Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Our daughter manages a group of about 30 people at a customer service center and has the hardest time finding people that are responsible and want to work. They just want the pay check.

They have jobs, no high paying but above minimum wage, but the people cannot understand when they are fired for not showing up for 3 days and never bothered to call in, hang up on customers or cuss on the phone.

So it boils down to there are jobs if you are willing to work.

Ken
Amen, brother. Just try to find a competent, American housekeeper!

Which, of course, is why we are the ONLY hotel in our market who actually checks to make sure that all applicants are in-country legally. We're small, and only need 3 or 4 really good housekeepers. If you're one of the large chains, and need 30 or 40, I imagine you simply hire everyone who applies...
JJHoneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #30

Lorna,
Have you heard of Blue Bonnett RV Park in Mission, TX?
75racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #31

Its getting pretty bad in Las Vegas not as many tourist, 2 of the 4 chevy dealers closed there doors. unemployment is at a all time high of 12% thats worse then the great depression. lots of forclosures. Everyday I go to work not noing if its going to be my last. I hope the economy turns around soon. But I think the worst is yet to come.
TheDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75racer View Post
Lorna,
Have you heard of Blue Bonnett RV Park in Mission, TX?
Haven't heard of it. Mission is a little too close to the border for comfort. Until Mexico can get better control over the drug gangs, I believe things will get far worse (violent) and it's bound to spill over the borders since there's really very little to stop it. As it is, we have to get our cart to pass TX regulations no matter where we are. It will take some more work on the cart, but we will find out and then we should be able to pass any county we want in. Our biggest problem with Fulton and Portland is a 10K bond to make sure we deliver our product (hot dogs) to our customer (single transaction).

We are planning to head back to NM (Roswell) for the summer since the cart is already approved for NM and it expires in Aug... Socorro Inspector has already talked us up to the NM State Inspector. Then head back to TX for the winter next year. I don't know if we will stick with Corpus or not. Stacey seems to like it (has pretty much all the restaurant chains she really likes) so far. But then she misses Chattanooga and Corpus has a lot of similarities.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #33

I'm waiting on a phone call from Dr. Pepper/ Seven Up to stock shelves for them where I live.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #34
doc

Appalachian Campers
Well, believe it or not, some of my stocks are actually making some money. Not near what we lost, but are showing up on the plus side of the ledger. However...(isn't there always one of these? ) unemployment here in Ga is above 10 percent and banks continue to fail from making loans to people who obviously could not afford homes they were buying. One home builder left in this area when there were 20 + previously. This one guy is down to doing repairs to gutters and patching roofs. He is trying very hard to keep his core crew at least partially employed.

"pass my programs and unemployment will not go above 8%.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #35

My neighbor was telling me about a new girl she was supposed to train in their office. It seems that the girl was texting while she was supposed to be learning. Needless to say, she did not last long.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #36

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering Retiree View Post
My neighbor was telling me about a new girl she was supposed to train in their office. It seems that the girl was texting while she was supposed to be learning. Needless to say, she did not last long.
I was kinda hoping that a tight job market would help to weed out so of these types. Perhaps more people would gain a little respect for the job that they were being asked to do. It appears as I've feared, however, in that too many of in the management ranks are no more dedicated to their responsibilities than the "texters" so incompetence abounds in many places where it shouldn't.

Back to the original question. It is very difficult to tell how the economy is doing in our area. While the North Texas housing bubble wasn't as large and didn't burst as badly as FL, NV, CA, etc, there are still a lot of homes for sale. The job market is very tight and the local food banks have been hit especially hard. To balance that, however, there are many people and companies moving from much higher taxed States and that movement is, at least for the moment, driving our local economy further and faster. There are tons of cars on the road but not as many people in the stores as last year.

I suspect that we haven't seen the worst of it. The 5 year ARM renewal hits next year so we are likely to see another flood of foreclosures and houses for sale. My company and many others are still shipping jobs overseas as fast as they can.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I have been a flooring installer since 1972. Yup, can still walk. In Texas, there are no residential or commercial jobs. So I thought, I'll do rvs. Been busy ever since.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #38

I found out yesterday that my cousin lost his job with Con-Way Express
Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #39

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
I have been a flooring installer since 1972. Yup, can still walk. In Texas, there are no residential or commercial jobs. So I thought, I'll do rvs. Been busy ever since.
Good work Ernie! The American spirit alive and well.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #40

Typical of a lot of Americans: wanting to make the big bucks for menial jobs.It is a vicious cycle. Those that are employed want more money for the job they do. Example: If Company 1 gives their Employees a raise, then Company 1 must increase the selling price for their goods or services. Employees that work for Company 2 use goods or services produced by Company 1. The Employees that work at Company 2 ask for raises so that they can afford the products from Company 1. Now Company 2 raises their prices and so on and so forth.Finally, the employees want so much in the way of benefits and compensation that the company decides to move offshore. The employees lose their jobs.Did they lose their jobs because they were greedy?Is the company wrong for producing products offshore?Most will complain about products made in China. But, a company couldn't afford to make the product in the U.S. and be competitive.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #41

There's only one problem with your statement- neither company lowered their prices when they moved off-shore. now nobody can afford the products. Therefore our economy is "in the pits" It's a vicious circle that the workers seem to loose on every turn.
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #42

Maybe Nafta has hurt us too.

Tags
heartland