Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I was a paramedic for 16 yrs, so I can do CPR in my sleep, lol. Not a medic anymore, but I still maintain my EMT, CPR, etc.

Oh, we do have a very well stocked BLS kit in out rig.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Former EMT and rescue diver. Worck for a healthcare system in IT but keep up my cert. CPR has changed over the years so it is important to stay current.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #17

Since I am out back quite alot on my ATV I am current Wilderness First Aid, CPR w/AED and probably carry a Medium Sized First aid Kit.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #18
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also keep a fully stocked First aid kit in all my vehicles.

It has come in handy more than once.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #19

I have been First Aid and CPR trained for 41 years starting in Air Force Basic Training. Working for the government and public utility co. Have kept my training up. About five years ago had AED training. I have only had to use my training a couple of times.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:36 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Being a diver for many years we were thought resuscitation and had to carry out an annual test. Fortunately I have never had to put it into real practice.

Is this a myth or would there be any truth to this:

I have heard that you could land yourself a lawsuit if you try your best to assist a victim and the outcome is a fatality. People could claim that you have worsened the situation and maybe even cause death. I have heard that people are reluctant to offer assistance for that reason. Is this true or just a myth?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Being a diver for many years we were thought resuscitation and had to carry out an annual test. Fortunately I have never had to put it into real practice.

I have heard that you could land yourself a lawsuit if you try your best to assist a victim and the outcome is a fatality. People could claim that you have worsened the situation and maybe even cause death. I have heard that people are reluctant to offer assistance for that reason. Is this true or just a myth?
Way more myth than truth. Google Good Samaritan Law. It will vary by state.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Way more myth than truth. Google Good Samaritan Law. It will vary by state.
It does vary greatly between states. But in some states the Good Samaritan Law only covers the average "lay" person with no professional training. The exception being CPR. It may not cover you if you have been trained as an EMT or paramedic, especially if you work for (or have worked for) an agency that provides pre-hospital care (career or volunteer). Because if you have, you are considered "a trained professional" and held to a different standard than a "lay person" with no training. You'll probably eventually win the law suit, but it'll still be a HUGE PITA.

Don't ask me how I know.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post

When a person truly needs CPR, they're already dead, you can't make them any more dead by trying to resuscitate them.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I started out with Red Cross First Aid certification through the Boy Scouts like many others. I spent many years without training up dates. When I started to go to the gun range regularly, I enrolled in a course taught by a Special Forces medic who did a great job in helping me understand trauma and what supplies I needed to deal with it. I bought a group of supplies and stalked my own kit based on his recommendations. What I liked was that he had contacts with several of the major manufactures of supplies and we could actually practice with samples that he had gotten from them.

I belong to an emergency preparedness group and am a long way from having everything that I need by their standard but I'm better prepared than I was and am working a little at a time to do even better.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #25

1980 to 1984 vol fire dept , emt. Paramedic
Rode the box for 4 yrs nights and weekends
So many hrs , do little pay >>> No pay
And still had a fill time job , on Hutchins Texas

We carry a first aid kit , do not know the new CPR , but I bet I could give it a whirl

Great time we had back then , aids had not come around yet , we would dive off into accidents. , no gloves if we were 1st on scene

Everybody that was there wanted to help
I got certified through Texas. A&M on fire dept.

52 yrs old now , working on construction jobs , still have to go into action every now and then .
Old 08-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #26
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Certified Level 1 First Aid Responder. Have to renew every two years for my job.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #27

Me lucky.....my wife is a retired EMT from the Fire Department which is nice.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have had extensive first aid training/cpr and carry a well stocked first aid kit in the motorhome. Wouldn't be without it. Years ago trained scout masters in survival/ and first aid. Had to use the first aid training in Canada on a hunt once. A native boy with the family on their trap line put a axe into his chin and had no means of treatment. We flew him out to a hospital. He would have died in the wild. It was nasty. We were about 100 mi north of any roads. Float plane only in.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote