Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
About an hour.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #16

When we had our RV, all that we needed were clothes and food. We typically stopped at the local store to buy the food when we departed. Regardless where we travel, we always seem to visit a Walmart (not in the RV ) to get other items.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
MH lives on a pad in the yard, Always plugged in. For routine, short vacation etc, (for a couple of weeks), about 2 hours. Hurevac, 4-5 hours with boarding up and stowing gear... A lot of our normal prep stems from what we need to leave ahead of a storm.

MH is stocked, fridge on, linens, clothes, tools, manuals etc. We rotate canned goods and condiments. I track "drop dead dates". Also have checklist:, neighbors, mail, utilities, dog supplies and records, meds, phone, computers, cables & chargers etc. We also have a transfer box of personal, medical and financial records, photos.

Of course most trips are planned and prep is done at a more leisurely pace -over several days.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
About 30-45 minutes. We have dedicated gear/linens/dishes/etc. that lives in various stow location in the bus, and then we have a couple checklists to run through. Most of the time is taken up by getting the dogs in order and packing their stuff - our bags are generally light.

We could get out faster, but we don't like to rush - this is supposed to be fun

- Randy
Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

I guess I will chime in on this one.By the time I hook up the tow dolly and car and DW gets other stuff like our 2 wennies and all our meds. it takes about 2 hrs.All of our clothes and gear stay in the MH.I clean inside and outside when we return so it will be ready for the next adventure.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #20

On our maiden trip it took us a day to get everything packed. But this was the initial setup and a lot of that stuff stayed in the MH when we started to unpack. Some items was unnecessary and removed. The next setup test will be in about a week. Hopefully it will not take that long. We bring the MH to our house to set it up two days prior to get the fridge cold, so this gives us plenty of time to get everything setup. It also helps to have a checklist of what we are taking.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll pull the MH out of storage about 3 days before departure. The first day home is checking the mechanical things, oil, fluid, hydraulic, etc. and washing the outside of it got dusty/dirty in storage. Load the fishing gear on, just in case, and any other items purchased after it went in storage. The next day is basically a lazy loading day, clothes and other necessity items. All the kitchen ware and appliances are already in the MH and stay there. Just about two of everything in that department.

The night before departure most of the electronic gear is staged in the stick house, computers, etc and the last out the door is the Satellite system. Then a pull out into the street and hook up the TOAD. So I can say in total, a day and a half, but that is not "rushing" it. It still makes me work up a sweat.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Doubt seriously those that pack in an hour or so are going for a month or more..
The OP didn't state that though, he just asked how long it took you.
Quote:
Despite our best efforts have separate items for the house and the RV (kitcheware, towels, etc), I find that we still keep "cross-contanimating" our RV and house gear, and this inevitabley leads to longer pack/preparation time for getting on the road in our RV.

I'm not talking about checking out mechanical gear and prepping your camper/motorhome for the road, but just the time to get your "stuff" in your "motorhome" and ready to go.

For us, it seems to take the better part of a day. In and out of the house to RV, going over our checklists, before finally pulling out of the driveway ... and of course it always seems that when we're 1/2 hour or more from the house, we remember something that we forgot.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Been RV'ing since 1957

That's more than fifty years...did they even HAVE "RV's" back then?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #24

With the exception of the fridge, we're ready to go at all times. We pack a cooler, take it to the MH and leave

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'll pull the MH out of storage about 3 days before departure. The first day home is checking the mechanical things, oil, fluid, hydraulic, etc. and washing the outside of it got dusty/dirty in storage. Load the fishing gear on, just in case, and any other items purchased after it went in storage. The next day is basically a lazy loading day, clothes and other necessity items. All the kitchen ware and appliances are already in the MH and stay there. Just about two of everything in that department.

The night before departure most of the electronic gear is staged in the stick house, computers, etc and the last out the door is the Satellite system. Then a pull out into the street and hook up the TOAD. So I can say in total, a day and a half, but that is not "rushing" it. It still makes me work up a sweat.
This sounds like our routine. We also have to re-install the TPMS since we don't leave them on the moho in storage.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
All we have to pack is clothes and a small amount of food. We've learned never to "borrow items" from the coach.
It has everything needed for traveling and it stays in there.

So, on average, about an hour to load stuff and hook up the toad.

As far as remembering things a half hour down the road....there are Walmarts everywhere.
Exactly what we do.
SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use a checklist system - usually the night before we'll pack the clothes we'll need, pack up our laptops, DirecTV receivers, and any other non-perishables. Everything will be placed in the living room. The next morning, while I drive the 5 miles to the storage yard to pick up the RV the wife is packing up the refrigerator and freezer stuff. By the time I get back I just double-park in the street and it takes us maybe 10 minutes at the most to move everything out to the RV. Usually I'll take the refrigerator and freezer stuff first - then the wife can be storing that stuff while I get the rest of the stuff.

So, from when I stop in front of the house until we're rolling again is usually less than 10 minutes!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #28

Takes us several more or less leisurely days collecting and staging stuff by the "out" door. My back won't allow more sustained time actually loading, so we move things out as & when.

DH takes care of the mechanicals and we both collect food and clothes, make up the bed fresh, and carry out. Last minute items include electronics and cats w/ their gear.

We have started spending the last night in the rig (for long trips, as in Snowbirding). That way the stix & brix is already buttoned up and we can get an early start.

For shorter trips we'll use a similar routine, but not sleep out that last night. I do have a checklist notebook to help keep myself on track, including a page titled "Things We Forgot". That list gets progressively shorter.