Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Chris, appreciate your discussion...whether a dusting or 2 inches. The roads should have been treated with brine 24 hours in advance. As to the two inches, with these storms the bands of dusting, light, medium and heavy are usually no more than tens of a mile wide and very terrain dependent. The advisories and warnings were out. Another issue the official forecasters have is TV "weathermen and women" who put their spin on the forecast. They are always "right" until they are wrong, then it was the NWS.

In Atlanta's case, even a dusting would have caused the problems. When snow is forecast, they need to shut down the government and schools. JMHO

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
To some of the rest of you that continue to view weather as an act of God and weather forecast as a painting with multiple outcomes, and forecast as something that rarely accurate for more than a couple of hours...respectfully, learn more about the science of meteorology because right now you tend towards being full of hop hah!
PUUHLEASE spare me! The "science" of meteorology only goes so far. Sure you can safely predict what will happen when there's a bermuda high or a low pressure system developing off the Atlantic coast. But don't tell me that you will know how many inches of snow are going to fall in a given area or the path a hurricane takes. The fact is that weather forecasting is only as good as the data you have AND whatever historical data you have available. Just last Saturday in Pittsburgh they were saying "less than an inch possible" and we ended up with 8+! Maybe you are an honest meteorologist who is accountable for his forecasts. Most aren't.

MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry, most are honest and admit they are wrong when they are wrong. Admittedly, snow forecasts are the toughest, but in this case in the South, the warnings were there, like they have been the last four times. They didn't react, and the people paid the price!

And it is a science...not withstanding TV meteorology and the non-meteorologist practitioners on it.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I live in Atlanta. Retired so I missed the disaster and watched on TV. In addition to a poor forecast not allowing limited resources to be positioned ahead of time, the shear volume of traffic made things impossible. Atlanta is a traffic disaster on a sunny day in June. When the snow started around noon all schools, businesses and government offices closed and hit the roads at the same time. Meanwhile the temperatures were below freezing and dropping. Snow was quickly turning to ice that no one can maneuver on. 2000 vehicles were abandoned on the interstates around and through the city. Hind sight and blame are easy. I'm sure in years to come when the forecast is for a dusting and the city shuts down early...we'll want to blame people for overreacting.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #19
doc

Appalachian Campers
In the South snow is rare - kinda like a BCS championship up north
Old 02-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
In the South snow is rare - kinda like a BCS championship up north
Yeah, we are in the rust belt and there is a lack of money available to pay the players!
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBelly View Post
Yeah, we are in the rust belt and there is a lack of money available to pay the players!
BCS players aren't paid. Coaches and colleges on the other hand.....
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
I live in Atlanta. Retired so I missed the disaster and watched on TV. In addition to a poor forecast not allowing limited resources to be positioned ahead of time, the shear volume of traffic made things impossible. Atlanta is a traffic disaster on a sunny day in June. When the snow started around noon all schools, businesses and government offices closed and hit the roads at the same time. Meanwhile the temperatures were below freezing and dropping. Snow was quickly turning to ice that no one can maneuver on. 2000 vehicles were abandoned on the interstates around and through the city. Hind sight and blame are easy. I'm sure in years to come when the forecast is for a dusting and the city shuts down early...we'll want to blame people for overreacting.
Sorry, but it was not a poor forecast...that is a myth, pure and simple.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Sorry, most are honest and admit they are wrong when they are wrong. Admittedly, snow forecasts are the toughest, but in this case in the South, the warnings were there, like they have been the last four times. They didn't react, and the people paid the price! And it is a science...not withstanding TV meteorology and the non-meteorologist practitioners on it.

I agree! I used my weather app on my phone and had enough info to make a decision.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Most southern cities are not prepared for snow. Would Atlanta even have brine Trucks??
I think the Weather Channel is still blaming Directv.....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let's not get on thin ice here.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Just to put the whole weather forecasting issue in perspective, just think about Cape Canaveral and NASA. Now I would imagine the absolute BEST scientists in the world were involved in every single launch, back when we had a space program, including those responsible for determining if weather conditions were conducive to throwing our astronauts into space at a high rate of speed.

Remember how many launches were started . . . stopped . . . delayed . . . rescheduled . . . and then all over again, and maybe again, because of the fickled weather? I think even those NASA crackerjack weather scientists would say the weather prediction game is an illusive one.

I don't think fancy degrees and/or pretty TV faces changes that, but I'm just a country boy.

JMHO
Old 02-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Let's not get on thin ice here.

DSL said it in post 15. Untreated roads equals and and then when you are stuck with no where to go or to keep warm.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&Paula View Post
I live down in ga. We all got warnings in a timely manner. Most of the towns did a very good job and closed the schools and people stayed off the roads. The mayor and school superintendent in Atlanta did a very poor job.
Don't forget the what's in it for me governor .