Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #43
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Yea,
And taxes didn't go down either

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #44

Smile

Well I guess we are better off than most. We live on SSA and pensions from the years of work we put in. However, prices for the most part are up and it is getting harder to have $$ left for camping. We already cut out movies, eating out, and many other luxuries. We are just trying to take it day by day and try to keep expenses as low as possible. I believe the eco omy will turn for the beter. It may be awhile, but it will get beter.

Steve
Dallas,TX

Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #45

Georgia Pacific out of Green Bay, WI. is laying people off. A lady professor from U.W.G.B. said these people will have to go back to school to learn a new skill or move to find another job. Duh! Where are you going to move to find another job. This whole country is hurting. No one has a crystal ball to see when it's going to get better.
Is the worse over for us? Hard to say. I still can't find full time employment. That's why I say I don't think it's ever going to get better.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #46

www.shawanoleader.com/articles/2009/12/04/news/news1.txt
3 companies in that town have shut down this year.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Well, believe it or not, some of my stocks are actually making some money. Not near what we lost, but are showing up on the plus side of the ledger.
The stock market is about the only bright spot in this economy. We jumped in with some new money last March, and have seen impressive returns.

Not enough to make up what we lost in our investments after the election, of course, but, hey, I'll take what I can get right now.

Sadly, I think the only reason it (and gold) is going up is because of the coming inflation...
Old 12-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
When the recession hit and the bottom fell out of the USA real estate market I was concerned about the value of our home here in Ontario Canada. The real state values increased during the recession here strangely enough. Now they say the real state market is very strong and will only get better. I lost my job but at least our nest egg is still intact.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
When the recession hit and the bottom fell out of the USA real estate market I was concerned about the value of our home here in Ontario Canada. The real state values increased during the recession here strangely enough. Now they say the real state market is very strong and will only get better. I lost my job but at least our nest egg is still intact.
Yeah, the Canadian financial system was much more soundly designed than our American "system". Imagine, you guys actually require such quaint notions as "collateral" and "down payments" in order to buy a house! How discriminatory!

If only we had enforced those sorts of sound financial practices in the U.S., we would never have fallen into such a disgraceful condition -- and our housing markets wouldn't have collapsed. Somehow we let politicians (rather than actuaries) determine who was eligible for loans, with utterly predictable results. (Golly, who would *ever* have believed that people who couldn't afford to put 20% down couldn't actually afford to pay the monthly payments, either? Well, d'oh!)

Worse, it seems we haven't learned a danged thing. The same bunch of clueless goobers who politicized lending in America are once again pushing to make housing "more affordable"...
Old 12-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #50

Retired military, disabled vet, SS, home paid for, so we have it good now but what happens when our government debts come due and no one (Chin) will loan more money. Someone mentioned inflation, it IMHO is inevitable when interest rates start to escalate higher. If medicare and SS go broke I guess we will have to learn to grow a garden and hunt and fish. Have a weapon to protect what we have that others might want. At my age I am not to worried about me but my kids and grandkids I DO. One son-in-law lost a 6 figure job in the high tech industry this past spring and is now doing restorations and landscaping. Locally with Fort Polk getting a new brigade unemployment in this area seems to be well below the national average. What I hear Louisiana is not in bad shape except for NO.

LostTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland