Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #1

Foretravel Owners Club
How was your Solar Experience& what all did you see/do?

Madras, Oregon
We went... We saw....
IT WAS AWSUM!

Over 5,500 campers just in our section with quite a few other farms hosting campers..
Saw everything from Brand new RV's to "It's Brand NEW AND IT BROKE", to rentals of every color & stripe, to "It's old but still does the job", to those being towed with a rope....
And radios blaring to outdoor entertainment centers going full blast to quiet & peaceful, and the smell of "left handed cigarettes in the air" (reminded me of Woodstock!)
Going to the event just had moderate traffic, Leaving was a 'nuther matter.
We waited until Tuesday to leave, not bad other than the forest fires & smoke.

In summation ..We had fun.... Our showers in the RV were plentiful & hot, the beer was cold & the ICE CREAM WAS FROZEN!!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We lit in a state park in the Georgia mountains within the path of totality. Reserved the spot in February. This park had superior WiFi and we were able to stream information we desired. There weren't a lot of people in the park but the park was full. It was nice and quiet and we had a full view of the event. Clouds stayed away and we experienced a life changing sight.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #3

Traveled from Michigan to Hopkinsville Kentucky.
Huge farmers field with 80 campers and > 150 people.
One flush toilet and sink.
Everyone very quiet the night before.

Four firsts for me:
Brought two cats who seemed to enjoy the whole experience.
Used awning the first time.
Used AC under generator power for the first time. Glad we had it with 96 F temp.
Used outside TV for the first time. Turned on the eclipse coverage while it happened.

Everything worked perfect on our slightly less than one year old RV except current wife broke the vanity mirror.

Well worth the trip.
The passing from 99% to 100% was like someone turned of the light switch.
Very dramatic.

Impromptu picnic a few hours before eclipse by a group of about 15 strangers.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:44 PM   #4

We were in Branson, MO. It was supposed to be around 90%. I did not experience a significant decrease in daylight, like i would have thought. I did see the herringbone effect of sunlight on the ground as it was filtered through the trees. We were in Branson for vacation.
mitw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Months ago I had intended to head to Hopkinsville, KY but many circumstances prevented that. I left work early enough to get home and experience it with my wife. I set up a pair of Celestron 20x70 SkyMaster binoculars on a tripod to project the eclipse on our deck. At max occulation which was bout 92% for us it was evident that the ambient light was greatly reduced from an hour earlier and there was a definate stir in the air.

Looking forward to 2024. I will be fully retired and we'll head into the path a couple of days prior in our coach.
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #6

We watched from the amphitheater at the Gros Ventre campground in Teton National park. I see a lot of mother nature over the years, having been to more than a dozen different countries, every US state, and done things like taking in Teton National Park from the top of the Grand Teton. I have even traveled for and taken in an annular or ring of fire eclipse. The total eclipse however has to rate as the most spectacular and awe inspiring natural display I have ever seen. Unfortunately, it didn't last anywhere near long enough, and I desperately want to do it again.
Searching_Ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #7

We're in central FL and supposedly had about 75-80%. I expected it to get darker. It really only looked like it does when the sun goes behind clouds for a few minutes. It was cool, though. I wish we had had the forethought to go to the N. GA mountains. We love it there and could've included a mountain trip with this. Oh well, maybe 2024.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by c92vette View Post
We lit in a state park in the Georgia mountains within the path of totality. Reserved the spot in February. This park had superior WiFi and we were able to stream information we desired. There weren't a lot of people in the park but the park was full. It was nice and quiet and we had a full view of the event. Clouds stayed away and we experienced a life changing sight.
Where in the Ga mountains? I lived in Blairsville and Hiawassee GA area for years.

It truly was an awe inspiring, amazing sight. We had 2:12 of totality sitting in our yard in Lenoir City TN. I closed my office so my staff and I could enjoy. So glad I did.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We were at Moccasin Creek State Park out of Clayton Ga.

Tags
solar