Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagray View Post
You Navy guys are to serious. It is a joke where people laugh at themself and see the light side of the job they have to do.

USMC 1966 to 1970.
True, what I posted was in ''jest'' and meant to be just that ''funny'' but sorta true....

I suppose you have clicked on the F.T.N. link sir and read some of the posts on there.

With respect sir. I read a lot of the posts concerning our people in the U.S.Navy and I was amazed. When I was on the Norton these guys would have lasted long enough to get the ''Bums Rush'' out of the Navy. They would have gotten an ''Undesirable Discharge'' with the loss of all ''benefits, back pay, etc etc''. I saw it happen, more than once for a lot less proposed reason than these guys ''unhappyness'' in the Navy. Some would have been courts marshaled and if they think they dont like the Navy....... wooo hooo they would have just hated Leavenworth Prison. Seems these guys think the Navy is kinda like the ''love boat'' where everyone smiles and says ''please'' and ''thank you'' and ''Are you happy? If you are not happy how can we make you happy?'' I served 4 years in the Navy with about 30 months sea duty on the Norton and it made a man out of me. I learned ''respect'' and responsibility. I learned to stand on my own two feet and if I messed up, I learned to take the ''bumps'' as necessary.
A lot of the boys making the posts in F.T.N. sound like G.F.O.'s or ''Kitten Whimps'', scared of the dark and missing ''Mommie'' to wipe their noses.
Like I said in an earlier post ........ IF they can not meet muster in the armed services (any of them) THEY AINT GONNA AMOUNT TO ''SPIT'' OUT HERE IN THE CIVILIAN WORLD. Of course, we need people to hold road signs, pick fruit , greeters at Walmart and workers at Mickie D's and the will fill the bill for that.

Mind you this is just my opinion and I could be wrong....

Thank God for our vets.... All gave some ... SOME GAVE ALL..........

ps. One more thought.... You can bet your Grand maws combat boots that these complainers will be the first ones to ask for ''benefits'' and ''handouts'' from Uncle Sam when they hit the street as citizens again .....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagray View Post
You Navy guys are to serious. It is a joke where people laugh at themself and see the light side of the job they have to do.

USMC 1966 to 1970.
1st one was a joke and I laughed hard. The 2nd no joke multiple websites of a bunch whining spoiled kids made a decision to join the Navy and found it involved working and god forbid being responsible.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #17

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok, I tried my best to stay out of the "Sailor/Navy" talk but have to chime in.

Funny link but the reality for most of the younger folks is difficult for them to handle.

25 years Active Army and I saw the change and still do today.
The days of strict adherence to regulations, action in the absence of orders, expecting nothing but glad for anything, doing more than expected because it's the right thing to do, mentoring the juniors to make them future leaders are long gone.

Now it's not 100% throughout the branches, but permeates even the small teams. kids who never learned discipline at home or had to work for what they got are the latest generation of servicemen and women.

Basic trainees that can call a timeout if they are overstressed by their Drill Sergeant, the ability to get out of field training because they are allergic to grass, can't come to formation or make it to work today because their kid has the flu and the wife has to work. senior NCO's and Officers that are overweight, out of shape, can't pass a PT test but still remain "in charge" and even get promoted! You name it and it happens!

You do have Taco Bell, Burger King, Subway in a combat zone ( well at least those in the rear with the gear do) "green zone"

I'm not discounting their service in anyway, so please don't get offended. Those in Uniform still provide that proverbial " blanket of freedom" I sleep under each day and for that I am thankful!

Again, not ALL are this way but a very large number are and it does affect readiness and morale. It is still the not the majority.

Sorry, that just spilled out!

Thank a Vet they deserve more than we can give
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I guess I should defend my son now -

He sent me that link because he thought it was funny; just as many people thought Seajay's list was funny. I guess if you can't take the heat you should stay out of the kitchen.

As for my son: he's in his 7th year as a sailor. In his first 5 years he was assigned to the Stennis, the Peleliu, the Nimitz, the Sampson, and the Chosin. That's 2 aircraft carriers, an amphibious Assault ship, and 2 smaller ships, seeing duty in the Arabian Gulf area as well as anti-piracy duty off Somalia. He also volunteered for a tour in Iraq, and re-upped while over there. His job is Mass Communications - he's had many of his photos published on the Navy's web page and in the various ships' newsletters. His current job is with the DOD - helping to keep the Armed Forces Network on the air for all our forces that don't have access to local TV and radio. He's a program director for AFN and had had many people around the world thank him for his work. He actually turned down an opportunity to work in the media department for Seal Team One to take this assignment.

So, if crotchety old guys like Seajay can post things that make fun of Navy life then don't get your panties in a bunch when ACTIVE DUTY sailors poke fun at themselves - we all have our own way of dealing with the daily stress of our jobs. You want to have your eyes opened try reading stuff that gets posted on the Paratrooper site I belong to!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Well I guess I should defend my son now -

He sent me that link because he thought it was funny; just as many people thought Seajay's list was funny. I guess if you can't take the heat you should stay out of the kitchen.

As for my son: he's in his 7th year as a sailor. In his first 5 years he was assigned to the Stennis, the Peleliu, the Nimitz, the Sampson, and the Chosin. That's 2 aircraft carriers, an amphibious Assault ship, and 2 smaller ships, seeing duty in the Arabian Gulf area as well as anti-piracy duty off Somalia. He also volunteered for a tour in Iraq, and re-upped while over there. His job is Mass Communications - he's had many of his photos published on the Navy's web page and in the various ships' newsletters. His current job is with the DOD - helping to keep the Armed Forces Network on the air for all our forces that don't have access to local TV and radio. He's a program director for AFN and had had many people around the world thank him for his work. He actually turned down an opportunity to work in the media department for Seal Team One to take this assignment.

So, if crotchety old guys like Seajay can post things that make fun of Navy life then don't get your panties in a bunch when ACTIVE DUTY sailors poke fun at themselves - we all have our own way of dealing with the daily stress of our jobs. You want to have your eyes opened try reading stuff that gets posted on the Paratrooper site I belong to!
To be clear I didn't disparage your son, I even commented he sent the link as a trade for the one you sent him. My comments were directed at the guys on the web site that were burning their uniforms etc...

If you took offense I will be the first to apologize to the parent of a son serving his country honorably.

You can't blame a bunch of old sailors for defending their Navy. We take comments like FTN personally.

I appreciate your sons sacrifice.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #20

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry if I offended you, not the intent as stated in my post. I thought the link had some funny parts but I also wanted to relay my observation over the past 3 decades in Military and Civil service.

I don't know your son and I applaud his choice to serve this great Nation! He is in the 1% of the population that chose or will choose to serve.

I'm sure that my dads generation believed my generation to be slackers comparatively to his.

Again, no harm no foul and no offense
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #21
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back to the original subject. Seajay... You forgot to nail a 2x4 to the base ant at 5 feet on every door to trip over and hit your head.

Also drag a hose in through a window and run fire drills at 0300 on a random day at least once a month

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-redneck View Post
Back to the original subject. Seajay... You forgot to nail a 2x4 to the base ant at 5 feet on every door to trip over and hit your head.

Also drag a hose in through a window and run fire drills at 0300 on a random day at least once a month
If you are going to go to the trouble of dragging fire hoses through the window don't forget they need to be charged and leaking so the new wax job on the deck has to be redone. If you have a choice of which berthing area to hold the drill go for the airdales or the marines.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Navy was a million dollar experience that I wouldn't pay a penny to relive.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The Navy was a million dollar experience that I wouldn't pay a penny to relive.
yep but i wouldn't sell my experiences and memories for a million.

Anytime I miss it too much I got outside at midnight in a freezing rain and stand at attention for 4 hours. That usually cures me.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
The navy was my stepping stone to a successful life and career. It was tough 1962 - 66 but I never regret the experiences and knowledge I received. I wish all our young people had to serve as they would most likely appreciate America and it's opportunities much sooner.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Those who serve know that without them we all would be speaking Chinese and paying taxes to Saudi Arabia.... but wait aren't we already ???
Old 09-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
With all respects to your son concerning the FTN link I have a few questions.
one. When he joined the NAVY did he not realize that the Navy has ships that float on the ocean and their primary purpose in life is to ''go to sea''?
two. There is no drafting into the Navy as I know. Did he join of his own free will or was he ''Shanghied''?
Three. I spent four years in the Navy with 30 months of that on the USS North Hampton. I crossed the ''pond'' several times and have probably half a million sea miles under my feet. This is why its called the NAVY not the Army. Sailors go to sea
Four.... In the Navy I served in you had two choices. Learn to ''use the system'' or try to ''fight the system.'' I learned to ''use the system'' because ''fighting the system'' means you will lose because there is a ''right way'' a ''wrong way'' and ''The Navy way'' and you can guess which way they do things.
Five. The Navy is discipline, pure and simple. Go with the discipline and it aint so bad. Go against the discipline, you will lose every time because the Navy has been there since time started and you have been there less than a year.
Six.... My Navy was back from 58 till 62 and I am sure it has changed more than I can imagine but the premise is the same. Sailors go to sea. At sea there is no Taco Bell, McD's, or Pizza joints. There is the ocean and most sailors only see the top of that. Yes there is lonesomeness, stupid details, low pay, lots of nothing and no privacy but it is not ''just you'' ... everyone stands on the same deck and in general eats the same chow and more than once I wished I had never joined the Navy. This is true of all services. EVERYONE WANTS TO BE A CIVILIAN AGAIN. We were 25 years a civilian and 4 years a Sailor.... Do the math, what are we Use to being?
Seven.... I think a lot of the ''problems'' I read about in that link go back to the parents and the way kids are raised these days. Kids are ''pampered'' from day one until they ''join the service and become a number between two other numbers''... I know kids that had never ridden a school bus to school. Mommy took them to school. I know kids that have NEVER BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING IN THEIR LIFE. Parents provided it all with no recourse on their parts. Parents always preached to the kids that ''It is not your fault'' even when they catch them doing drugs and alcohol it was never ''their fault'', they blamed the system, society, their friends and the litany of excuses I have heard said because ''Junior'' is now on probation.
Eight. My Navy did not pamper anyone and YOU WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOURSELF. In my Navy there was NO EXCUSE FOR ANYTHING. If you messed up, you stood on your own two feet and took the blame and suffered the punishment given you and, if you were smart, you tried not to make the same error again.
Nine. With respect to you and your son, I think the problem they find in the Navy can be seen every time they shave. The problem is looking at them from the mirror.. The problem is ''YOU''...
Ten..... No I was not a life long sailor. No I did not stay in the Navy. Yes I am glad I got out of the Navy because I became a successful business man and retired at age 55 and I will say this in defense of the Navy.
The Navy taught me how to be a MAN. How to stand on my own two feet and be responsible for ME, my errors and my successes. The Navy taught me not to ''whine'' about things I did not like and that I could not run to ''mommie'' if someone was mean to me. The Navy had a lot of responsibility in making me what I am today. In my 71 years I can not remember one person that got kicked out, or dropped out, or left the armed services under duress that ever amounted to much in later life. If you can not ''pass muster'' in the service, civilian life is a lot tougher and unless ''mommy and daddy'' can hand you a check every week, and make excuses for your failures, you aint gonna do so well out here either......

This is just my opinion, Yours may be different

God bless our service people of every stripe and color....
No.. my opinion is pretty much the same as yours.. That site SUCKED... bunch of whiners... and liars, from what I read of the 'guestbook'.

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Special note to Alan Hepburn.....
One. You have no need to DEFEND OUR SON .. Any person that will devote a portion of their life to the defense and servitude to this country thru Military Service is top shelf in my book .....
Two. Please understand this .... My first listing on here was sent to me by ''Salvagediver'' a friend and former Navy man I think. The first list was sent in fun and completely meant for humor. It was a satirical play on words referring to NAVY LIFE aboard our ships at sea and the sailors that sail them. Nothing more, Nothing less. It brought back a thousand memories and a lot of smiles and laughs as I remembered my time on the Norton. All of the satire described in the first post are kinda true to a point and were part of every sailors daily life aboard ship.........

From your post I clicked on the link to the ''F.T.N.'' and almost fell over. In my years in the Navy I never seen or heard references made toward the Navy and our ''leaders'' that I read on this link. I was truly amazed at the rhetoric posted by people that called themselves Sailors. True, Sailors and all military personnel gripe about food, pay, time off, their duty station, their mattress, their friend that snores and a million other things in the military. This is part of military life and it is present in all branches of our military. The posts I read in F.T.N. were the ''whining's of "Mommas Boys'' that had not learned to ''wipe themselves properly''... In the Navy I was in some of the statements in F.T.N. would have gotten you a Courts Martial, a Bad Conduct Discharge or worse and maybe a year in Leavenworth Prison to boot. I have personally seen this happen on more than one occasion. The people were called ''chronic bitchers'' and they got B.C.D's or Undesirable Discharges a cheap suit and a bus ticket back home. I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN.

I would like to go on the record and say that I greatly respect your son for his service to this nation. I highly respect any person that will give of themselves in service to this country and I ABSOLUTELY MEANT NO DISRESPECT TOWARD YOUR SON OR ANY MILITARY PERSON IN ANY STATEMENT THAT MAY BE MIS UNDERSTOOD CONCERNING MY POSTINGS.....

The core of my statement about the postings on F.T.N. is directed at the people that will not conform, will not ''man up'' and serve this country in the service they chose. One thing I really can not stand in the military and in life as it were is ''Mommas Boys'', ''Panty Waists'', ''Sissy Pants'', ''Candy A$$es'', and ''Kitten Wimps''. When you become a man be a Man and take your lumps as life hands them out and learn from them.....

Again, I have no problem with your son. If you will read my posts on here I think you will see that I hold our service personnel in the highest regard and I am the first to say ''THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE''....

To the gripers and the bitchers on F.T.N. I say get out of My Navy, grow your hair long and your beard long and go to work at Mickie D's and be one of the people that spend their life complaining instead of trying to make their life better. It is a fair bet that these same people will be whining and bitching about their job at Mickie D's in less than a month.

I truly hope this clears the air about my prospective in this matter.
No one on these forums has more respect and admiration for our troops than myself......

God bless our troops and bring them home real soon .......
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote