Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 05:12 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
IC2 Dave,
I am curious as maybe others are since you have knowledge about the region. My question is, what then would have most likely happened to someone who chose to stop and help in the bus wreck situation?

Talk about culture shock, it is all bizarrely foreign to me that's for sure.

W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #16

In PRC-mainland China no one will stop to help an elderly person that goes down on the street. If they survive you are then responsible for them, as in you "adopted" them. I spent time in both places and not sure in Taiwan. Sad.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 05-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
That is incredible. They have quite the longevity over there too. It sounds like your good to go getting old and wise, BUT if you "fall and can't get up" it's curtains.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
I don't think it's fair to say people don't want to get involved. Stopping and getting out on the freeway could imperil their lives. It's best to just call emergency services if there isn't a place to safely pull over.
Johnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
I don't think it's fair to say people don't want to get involved based upon two vehicles. Stopping and getting out on the freeway could be life threatening. Sometimes, the best way to be a good samaritan is to just call emergency services if you can't safely pull over.
Johnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:48 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
I don't think it's fair to say people don't want to get involved based upon two vehicles. Stopping and getting out on the freeway could be life threatening. Sometimes, the best way to be a good samaritan is to just call emergency services if you can't safely pull over.
Yeah that is a good point to consider looking at the video. Everyone was going pretty fast. Makes me then wonder if there was a pileup that followed.

The video was short. Upon further reflection, someone had to stop at some point (duh) whether it was first res-ponders help or a pileup or both. That scenario probably went on for hours I'm guessing. Still get a weird vibe looking at it though for some reason.

The one fatality in my opinion was probably the driver.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:29 AM   #21
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
IC2 Dave,
I am curious as maybe others are since you have knowledge about the region. My question is, what then would have most likely happened to someone who chose to stop and help in the bus wreck situation?

Talk about culture shock, it is all bizarrely foreign to me that's for sure.

W.D.
They just don't stop in Taiwan.

In Arab lands, drivers seldom stop either but gawkers seem to 'appear' in their long robes, especially out in the middle of nowhere. Or if you kill one of their camels as one of our truck drivers did in Saudi, the owner 'arrives' again like on a magic carpet from who knows where and you (if you survive) pay him big bucks, dollars, not riyals, before your demolished vehicle can be moved.

It is a culture shock as you noted
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote