Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
dw drove our 26 ft barn on the hwy only for short distances , when we bought our 34 ft Georgie Boy in California and were held up for repairs not done whe we got there to pick it up , we lost 2 days and had to white line it back driving 18-20 hrs a day to get back for her job , she drove it for 1-2 hrs so I could relax , but could not sleep , probably frosted off a few people on the I90 driving 45 mph but she crossed the hurdle , she progressed to even driving the MH with the 24 ft race car trailer for an hour or so to go racing , now we have a 40 ft American Tradition and she is hesitant but willing to try , so when it comes to the AC with the trailer (I call it the "train") we will see , you have to take it in small steps , as I did not get into my rear engine dragster and drive 7.53 seconds@183 mph as my first attempt in a race car and , yes , it is a "RUSH"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #44

Woman driver here. The thought of driving our first MHS was intimidating as heck. DH took me out on an empty county blacktop road with no shoulders, lots of mailboxes. It had us both a little tense. But we kept trying, empty parking lots were good practice, too. Once I got used to using the mirrors and the different visual perspective it came easier. Now I'm the one in charge of the RV and do about 90% of the driving. I learned because I thought I needed to, and so did DH. Otherwise we'd be one sprained ankle or one stomach flu from being stranded. Lots of people ask me if it's scary to drive the MH. My reponse is if I was afraid, I wouldn't do it. A fearful driver isn't safe. Whatever you two decide, take your time and don't push.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:40 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello,

I am the female driver of our rig. A 33 ft class A MH. I never hesitated driving from the start. It took a bit to get comfortable and I have not driven it through much tight construction, but have in high winds and rain. I can completely set the rig up at a CG and tear it down when leaving. My husband and I have worked together replacing filters and working on appliances together because I feel I need to know this. There are no guarantees that he will be there to do all of this.

I think the advice about another teacher (driving school) is the correct advice for your wife. If you choose this option, let her go with the instructor by herself. She may tell him what her fear is. Also driving the back roads (during day) when traffic is light and without deep ditches if you can find that. See if she will go out and she can drive at 20 MPH if she wants. Nice and slow and nice and easy.

Parking lot at late night when not busy. Lights would help her to see better. Videos on YouTube and IRV2 about driving and "spatial awareness" so she is aware where the rear of the rig is and how to corner and back up.

It's possible that with having had previous accidents she is afraid of what would be said or happen if she damaged this rig. Cost could be her biggest concern if she hits anything. Maybe she is concerned about hurting others with it.

If she wants to talk to a woman about driving PM me and I would be willing to talk to her. My friend never drove hers and it had to go when her husband could no longer do it. I drove hers, but she was afraid.

It's a difficult issue because it really is important to have two drivers because of injuries or health problems. But, making someone drive who is really scared is a bit risky for everyone. Good luck with this and PM me if she would like to talk.

Lynne
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
It's a difficult issue because it really is important to have two drivers because of injuries or health problems. But, making someone drive who is really scared is a bit risky for everyone. Good luck with this and PM me if she would like to talk.

I appreciate the encouragement and offer.
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
He is close to it..............What ya think?
Wow! I feel SOOOO inadequate . . . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
we have a new to us MHome and a 40 footer , we had a 34 ft before this one and the DW was willing to drive occasionally , she was a little hesitant but I waited until she mentioned it and gave her an easy piece of road to "TRY" it out .
She did great , went easy and drove 50 , I normally drive slow (55) I drag race so fast does not bother me but on the hwy there is no rush til I get there.
as i said she did great , pulled out of a rest stop , got up to her comfort zone speed and drove for 20 minutes and pulled into another rest stop across the hwy and parked it .
she will be good for an hour or so in an easy spot and progress up to maybe two , best not look a gift horse in the mouth and take what I can
roadster27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:20 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
My wife drove the C we had all the time. The A has her a bit intimidated. I may go stay at Lazy Days or a Rally and have her take a RV driving class.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennieH View Post
My wife drove the C we had all the time. The A has her a bit intimidated. I may go stay at Lazy Days or a Rally and have her take a RV driving class.

So she can take a lesson in our coach at some rallies? Lazy Days RV dealerships as well?
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #51

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
So she can take a lesson in our coach at some rallies?
RV Driving School often arranges to be present at some major rallies; contact them for specific information.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
When we decided to get a motorhome, I knew that I didn't want anything over 24 ft. because I was used to driving our full size vanfull of Boys around and I had managed that ok. So we got Honey who is 22'. My first times driving her was test driving before purchase and then to back her into my drive in front of the garage so I could load her. My second time driving was taking her to the mechanic across town. Since then, I have driven her solo half way across Kansas, and set her up solo,. Couple years ago, we pulled hubby's trailer with his powered parachute behind us out to Yellowstone, and I drove for 2-3 hour time intervals including mountains. Took my turns this last year when we went to Texas and to Utah/Montana pulling the trailer. For the first year, I refused to drive if he was pulling the trailer, but when I saw he was sleepy and I wanted to get someplace sooner, I tried it. My intent at buying the motorhome was to be able to do it all by myself. It is my toy. I sure am glad my spouse enjoys playing with his toy (Powerchute) while I play with mine and we can play together with our toys when we want.
I'm not opposed to going a little longer, I think I would be comfortable in a 26 ft. rig... but I would have to take my time getting used to a longer rig.
Fear of the unknown is what kept me from driving with the trailer. After my first 3-4 semis blasted past me, I learned how to compensate steering. Hubby watched the mirror the first couple times I drove with the trailer so I knew where it was on the road behind us, without having to stare so long at the mirrors to see the wheels and be sure I was inside my lanes. She just needs confidence and only small bits of practice will give that to her over time.

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote