Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What??? You mean that I'm not getting the $3million dollars from Nigeria? Darn, I was ready to put a down-payment on a new MH. Oh well, easy come, easy go....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #16

Hi All, My DW was just hit by a really insidious scam. Her Email account and all of her Contacts (Hotmail) were compromised.
A fictitious Email was sent to each address on her contact list claiming she and family ( that must be me and our sons) were mugged in Wales, her credit cards and cash were stolen but she had retained her passport. The Embassy arranged for a flight but the Hotel refused to clear the check-out. The request was for $2500 in cash needed immediately.
Many people on her list knew we traveled often so this story was reasonable, good guess.
Her Email account pass word was blocked so she could not get in to reply to her contact list. We don't know how that occurred, and to make matters worse she could not recall the answers to all the code questions she used 10+ years ago when she set up the account, you know the ones.
The worst was the not so close contacts, co-workers, distant friends etc, who may have responded the criminal involved. We found out when our sons received the request and from my sister who worked with her was contacted by a person they had both worked with, my Wife is a recently retired Teacher.
My Wife and I are still trying to work this out.
BE WARNED!
Robert

Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #17

Be very cautious and sceptacle of any enticing offering in any manner. Basically if it sounds good, be extra careful. If it sounds really good, be extremely cautious.
I have dealt with Paypal quite a bit and all of my experiences have been great. It is by far the quickest way to pay for anything, or to be paid for anything. Both parties (sender and receiver) must have paypal accounts already established. Paypal actually is very dedicated to clear, clean and speedy transactions. They very aggressively seek out and stop any known scams.

I can pretty well assure you that this so called buyer is not affiliated directly with the US Marine Corp. The Corp would literally turn him inside out if they even suspicioned something such as this. Two other key factors are the use of a 3rd party and an international telephone number.

Good Luck, Larry
ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
How to tell if a car salesman is lying... His lips are moving
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #19

When I was deployed in Iraq last year someone hacked into my Paypal account and transferred over $500 to thier account. I later found out they did this to several others too. It took 4 months for the investagation and eventually received a refund. I then closed out my account.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Scams depend on GREED. Your GREED. If something isn't yours than don't attempt to take it. This simple rule of thumb will defeat almost all scams. If it feels wrong stay away and you'll be OK. If you should miss cash you didn't earn and weren't expecting it's no loss.

Dick
Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Dirk,

IMMEDIATELY REmove the link from your post...clicking on that link sends you too a false paypal site (THAT IS HOW THEY GET YOUR INFO)
In this case, I believe it is the real PayPal site.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #22
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Or here: PayPal Scam
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Or here: PayPal Scam
thats a good link, sent that to a few people i know who use paypal on a regular basis, just in case
Old 08-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Federal Trade Commission has oversight on these types of incidents.

FTC Privace/ID Theft

This is only one page of the FTC web site. You will find a huge amount of information on their web site.

Think back 20-30 years. The Nigerian Scam (419 Scam) proliferated the facsimile world. The US Secret Service was the investigation authority. Laws were put into affect regarding this type of activity using facsimile. 20-30 year later is is proliferating the internet. I'm not sure if the SS is still the investigation authority or if the FTC is now handling it as the "one-source-stop." In the 20 to 30 years of that scam there has only been one instance where a group of people were arrested in the US. None have ever been arrested in Nigeria, as it was many years ago the 3rd per capita income of that nation. It probably still is.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Virtual numbers

I have a different take on using credit cards online. I use CitiCard with virtual numbers. It works this way: When I am ready to purchase, I being up the CitiCard Application on the screen. I sign in and ask it to give me a virtual number. The card then generates a number, along with an expiration date and the three digit code. I click on auto fill and it is done. The great thing about the virtual number is that it can only be used once. Even if someone gets the number it can not be used for another purchase because it is a one-time usable number. Each purchase uses a new virtual number. Joe
Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
ROFLMAO

A read on the Nigerian 419 Scam:

Caution: Contains Offensive Language in the link.
Scroll down and read the Albert Fred posts.

Ebola Monkey Man Scam
Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hi Dirk

It's a scam.

"Your" phone number is listed in this scam directory - scrool down and you will find it highlighted in yellow:

419 Scam / Fake Lottery – 2010-08 Scam Phone Numbers

Don't waste your time.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Hi Dirk

It's a scam.

"Your" phone number is listed in this scam directory - scrool down and you will find it highlighted in yellow:

419 Scam / Fake Lottery – 2010-08 Scam Phone Numbers

Don't waste your time.
thats an huge list,
someone sent me this about a british scam
Nine arrested as iPhone scam cost phone firm 1.2m in a month | Metro.co.uk