Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #15

JJ Honeck,
Your right there. With so many people unemployed companies can be chosey on who they hire. I just asked the question to see if there's signs of recovery where you live.
I'm working part time right now. The jobs i see here in Wisconsin are in the health care field.
I was sent back to school to get my degree in supply chain management which I got. I have yet to find a job in that field.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboysrule View Post
What part of this problem lays with the United Auto Workers and the management of GM.
In my opinion, both are equally at fault. Management for agreeing to contracts which are unsustainable in the future and Organized Labor for their ever increasing demands on the employer with no concern about company viability in the long term.

US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboysrule View Post
As I said don't get all your information from the News, how did GM get in this mess, built cars nobody wanted, not one car in the top ten, their board did nothing in the face of the disaster coming, paid workers not to work, benefits that anyone would envy. What part of this problem lays with the United Auto Workers and the management of GM.
I agree with you. Too many people want a position and not a job.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #18

Lets' see...When the economy dumps blame the UAW and GM Management not the circus in DC? Hope this is not too "political" for some. This type of attitude undercuts every American worker striving for the best for his or her family. Would you work for less if more where available? Really.

Wildblue
Old 11-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Before this discussion even starts down that path, I would remind everyone of our Community Rules that state:
  • Discussions of politics and religion are not allowed at iRV2.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Rusty
Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #20

The Holly Berries in my garden are turning red. Happy Holidays to all.

Wildblue
Old 11-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
I agree with you. Too many people want a position and not a job.
Our daughter manages a group of about 30 people at a customer service center and has the hardest time finding people that are responsible and want to work. They just want the pay check.

They have jobs, no high paying but above minimum wage, but the people cannot understand when they are fired for not showing up for 3 days and never bothered to call in, hang up on customers or cuss on the phone.

So it boils down to there are jobs if you are willing to work.

Ken
Old 11-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildblue View Post
The Holly Berries in my garden are turning red. Happy Holidays to all.

Wildblue
If you would like to discuss politics, there are many forums that are set up for that purpose. iRV2.com is not one of them. That is clearly pointed out in the Community Rules.

Rusty
Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
RustyJC help me out a little. When a member of the iRV2 family gets a little off track and into something that the moderators feel have crossed the rules we are told "that is clearly pointed out in the Community Rules."
Where can I fine the rules as I do not understand how wildblue's remark about berries in his garden may be a violation.
Thank you and all the other folks behind this site for what you do.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you scroll to the bottom of any page in the forums, you'll find a teal-colored tool bar that has, among the other selections, Community Rules and Terms of Service. Click on either of them to bring them up. New members agree to abide by these when they sign up on iRV2.com, so it's worth at least a cursory read.

I'll shoot you a PM to answer your other question.

Rusty
Old 11-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
I have read in the RV Daily News that the Elkhart Indiana area is showing some signs of recovery. Heartland LLC and Jayco recently announced plans to hire more employees. Although some RV makers are hiring back workers, the industry is still operating at its lowest level in some 25 years. And, as RV makers tentatively begin to ramp up production again, other businesses in Elkhart also are seeing the economy's wheels begin to turn again.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #26

Talked to friends in JAX FL last week.... She is back pounding the pavement looking for another part-time job or three, he (concrete worker) has picked up only three jobs in the past 6 months, all barely making over costs.

Another friend called yesterday from Franklin NC (SW NC... big tourist area). Things are really bad there. I do know that there were folks who hadn't worked construction in a year when we left back in July. Still no work and most families are hanging on by the wives working "minimum hours - minimum wage" jobs.

Our last location (Socorro, NM) was looking pretty bad when we left at the end of Oct. Many folks were facing unemployment benefits running out. Many businesses that we spoke to were starting to face empty stores (no customers).

We are currently in Rockport -Fulton TX area. All the campgrounds are booked thru the winter. We were lucky to get into this RV park. BUT we will move into a trailer park in Corpus Christi (far less $$ and no "organized" activities) since Rockport & Aransas Pass object to the presence of Food Vendors on their streets. Fulton and Portland want us to get a 10K bond to sell hot dogs. So we're going to try Corpus. We will simply do what we have to do in order to pass Corpus health regs.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #27

Lorna,
Have you thought about going down to Mission, TX.?
Old 11-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
My parents left for Mission Texas last Tue. (Nov. 11). They have been wintering there the past 10 years. The monthly campsite fee is cheap....They arrived a few days ago and said the place was 2/3 full, with more people expected to arrive the first week in Dec.

Jobs up here in NE Ohio (Cleveland) took a big hit over the last 18 months. My regular job where I had my share of overtime the last 20 years has dropped to "O" the last 16 months. I lost a part-time job a year ago also. Just kind of going with the flow. The past 20+ years we have taken a winter ski trip out west, but not this year unless I see a real deal somewhere. I see people getting jobs, But so many of the people who were laid-off from what they thought were good jobs are older, thus making it hard to get re-employed because of their age. It's hard to re-train at 50+ and re-enter a new field up against new collage grads.....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland