerator. Willa asked if she could help so I told her that she could ''hold the flash light and kinda sweep up and I would do most of the work and all of the ''thinking''.. She said OK and we proceeded to the coach. I will not attempt to go thru all the where with all that is involved with removing the refrigerator but here is a brief description as to our progress in this job.

The refrigerator is held in by several screws that may or may not be in the places indicated on the information that I copied off the innernet. It was more a ''search and find'' operation and a ''reach and fumble'' getting to some of them to remove same.
Anyhow, I started in the back of the refrigerator removing the gas line after turning off the tank, I took the 12 volt wires loose and taped them and labeled them and photographed them, I un plugged the 120 volt AC and labled the plugs, I took the water drain line lose saving the clamp. I found three screws holding the back of the refrigerator to the flooring in the space and backed them out easily. I did a good general eye balling of the unit and Willa held the flash light. We went inside and I found and removed what I thought was all the screws that held the unit in the hole. I removed the grills in the back of the crisper and I called the tech as to the necessary of removing the parts in the freezer unit. We have one of those ''double door'' models and he told me what to remove. Mind you, this freezer compartment is bigger than a shoe box but not much. The area that I was working in was small to say the least and more than a little frustrating. I was working trying to remove two bolts from the bottom pan of the freezer without much success. Willa was holding the flash light. After ten minutes of cursing and sweating Willa mentioned that the ''little nut thingies'' on the bottom of the screws I was turning were turning also and that might be why the screws were not coming out. I looked and sure enough, the screws had nuts on them. I got out the proper wrenches and held a ''back bite'' on the nuts on the bottoms and the screws backed right out. Willa was real smug and held the flash light for me. The other two screws in the side were not so easy. I had no short screw driver and I stood there cursing and Willa suggested that I take the Philips screwdriver tip and hold it in my small vice grips and back out the screws. I did this and the screws came out easily. Willa held the flash lite and grinned. I searched all around on the doors section for screws that held the unit in the opening and I found four screws. I figured I had all the screws out and so I told Willa to stay inside and watch and I would go outside and push on the unit and it should move just a little. I went outside with the crow bar and started heaving on the unit without success. I pushed and grunted, nothing moved. I finally went back in the coach to take a break and Willa mentioned that while I was outside getting a hernia she had took the flash lite and found two more of the little ''screw thingies'' in the bottom of the unit door. I looked and sure enough, two more screws that went thru the bottom hinges. I backed them out while Willa held the flashlight and grinned. I flopped on the sofa and Willa went outside with her flashlight. As I sat there she yelled back in the coach that she had found two more of the ''screw thingies'' in the back of the unit and I should look at them before I tried to move it again. I went outside and, sure enough, two more screws that I had missed. Willa held the flash light and giggled while I removed the screws. Willa and I both went back inside. I took the crow bar and leaned the unit out about half an inch and put a small wooden wedge behind the molding. I worked the unit all the way around and I finally moved it out about an inch and called it quits because the batteries in Willa's flashlight were getting weak and the light was getting dim.

Tomorrow I try again and hope to remove the refrigerator and remove the cooling unit from the back so that when the new one comes in I will be ready to install it so we can get back on the road soon.

More later on this........ Willa wants to help but I am still un-decided on this.

God bless our vets. ALL GAVE SOME.... SOME GAVE ALL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yup, better keep the missis away from your project; no telling WHAT sort of help you'll need next!

Its hard to maintain that aura of Papa-knows-best when the dern woman keeps interfering in that way.

Signed,
the Little Woman holding the flashlight

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #3

WELL, BIG GUY......I have this little suggestion for you......hold your OWN flashlight from now on and I have a really good suggestion as to what you can hold it with......By the way, don't bother to ask what's for lunch and dinner today. You won't like the answer. Have a good day, Willa ( the one WITHOUT the flashlight )
Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #4

WOW !
Old 07-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
A word of caution. When you get the new cooling coil, there will be two tubes with it. One is a mastic that helps the cold conduct thru the fins. the other is a insulator that keeps air infiltration out. If you get these backwards, it will not cool. Make sure you get these right.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #6

Being that I do have a current problem with my fridge, I find this thread to be quite helpful...

