Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow!!! That is quite impressive.

unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The large parking lot idea is probably where I will try to start. We don't have a parking lot the size of the speedway, but we will find something. Thanks for the idea.

unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Getting my DW to drive was easy ... all I had to do was tell her that I wouldn't allow her to drive it. After I did that, wild horses couldn't have stopped her from getting behind the wheel.

She gets at least some wheel time whenever the trip is more than an hour or two in duration. She's getting more comfortable behind the wheel with every shift. She's not to the point that she's ready to take the coach anywhere by herself yet though. This however is more of an issue of confidence as opposed to one of capability/competence.

Before she "solos" with the coach - she needs a little more experience backing it up - as well as taking care of the basic setup tasks (leveling, extending slides, hooking up to shore power, making water and sewer connections, etc.) She had done all of these tasks a few times - however, like her driving, she's simply not sure of herself yet. She tends to learn technical things by rote - as opposed to truly understanding the how's and why's associated with each task. Rote learning just seems to take awhile - especially when there are lots of tasks involved.

I'm not worried - she's making progress, so it's just a matter of time.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Driving wife here!!!! I drive our 36' Journey DP as much as DH does. I pulled a horse trailer for years, then progressed to our 37' fiver, so stepping up to the motorhome wasn't a big stretch. I started by driving around a parking lot at Texas Motor Speedway to learn how the coach handled. Then I would do short drives on the interstate. I got a feel for how the coach handled with the 18 Wheeler "push" you get. I drive 60-65. No hurry...We host did a 2500 mile trip to South Dakota and I drove as much as DH did. It does take some getting used to..the best thing I did was drive in that parking lot...
Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #33

Seriously! I got this. If I really wanted to get her to drive, I would tell her that the best way to get me alert again and us back on the road again, is a trip to the bedroom......together! I bet she could finish the day's driving!

But seriously folks. The first thing to do is the same as what you hopefully did. Check your licence. In Illinois everybody gets the same licence when they start. But if you want to drive something over 20k lbs, you need to upgrade your licence. This is not CDL, but rather an upgraded weight licence only.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
Apparently you overlooked our situation. Due to my daughter's schedule, we can't leave a day early.
Apparently you did not explain yourself. You said, on special occasions you had to drive straight through on Sundays to get back on time for your daughter to go to school on Monday. You didn't say when you left, how far away you left from. I don't see why you just can't leave a day early to get back. It makes much more sense than expecting someone who is not a skilled confident driver, who is terrified of driving a 40 ft monstrosity to overcome their.
You didn't explain why you can't leave a day early.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:16 PM   #35
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
...You didn't explain why you can't leave a day early.
See the OP's post #16.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:18 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
Apparently you overlooked our situation. Due to my daughter's schedule, we can't leave a day early.
I responded to your first post where your situation wasn't explained like you explained it in the 16th post. After reading the latest post, I still believe trying to persuade your wife to drive a 40 ft motorhome when she is "terrified" to drive it is unreasonable. A better solution is to use the family car on the tournaments that will extend into Sunday PM, but I'm sure you already know that.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:05 AM   #37

DW is a very competent driver and wants to learn how to drive our newly purchased 37' motorhome. We're very fortunate that we have a local airport within five minutes from our home where we can drive all over the place for practice. When we had our 34' Southward, she pulled a three-point turn on airport roads.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #38

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
I sure hope you don't have the situation I did. I know how to drive the MH 37', because I can see my DH needs a break occasionally. We stopped in PA first thing in the a.m. at Walmart to get groceries for later. After getting back in the MH and ready to leave, my DH became sick and he passed out. I immediately called an ambulance and he was taken to the local hospital where he spent the night. That left me with our dog and cat in a hot MH in the middle of the parking lot. After checking on DH, I was able to find a campground nearby. I drove through the city to this campground and pulled into a campsite while upset to boot. The owner did guide me in and helped me hook up, but the fact remains, I was alone to get things taken care of.

It is so important for women to have the ability to take over if necessary.
My hat's off to every couple that confronts and decides this issue! It's not easy. And there is no "best" answer.

