Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
Special note to Alan Hepburn.....
One. You have no need to DEFEND OUR SON .. Any person that will devote a portion of their life to the defense and servitude to this country thru Military Service is top shelf in my book .....
Two. Please understand this .... My first listing on here was sent to me by ''Salvagediver'' a friend and former Navy man I think. The first list was sent in fun and completely meant for humor. It was a satirical play on words referring to NAVY LIFE aboard our ships at sea and the sailors that sail them. Nothing more, Nothing less. It brought back a thousand memories and a lot of smiles and laughs as I remembered my time on the Norton. All of the satire described in the first post are kinda true to a point and were part of every sailors daily life aboard ship.........

From your post I clicked on the link to the ''F.T.N.'' and almost fell over. In my years in the Navy I never seen or heard references made toward the Navy and our ''leaders'' that I read on this link. I was truly amazed at the rhetoric posted by people that called themselves Sailors. True, Sailors and all military personnel gripe about food, pay, time off, their duty station, their mattress, their friend that snores and a million other things in the military. This is part of military life and it is present in all branches of our military. The posts I read in F.T.N. were the ''whining's of "Mommas Boys'' that had not learned to ''wipe themselves properly''... In the Navy I was in some of the statements in F.T.N. would have gotten you a Courts Martial, a Bad Conduct Discharge or worse and maybe a year in Leavenworth Prison to boot. I have personally seen this happen on more than one occasion. The people were called ''chronic bitchers'' and they got B.C.D's or Undesirable Discharges a cheap suit and a bus ticket back home. I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN.

I would like to go on the record and say that I greatly respect your son for his service to this nation. I highly respect any person that will give of themselves in service to this country and I ABSOLUTELY MEANT NO DISRESPECT TOWARD YOUR SON OR ANY MILITARY PERSON IN ANY STATEMENT THAT MAY BE MIS UNDERSTOOD CONCERNING MY POSTINGS.....

The core of my statement about the postings on F.T.N. is directed at the people that will not conform, will not ''man up'' and serve this country in the service they chose. One thing I really can not stand in the military and in life as it were is ''Mommas Boys'', ''Panty Waists'', ''Sissy Pants'', ''Candy A$$es'', and ''Kitten Wimps''. When you become a man be a Man and take your lumps as life hands them out and learn from them.....

Again, I have no problem with your son. If you will read my posts on here I think you will see that I hold our service personnel in the highest regard and I am the first to say ''THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE''....

To the gripers and the bitchers on F.T.N. I say get out of My Navy, grow your hair long and your beard long and go to work at Mickie D's and be one of the people that spend their life complaining instead of trying to make their life better. It is a fair bet that these same people will be whining and bitching about their job at Mickie D's in less than a month.

I truly hope this clears the air about my prospective in this matter.
No one on these forums has more respect and admiration for our troops than myself......

God bless our troops and bring them home real soon .......

I didn't read the FTN thing. Just the original post. I guess I will go
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #30

Those on that site are still called the ten percenters.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Okay - I guess I agree that the "guests" on that site did leave a bad taste in many instances. But the intent of the site itself was humorous - too bad the owner allowed the use of a guestbook!

As a paratrooper during the Vietnam era I am extremely proud of my service, although you would have heard a ton of griping if you were to listen to me and my fellow troopers back then. My son tried to join the Army to follow my footsteps, but he could never get in touch with a decent recruiter so he went Navy - signed on as a Photographer, which got rolled into Journalist while he was in Boot Camp, and then that got rolled into Mass Communications while he was in A school. He was then assigned to Public Affairs for the Pacific Fleet and got his trips on all those ships as a result. He's planning on going career and we're understandably proud of him! He's the 4th generation in our family to be military.

I apologize if I offended anybody - the next round of drinks are on me!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #32

Seajay - I always get a good feeling and a chuckle out of your posts? Keep 'em coming.

My brother-in-law was in the Navy and I was in the AF.....We constantly kid each other about what we went through. I call him a swab jockey with a bib and he calls me a bus driver.

My father was a lifer and I salute all those who stayed in and made the services the best in the world.

Now to think I could have been in the Marine Corps ...if I only could have got my head in the jar.
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
I was in the AF about the same time Seajay was a sailor. I was fixing Jets and did not know Starboard from a bilge. My son spent 8 years as a bridge officer and worked his way to a Unlimited Masters Lisc. He presently teaches at a Maritime Academy and the students all call him "Sir" or Captain with respect. He takes them throughout the world on a training ship and his students do all the work as he teaches each summer.
When I retired I bought a 50ft Trawler. (my avitar) Only experience I had was taking the kids out skiing. First time I called a Lock or a bridge attendent on my marine radio, they called me "Captain" and still do. Now I are a true sailor!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #34

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Hey SEAJAY.....I think we could add to your first list.....Is it not amazing how SMART dad and mom got during the 4 years we were in the service?

When I got in the Navy and was on my own in San Diego and then Yokosuka, Japan and had to for myself.....it was really me that got smarter.

Thanks to ALL who served and are serving now.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
To my brother sailors and all who served this great nation. It is a true pleasure to be counted among you veterans. To be honest, I feel as if I did not do anything toward the defense of this country while I was in the Navy. It was the time of the ''cold war'' with the ''Ruskies'' and I feel like we spent a lot of time ''watching each other''... Still, one of the greatest honors ever bestowed on me is to be called a ''Veteran'' like my dad. My father was US Navy combat veteran WWII South Pacific Theater aboard the USS Gunston Hall Lsd 6. We use to watch ''Victory at Sea'' on the TV back in the 50's and I could see a far away look in dads eyes. The program was about the war in the Pacific. They would show some of the invasions in the islands and dad would become very quiet. Sometimes he would whisper.... ''I was there and saw that''. We would watch for the Higgins boat he was on but we could never separate it from the others. Dad saw a lot of good men die and he felt guilty because they died and he came home unhurt. My dad was my hero and I spent my life trying to be worthy to be his son. He was the reason I joined the Navy. I wanted to prove I was as good a sailor as he was but I never came up to his shoe tops. I still miss him though he has been dead some 20 years now ......
Anyhow, gotta stop ,,,,, gettin sad ...still miss my dad......

God bless the Veterans of WWII...... They gave their lives that this country might be free.....think about it .....
Nuff said ....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seajay

I grew up in a Navy house........

I came home on leave from Boot Camp, My Dad was sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper(he always read the Obituary Page first, said that if he saw his name in the Obituary he was going to go back to bed )
Anyway I asked him if he had the coffee ready said it would be a couple of minutes. I poured him a cup and I poured myself a cup, after I sat down I asked if he had any cream and sugar, , He said "What did the Marine Corps do? Put a dress on you......Only (you fill it in this is a family web site) You have been drinking my coffee black since you were 5 years old!!!!
(I grew up drinking coffee and tea, no Kool-Aid or Sodas, my Mother was a Diabetic,long story) I was taught how to make a pot of coffee that could take the paint off the side of the USS Dixie AD-14 12ft below the water line. I will remember that morning until the day I die. Oh and by the way I drink my coffee black. Also I taught "She Who Must be Obeyed" to make a pot of coffee my Dad and my Father in Law would be proud of. (both Navy men)
My dad spent 30 years in the US Navy......When I joined the Marine Corps he called me everything except a white man.
He was in the Pacific during WWII he survived the sinking of the battleship USS California, and the sinking of the Heavy Cruiser USS Chicago, I think he was on the USS Mobile at the end of the war. I really enjoyed your post here made me think of some things that my Dad had around the house and a lot of things he did. He was Boatswains Mate.

Does growing up in a BMC's house qualify me to simulate being a Sailor?
"Semper Fi"
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
Seajay

I grew up in a Navy house........

I came home on leave from Boot Camp, My Dad was sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper(he always read the Obituary Page first, said that if he saw his name in the Obituary he was going to go back to bed )
Anyway I asked him if he had the coffee ready said it would be a couple of minutes. I poured him a cup and I poured myself a cup, after I sat down I asked if he had any cream and sugar, , He said "What did the Marine Corps do? Put a dress on you......Only (you fill it in this is a family web site) You have been drinking my coffee black since you were 5 years old!!!!
(I grew up drinking coffee and tea, no Kool-Aid or Sodas, my Mother was a Diabetic,long story) I was taught how to make a pot of coffee that could take the paint off the side of the USS Dixie AD-14 12ft below the water line. I will remember that morning until the day I die. Oh and by the way I drink my coffee black. Also I taught "She Who Must be Obeyed" to make a pot of coffee my Dad and my Father in Law would be proud of. (both Navy men)
My dad spent 30 years in the US Navy......When I joined the Marine Corps he called me everything except a white man.
He was in the Pacific during WWII he survived the sinking of the battleship USS California, and the sinking of the Heavy Cruiser USS Chicago, I think he was on the USS Mobile at the end of the war. I really enjoyed your post here made me think of some things that my Dad had around the house and a lot of things he did. He was Boatswains Mate.

Does growing up in a BMC's house qualify me to simulate being a Sailor?
"Semper Fi"
Hey I was on the Dixie for little over year before they decommissioned her.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:19 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Note to w6pea Marine ......

[Quote]..Does growing up in a BMC's house qualify me to simulate being a Sailor? [Quote]

Lol. My Marine friend please understand this. Growing up in a BMC's house and having the ''stones'' to join the Marine Corp instead of the Navy gets you a ''cut into the chow line'', ''first seat on the Liberty Boat'', ''a permanent liberty card'', ''great respect from me'' and ''your choice of duty station for your time in the Corp''..... lol.... I am amazed he did not disown you, have you keel hauled, quartered, hung, shot, and spanked severely and then thrown to the sharks for good measure. (just teasing of course)
God bless your father for his service to this great nation and God bless all who serve and have ever served this nation .......
Old 09-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Obviously you've "been there - done that" to all the above. BTW, you missed cleaning the bilge.
I'm not sure about Seajay. but I sure didn't miss it...

I think he left out the part about strapping yourself into your rack with utility belts if the weather was rough.

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=tmh462;954194
I think he left out the part about strapping yourself into your rack with utility belts if the weather was rough.[/QUOTE]

YEP,,,,,,, Been there and done that. We crossed the North Atlantic in February I think, coming home from Sweden/Norway etc. For about one week we were ''buttoned up'' with breakers bury the Number two gun tub and breaking over the ''Flag Bridge'' some of the time..... B I G W A T E R .... Could not set up tables in the mess hall. We ate off the deck. The mess cooks took up the salt and pepper shakers because the would ''jump out of the holders on the wall'' They slung the coffee from the overhead and if you got more than half a bowl of soup, it would run out of the bowl.
Several ''meals'' they only served ''cold cuts'' (horse appendage) because it was too dangerous for the cooks to light off a grill. It was like a continuous roller coaster ride and the Norton was about 670 feet long. I watched from secondary con watching water over 2 feet deep run off amid ship. Looked like Niagara falls some of the time. The old salts guessed the waves at least 40 feet high some of the time and I think those were the ''small ones''. The DD and the other ''small buoys'' went back to England to wait out the storm. Biggest water I seen in my life in the Navy. Only time I ever saw footprints on the bulkheads two feet off the deck. We did not ''stand in the chow line'' we ''danced in the chow line'' from one bulkhead to the other, rockin' and rollin' jumpin' and divin'. The really ''Bad A$$'' weather was about 48 hours straight and the run up to it and run down from it was the rest of it.
Never let it be said that the North Atlantic can not get really mean when she is in a BAD MOOD.
Been there ,,,,,,, Done that and I never got sea sick but a bunch of our people did.......lol....

God bless all who sail the deep oceans of the world and God bless all who serve no matter their uniform color or rateing strip .....

Nuff said for now.....
Old 09-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #41
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
(Back on the lighter side)

I will not mention names, but someone called a "porthole" a "window." Ouch!

Hey guys, I have used the term FTN (affectionately) for a long, long, long time, mostly when I wanted to start a bar fight.

Here's the thing about throwing around expletives about rival services. There is a time and place to do it, and the meaning is construed to be that of the place one is in and the circumstances that it is used, at that time and place. I have not read the FTN site. I don't have any intention to do so, since I have the gist of it from the title, and the posting on this thread. I have seen the FTN spray painted in the "head" back in the early '60's. I can just about guarantee you that whoever sprayed it was upset about something, but not as upset as the Captain was. I don't know if they ever found out who did it.

To all who have served, to all those who would have liked to have served, and to all those who stayed home and protected our loved one on our soil;

Thank you.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Riding the trash can across the mess hall in rough seas...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote