Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Riding the trash can across the mess hall in rough seas...
At sea it takes very little to ''entertain'' ones self. On the mid watches during rough weather I worked in Main Comm for a while. It was the largest compartment in the Communications gang. It was close to 40 feet long and maybe 20 feet wide. Kinda like a skating rink with lots of cabinets on the bulkheads and two desks. We would take the ''stoppers'', (the rubber thingies) off the chairs to reveal the ''steel buttons'' on the bottom of the chair legs. Presto.... A ''sled'' that had no steering. Riding them was kinda like ''drunk bumper cars'' driven by blind people.
Another entertainment was ''spit shining the s#!t can. You can take a 35 gallon heavy duty ''trash can'' that has been ''galvanized'', use OOO steel wool and bright work polish and make one look just like ''sterling silver''. When we took it outside to dump it the ''shine'' would hurt your eyes.

So it went on the Norton, a thousand miles from nothin' ..... steaming in a circle.....

God bless all who serve.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-USS_Northampton_CLC-1_-_0412511.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	13728  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
This was mine... USS Guam (LPH-9)... now a reef..

USS Guam LPH9 Association

Old 09-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seajay, I would like to thank you for starting this thread. It has helped me to appreciate my decision to spend 1958 - 1962 in the USAF. If the weather was bad we had none of the discomforts you mentioned. We just stayed in the NCO club until it blew over. We didn't need a pass to go to town, we just put on our civvis and left. No curfew, get back when you could. Had two people in a 10 by 12 room with oversize twin beds and large closets. Now I'm wondering why I got out.

Glenn
Old 09-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ya.. Air Force was (is) pretty cushy...
Old 09-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I remember one time going to my Dad's house to visit with him and my ex-wife, (she thought she was really doing him a great favor! ) she washed his lifer's cup and coffee pot that he had out on his work bench in the garage........my stepmother never touched that coffee cup she knew better. When my Dad came home from where ever had gone I made sure I didn't know a thing about it. Like my step-mother I knew better to not touch that coffee cup or coffee pot. My Dad never spoke to her again. literally she became my ex shortly after that visit
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
1st one was a joke and I laughed hard. The 2nd no joke multiple websites of a bunch whining spoiled kids made a decision to join the Navy and found it involved working and god forbid being responsible.

Very well put.
"Semper Fi"
Old 09-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
note to Glenn........ You just explained why we called you guys the ''sissy fly boys''.... no disrespect to you or the Air Force but you can see our reasoning. Almost any Sailor would have given a valuable portion of his body (the left one) for the ''easy post'' some of you guys got........
News Flash.... ''You got out?'' About any Sailor would have paid Uncle Sam to get to stay in the Air Force....lol.... (just teasing my friend, I bet you had some really tough bi-annual personnel inspections where you had to ''buff your shoes''.....lol...)
I'm done before someone in the AF gets ''whissed off at me''.......
God bless you for your service to this country.....
Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No inspections after I left the Army post where I went to tech school.

Glenn
Old 09-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I remember one time going to my Dad's house to visit with him and my ex-wife, (she thought she was really doing him a great favor! ) she washed his lifer's cup and coffee pot that he had out on his work bench in the garage........my stepmother never touched that coffee cup she knew better. When my Dad came home from where ever had gone I made sure I didn't know a thing about it. Like my step-mother I knew better to not touch that coffee cup or coffee pot. My Dad never spoke to her again. literally she became my ex shortly after that visit
I've been out now for 26 years and I still have not washed my lifers cup, DW is afraid to go near it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea

I've been out now for 26 years and I still have not washed my lifers cup, DW is afraid to go near it.

I have too much blood in my caffeine system
"Semper Fi"
Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I never washed figuring in the case of a world wide emergency and all coffee was lost, I could simply add hot water to the built up residue and have a cup of coffee. That's my story and I'm sticking to it
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #54

I spent 4 years in the Navy during Viet Nam. The draft board was kind enough to inform me that my Army draft notice would be in the mail the next week and if I wanted to enlist in something I had better hurry. I went with Navy with the idea of being a Hospitalman out of boot camp. During boot camp it became clear that what they really meant was Medic and the fighting front. I decided Naval Air was a better way to go so I changed to Naval Air Supply. Best decision I made. Nice duty. My entire ship experience was 20 minutes on the Bon Homme Richard (CV-31) trying to get a jury strut for an F-8 Crusader jet. You guys that served on ships have my full admiration. I was never so confused, lost, and at a loss for help than I was in that 20 minutes. A nice marine and I had an interesting discussion on why I wanted to leave the ship in fatigues when everyone else had dress whites. The fact that I had a large airplane part in my hands didn't help any. I spent time in the Philippines, Okinawa, Taiwan, Japan, Hawaii, and San Diego and always flew.
Dan