...so where does one find this "Willa?" Is there a part number? Perhaps you and some others are concerned about potential hindrances, but I am thinking maybe there is something to this "fastener finding device" you have there.

(with flashlight holder option)

*all in good fun Ms. Willa-

** Also- I had a blast reading this...it's hotter than a fox in a forest fire here in the outskirts of our Nation's capitol and I needed the comedic relief.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
A word of caution. When you get the new cooling coil, there will be two tubes with it. One is a mastic that helps the cold conduct thru the fins. the other is a insulator that keeps air infiltration out. If you get these backwards, it will not cool. Make sure you get these right.
I hope they are plainly marked. David, the guy that sells these units seems to be very helpful concerning the removal and instillation of these units . He sent me an ''instruction sheet'' and I called him with questions also.
MANY THANKS FOR THE TIP ON MASTIC AND INSULATOR.
I was 14 years a Master Mechanic / Maintenance Chief for three concrete plants so I have some experience but I AM NEVER TOO OLD TO TAKE GOOD ADVISE. I have the unit out now and I will remove the ice maker and then lay it on the floor as instructed and await the new cooling unit which has already been shipped. The fun thing will be tipping it over and then standing it back up after installing the new coil.....(hernia city maybe).... I am seriously thinking about putting the top on a saw buck instead of on the floor. This will make it easier to raise back vertical and still assist in the removal and installation of the new cooling unit.

Be safe in your travel and I O U ten cents for the advise and I will pay you at the National Rally if you are there.......

Lets say a special THANK YOU TO OUR WOUNDED VETS. We owe them more than we can ever repay......
Old 07-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
Being that I do have a current problem with my fridge, I find this thread to be quite helpful...

...so where does one find this "Willa?" Is there a part number? Perhaps you and some others are concerned about potential hindrances, but I am thinking maybe there is something to this "fastener finding device" you have there.

(with flashlight holder option)

*all in good fun Ms. Willa-

** Also- I had a blast reading this...it's hotter than a fox in a forest fire here in the outskirts of our Nation's capitol and I needed the comedic relief.
Since this is your ninth post it is safe to say that you are a ''NEWBIE'' here on the forums.
First of all..... WELCOME TO IRV2 and the greatest bunch of people you will ever want to meet. There are several you must look out for on here. one is Wayne the Marine and Mick the Minion Marine to Wayne, Myself of course and ''rrmb'' Bob the sub sailor and several more that you will find on your own of course. anyhow ... W E L C O M E .....
Feel free to ask silly questions and you will get probably silly answers and feel free to ''jump in'' on any subject or post and say your say on that subject. The trick to surviving on here is P A R T I C I P A T I O N... in the forums and dont be shy. again W E L C O M E TO THE FORUMS.

Come to the national rally and meet a lot of nice folks .... they will welcome you with open arms and if i see you..... Ill give you a beer in a paper cup and tell you a ''sea story''....

God bless our troops and bring them home soon ...
Old 07-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
Since this is your ninth post it is safe to say that you are a ''NEWBIE'' here on the forums.

..... Ill give you a beer in a paper cup and tell you a ''sea story''....

God bless our troops and bring them home soon ...
Ah... the dreaded Newb. They are just so darn.... new!

But many thanks again... and I have heard some sea stories (I have a bro who is a submariner) (I also have another good friend who flew planes off of big metal decks in the ocean... Navy style) so I assume I am in for some real abuse on that score.

I may be new to this particular board/forum... but I am well versed in online etiquette and behavior. (TOU is the first thing I read before registering anywhere)

I have some skills- and I have a huge network (biker style) and I have never been one to miss an opportunity to post hound my way into people's hearts and minds. (careful on that last bit... I've been known to corrupt the hubby ladies- plying them with alcohol and adventurous notions)

Give a fella some proper time to look around and pay his respects to the seniority here, and before long, I will be a household name. (it ain't cocky if'n you can back it up, right?)
Old 07-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
My "flashlight holder" is not nearly as helpful. Does Willa hire out?..........

let us know how this works with the new parts..........(maybe pictures)..........sure that I will need it eventually...................ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Seajay: you might consider saying "shucks" and turning the job over to Willa while you resume your bottle & can collection............two good suggestions, you owe me 20 cents....................and your wife needs a head mounted LED light to keep her hands free!

Tags
refrigerator