To the original poster, I send my hope that you have the patience and grace, and your wife the fortitude, to move from where you are to a place where you both enjoy driving your coach.

I quoted the poster above, because it speaks to my experiences teaching sailing. Bear with me- it does apply to RVing.

The sailing school for which I worked had a policy of splitting up family members across multiple boats. This allowed them to learn without the emotional dynamics that go with any family interaction. Thus, Rule Number 1: If at all possible, find someone else to teach a family member to drive, or sail, or learn a new skill.

Occasionally, I would get a boat consisting of four women students. Once we were away from the dock, I'd lean in close and say: "We're going to work harder than anyone else today- because you have to be better sailors than your husbands, boyfriends or brothers." they'd ask "Why?" Id respond: "Because he always has you to help, but when he's injured (or falls overboard), you have to sail the boat by yourself!" You could see the light bulbs go on. Thus Rule Number 2: Basic proficiency (and regular practice) is essential to getting everyone home safely, and sometimes is a life-and-death difference.

My wife and I share the driving equally. We'd probably not be on the road if we couldn't Again, that's our answer, not necessarily the "best" one for everyone.

Mark
Old 10-08-2015, 06:51 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
When we purchased our 40' Class A 5 years ago, I already had a Class B CDL so driving it wasn't all that new an experience. However, both of us wanted my wife to be able to share the driving and also to be able to drive if an emergency presented itself.

We arranged for RV Driving School to give her a 4 hour lesson and I was amazed how much was covered in that time. The instructor had her driving on all sorts of roads as well as practicing slow speed maneuvers as if one was pulling into a site. After that lesson she had enough confidence to take it out on the highway; nothing beats lonely stretches of I-90 in WY and MT!

These days she drives about 1/3 of the time we are on the road. Since we usually drive ~6 hour days, I will start the day for a couple of hours; she then takes over until lunchtime and then I usually finish. We vary the pattern depending on the specific circumstances; she still likes me to take the rig through heavy traffic like in Atlanta, Houston, etc.
X2. My wife could drive the RV, but was very nervous. After the RV driving school course, she is a better driver than I am. It is fun to watch her make turns where she is 2 inches from the edge of the pavement as she makes her turn and is still 2 inches from the edge when she straightens out and it is all done with confidence.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #40

I am the wife. I too was terrified to drive our almost 38' motorhome. I was terrified just riding in the things with my husband driving when we were shopping. I scheduled a couples driving school starting immediately after we picked up our moho thru RV Driving School. I ended up driving for about 75% of the two day lesson.

Our instructor was Chuck Urwiller, who was awesome. I drove on the interstate, small country roads, thru construction all with 45 mph cross-winds and rain and snow. I drive about 50% of the time and am the official backer inner. He says he gives better backing direction, I say I take direction better

Yoho, moho, the traveler's life for me!
sinjineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:21 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
That left me with our dog and cat in a hot MH in the middle of the parking lot. After checking on DH, I was able to find a campground nearby. I drove through the city to this campground and pulled into a campsite while upset to boot. The owner did guide me in and helped me hook up, but the fact remains, I was alone to get things taken care of.

It is so important for women to have the ability to take over if necessary.
This is exactly what I was going to say, you beat me to it! Here's how it went with us.

On the last day of our trip this summer, we had ONE MORE day to go until we would be home. It was a fun trip, and now we were done with it and looking forward to being home. We were holed up in an absolute crap campground in Hope, BC that we all hated. When we arrived, I had to lie down for a few hours due to intense stomach pain.

This is when I pointed out that we were going to be there until I was feeling better. So if I have three days of stomach flu, we were going to be spending it in Canada's dingiest campground instead of at home--which is where we all wanted to be at that point.

Fortunately, I was feeling better by dinner time, so we didn't have any actual disaster. Still, it served to illustrate the disadvantages inherent in having only a single qualified driver.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #42

I've told the DW that when we get ours I don't expect her to normally drive but she does need to learn how just incase there was an emergency. Told her you don't have to drive fast down the interstates but if driving slow keep the flashers on. However, I think once she drives for a while she won't think twice about it.