Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #29

We have 5 kids between the ages of 12 and 16. Every where we went they wanted us to get two hotel rooms. We travel a bit to do triathlons so this was expensive. Now we enjoy camping too. My kids and I had camped. My wife and her kids had not. So this was a great way to get some camping in without her being in a tent. Before the RV she thought the La Quinta was roughing it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #30

We started our process a couple of years ago with a suggestion from our daughter to "get some kind of camper." We started going to RV shows and searching internet. We went from wanting a TT to a 5th wheel, and finally decided on a MH. My husband dillegently searched internet and talked to everybody who would listen and decided on a Newmar. We found the one we wanted at Claremore,OK and started the process last October. Have not regretted getting it one minute. Have taken a couple of week long trips and are anxious for another in two weeks. Have also enjoyed a few weekend outings with grands and kids. Love the lifestyle and can't wait to retire and travel more extensively - although not full time......yet.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #31

My favorite memories of my Dad are from our child hood camping trips. I treasure the early morning walks we took while the others were still sleeping. Camping is in my blood. My extended family , aunts, uncles and cousins all camp. We have family reunion camp outs. So no big deal for me when I bought my first camper...a 1994 Coleman tent trailer...I usually was a curiosity, young single female rolling in, set up the pop up, screen room, stove, all by myself. I kept that camper for 8 years, then graduated to my first TT...a cute 16 ft trailer that I soon outgrew as my fur kids began traveling too. Now I have a nice KZ spree, perfect for me and the pups and enough room for a guest.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #32

As a kid my family always camped. At first it was just us in a shabby little travel trailer, then an old dodge class a motorhome which are where all the best memories were made as I grew up. We used that motorhome right up until the 90's until the floor rotted out and the roof began to leak. It was a sad day to see that old beast get dragged off for parts.

Years later, I'm now 30 and moved out on my own to Vancouver BC where over the last few years I realized camping isn't as easy to coordinate as it was in my small woodsy interior town. Last year after some serious childhood reminiscing I got the RV bug and began combing craigslist and kijiji, at first thinking only a little trailer would be in my budget. As I got to searching I realized the older Class C's were actually more affordable in many cases than the equivalent travel trailers. So after scoping out a few candidates and looking like a complete idiot as I asked typical first timer questions... (lol) I found my baby! A 1982 Transtar Champion Class C on a Chevy chassis. I was born in '82 and coincidentally the papers to transfer ownership to me were signed and processed on my actual birthday. For only $3200, with all new rubber, a rebuilt tranny and a strong 350 I really felt I couldn't go wrong... so a happy birthday to me it was! Lol. I named it Brüzer and in the short year I've had him I've already been on several adventures with friends, family, and even solo. It's honestly helped me feel more grown up than ever before as I see myself doing things I used to watch my dad do. I never told him I bought it and just showed up in it one day. He was stunned with a massive grin on his face. We spent an entire day going over it, top to bottom, in and out, it was a great father son bonding session. All in all - I bought my rv because it reminds me of pleasant, simple, innocent times from childhood. It brings me closer to my friend's and family, it gives me freedom to drive off somewhere random for a day or two to reflect on myself and escape the craziness of the city. I love Brüzer!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #33

We actually started this whole crazy (but great) lifestyle because my wife, two daughters, and 4 grandchildren thought it would be cheaper to rent a Class C RV and drive home to Iowa rather then fly everyone there, what were they thinking

So me and the DW decided to go look for an RV to rent (never even looked at a rental) and came home in a brand new 2013 29' Coachman Freelander

After their trip home to Iowa (did I mention I didn't get to go) we did a few little camping trips around the state and fell in love with RV'ing. We decided that we wanted to do it full-time. So we had an "Everything Must Go Sale" for two weeks, and rented out the big house that wouldn't sell. We knew in the back of our heads that the 29 footer wasn't going to work so one wet and cold Saturday we decided to go out and "Just Look" at DP's. Well wouldn't you know it, we came home in a 45' 2006 Travel Supreme

One year later and one wild and crazy winter later we are still at it and still loving it
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
As a child I loved tenting with my parents. I always remember the smell of those old canvas tents.I bought a boat, contrary to my DW's best advice and 3 years later sold it (second happiest day of my life). DW had RV'd before we met and she loved it. Always raved about it. My buddy had bought a TT and was out every weekend raving about what a great time he was having and that we should buy a TT as well. We tok him seriously and bought a 5er and havent looked back. Absolutely love getting out in it. The kids are at an age were they can look after themselves and are busy with work and friends so DW and I can head out more often. We do one big, month long trip in the summer and are looking forward to warmer climes in the winter in our RV.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I retired at 58. Me and my little girl (100 lab mix) started going places. The motels wouldn't let her in. So we got us a Terra LX 31M. She has a queen size bed and her own seat. Made her a shelf to hang out the window, she wants the side mirror moved. Told her she was going to have to live with it. We have been in 49 states and two provinces many lakes and streams. As long as the money wholes out we will be on the road.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
After 20 years in the Army, I never thought I'd enjoy camping. Time spent in the woods while in the Army was usually for field training exercises and wasn't exactly a picnic or camping trip. Had no desire to camp.

Then a friend from work invited us to camp with him and his family. Our camping gear consisted of the clothes on our back a couple of ice chests and a flashlight. He said don't worry about a thing, we've got an extra tent and everything we need, just bring food and drink.

We had such a wonderful time that weekend. Thank you John, Love you for that brother! From that point on we were hooked. We accumulated our first camping gear at various yard sales and a 10x20 tent from Target. We used that Target tent from 97 till 2007, then upgraded to a nicer tent. By that time we had all sorts of stuff than filled up several bins.

Around 2008, we started going to tailgate parties at the University where our son attended and played in the marching band. We always just attended others tailgate parties, but thought a RV of some sort would be nice for that to do our own tailgate parties and for camping. Pickup truck is 1/2 ton so 5th wheel options were limited, as were travel trailer options. In December of 2010 we sold some stock from that little publicly traded coffee company everyone's heard of and got our 2005 National 34' Dolphin. Tailgating took on a whole new level, as did camping. Driving from Reno to San Fran to attend a bowl game and overnight on the wharf was awesome.

We've got several camping trips planned and already booked for the summer and a big 1200 mile drive, Harley in tow, to Sturgis SD in August.

Have joined several forums, but iRV2 is the only one I'm a paid member of. Things learned from so many people here on the forum have been so valuable. Who knows how much money or headache it's saved me, taking advice from members. Hope to attend an iRV2 National Rally one of these days.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #37

I grew up on a farm and we could never leave as the crops would not grow if we left. :-) DW and I bought a used self contained pickup camper the year after we were married, spent three weeks traveling the eastern part of the country, then six weeks traveling the west the next year, came home and sold the rig for what we had paid for it and thought we were done traveling. Children, pop up campers, TT when the children left home, and finally a Class A. The only way to travel is by camping. We sold our first popup and stayed in motels for awhile, but when our oldest daughter (age 8) asked if we could get another camper because people in the camp grounds were friendlier, we did. Now she and her husband have a pop up and enjoy camping, something he had never done as a child. Life is good...camping!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering Retiree View Post
I grew up on a farm and we could never leave as the crops would not grow if we left. :-) DW and I bought a used self contained pickup camper the year after we were married, spent three weeks traveling the eastern part of the country, then six weeks traveling the west the next year, came home and sold the rig for what we had paid for it and thought we were done traveling. Children, pop up campers, TT when the children left home, and finally a Class A. The only way to travel is by camping. We sold our first popup and stayed in motels for awhile, but when our oldest daughter (age 8) asked if we could get another camper because people in the camp grounds were friendlier, we did. Now she and her husband have a pop up and enjoy camping, something he had never done as a child. Life is good...camping!
Very nice. Thanks for sharing that. Made me smile.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #39

In Jan of this year my family went camping with some friends from work. We rented a 12' scamp trailer and the kids loved it!! The next weekend the wife and I went to an rv dealer to look at a few travel trailers for the heck of it. We drove off the lot in a 32' Coachmen Freelander class C and never looked back! I love it!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
In 1975 my future husband took me on a camping trip with his family - I was hooked. We had his pickup truck and everyone else in his family had some kind of RV. We got married in 1976 and bought our first truck camper. Our daughter was born in 1978 so we needed a larger/nicer camper. I have now had a total of 8 RV's and still love it. I am divorced now and share my current 30 ft. class C with my 2 great dogs to keep me company. Over the years I have had 3 truck campers, a Toyota 17.5 ft micro-mini MH, a Kountry Air 29 ft. 5th wheel, an Allegro class A, and 2 class C motorhomes.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S.
In 1975 my future husband took me on a camping trip with his family - I was hooked. We had his pickup truck and everyone else in his family had some kind of RV. We got married in 1976 and bought our first truck camper. Our daughter was born in 1978 so we needed a larger/nicer camper. I have now had a total of 8 RV's and still love it. I am divorced now and share my current 30 ft. class C with my 2 great dogs to keep me company. Over the years I have had 3 truck campers, a Toyota 17.5 ft micro-mini MH, a Kountry Air 29 ft. 5th wheel, an Allegro class A, and 2 class C motorhomes.
So Barbara with all the different types of motorhomes you've had which is your favorite? Class A, C, truck camper?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Which is my favorite? I have enjoyed them all, so it is hard to pick a favorite. Each one has a benefit. I love my class C, but have been wanting to get a class A so I could have more room. The 5th wheel trailer was great for camping but traveling with 3 or 4 humans plus dogs in a pickup truck (not crew cab) didn't work for us. I like being able to walk around in the motorhome when necessary for bathroom breaks or fridge raids and having the rig cooled down when I arrive at a camping location. I also like the ease of parking a motorhome vs. a trailer.

Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving