Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #43
Winnebago Owners Club
Neighbors talked to us bout the advances of traveling with our dog in a RV having our bed and space when visiting our daughter. They had one went with them for a short trip. I was hooked my DH took a little longer He like it but not over thrilled with the driving of our 2004 sightseer 35 ft. But this new sightseer 33c. He loves driving it planning a trip this summer to Branson Mo

Sightseer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #44
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
we started when someone darn near gave us an rv. we had thought about maybe getting one when we retired (10 more years), but now we can start a bit early.

1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #45
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When I was little, I camped with a tent and then a pop up. For some reason the family drifted away from camping until I was 19 and my Dad rented a 23' Mini Winnie. We took a two week trip from LA to Sequoia to Yosemite over to San Francisco then down the coast. It was a great trip and one that stayed with me.

Jump twenty-five years. It is really beginning to be problematic with hotels and my disability. They keep putting me upstairs instead of the downstairs handicapped rooms (which I am and have the state ID card), claiming that they are not required to give disabled people rooms on the ground floor. The dogs do not like it any more than I do.

Then I was at a show and see a small trailer being pulled by a mini-van. I go over and ask the lady who has it tons of questions and she gives me the 'tour'. Light bulb!! This would be perfect!! No more hotels and we would have our own home, own food, own bed, stay on site.

Then begins the search for one. Since I didn't know if I would like it, I set a budget and try to find the best I can for it and one that my van can tow. It takes a year but I found my 18' TT. I fell in love with the lifestyle and take more camping trips than I do for dog shows.

Then I decide that the van is dogging out too much on grades, so get an older V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee to pull the TT. SUCH a difference!!

However, my disability continues to get worse and I know my days of being able to hitch/unhitch, set up/break camp- with a TT-- are quickly drawing to a close.

So I begin the search for a Class A MH and after 14 months found one that exceeded my hopes and costs quite a bit under what I hoped to pay. She is darn near perfect with every option that I could have wanted and at 32', the dogs love it just as much as I do-- more room for them to play

Again, I have spent FAR more time camping, with her, than I have taking her to dog shows.

I have every intention of keeping her for a long time. She was VERY well cared for and I have done some work and plan to do more. One of the best parts is that, with careful driving, I get 10 miles to the gallon.
-- which is about what I was getting with the Jeep pulling the TT.

1990 Itasca Suncruiser 32'
1996 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
7 Pomeranians, a white Chuihuhia & a 1982 Honda Express Scooter
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #46
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I decided when the kids were little after my dad died to take my mom on a trip to Florida. There were 4 of us and I didn't think the kids would like traveling in a car so I rented a class C. That was interesting especially when I turned on a mountain road somewhere in Kentucky or Tennessee. It was DOWNHILL. I remember you could see straight down and the brakes were getting hot. I was scared (*^%$$%less. There was even a car waiting at the base who had passed me to see if we made it ok. But I still liked it I was pretty adventuresome back then. But we couldn't afford one so that was about 1977.

Fast forward to about 2008. I enjoyed traveling but hated hotel rooms some were just too nasty to suit me. I couldn't think about anything but what could be lurking all over in them, yuck.

I was bored to tears, hubby had been working overseas since 2001, he only got home about 4 times a year, yes I have plenty to do around here but was antsy. DD and I went on some cruises they are nice and I will go on more but I wanted something else. He said wait until I retire and we will travel but he was talking about working till age 70!! Say what? I told him with my bad feet and back by 70 I may not be able to walk, what was I supposed to do the next 8 years with myself?

One day on the way to a rental I saw an old Class C motorhome, think about an 88. I took it for a drive the next day and bought it. Oh by then I was 62 and had enough income from SS and other income to support one, well at least partially so I bought it. Hubby couldn't believe it but jumped in and worked on it. We redid a lot of the inside, he fixed a lot on the outside. But he worried the oil pressure wasn't high enough. DD and I took it on some trips and it ran and did fine but I just couldn't see out of it good. I even sat on a pillow but it was awkward. Hubby said go get a nicer newer one if you want to. So I went to PPL found me a 2005 Winnie 29 footer. Had it inspected and took it for some repairs. Had it a couple years, drove over 20,000 miles but the wind blew it, trucks blew it, and even though he made all kinds of mods to it it made me tired driving it. But it was mechanically fine and I loved the visibilty, great couch, had over 50k on it when I sold it to my insurance agent and used no oil or anything, he got a fine coach. But I told him over 35mph winds it was work to drive.

We still had it when we found the old Eagle, hubby fell in love with it. It did have things I wanted, a W/D, stand alone icemaker, full bathroom like home and a comfortable second bed in the living room. We didn't think there was as much wrong as there was but got it anyway. Hubby was going to do the work and we did a lot, particularly coating the roof and I took out and put in all new skylights and new domes etc on the roof. But its big 38 ft, this is the biggest I can go. He said a couple months ago that it would take him a year to fix it no longer then he was home (I knew that, but let him come to that realization) After 44 years of marriage you learn these things. So he said go get the stuff done, so this week its in for the final stuff anything else, little things he can do over time.

I was scared to death driving the first one, the second I had to drive home on my first outing through Houston traffic south to north white knuckle all the way.

This one I've had out on 3 100 mile drives and I like driving it especially on the open road, rock solid and don't even know my toad is back there. But I know with the diesel and the air brakes and the size there is a learning curve. I'm 66, he is still working and likes his job, DD is all excited about traveling, she loves it and of course dad likes doing things for her. When he is home for now he likes being home and I sure understand that. So we are each getting to do what we want to do. When he retires, I think it will be 68 instead of 70 if he decides to go he said we will get a newer one with slides. But for now this is just fine for daughter and I. Hope we get going next week, that's the plan for now.

I love it and she does to, and hubby is happy that we are happy!
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #47
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
That sounds VERY cool!!!

1990 Itasca Suncruiser 32'
1996 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
7 Pomeranians, a white Chuihuhia & a 1982 Honda Express Scooter
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
back in the 70's I sold some company stock (that I worked for). I made enough to purchase a new pop-up. That is how I started. We have now been full time 4 years.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #49
I've grown up camping since I was born, although I don't remember before we had a motorhome (got it when I was about 2) my parent assure me that we were tent campers.

As I got older and moved out, I would join my parents out camping. They in their motorhome and I in my tent. That worked well & fine (even after I had my daugthter) until I had my son and so we got a motorhome. She's an oldie but goodie (78 dodge brougham) but she pulls my trailer with buggy & quad, just fine. Well to the places we go, now I know I wouldn't push her to make the August trip and so we are looking to get a newer motorhome.

Right now we have our eye on a 1999 Residency with under 29k miles.

Just trying to pass down to my kids what my parents passed down to me. Experiences that last a lifetime.
kat_nda_sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #50
We have done the "camping thing" through all the steps from a tent to a MH.....did the pop up, slide-in truck camper, TT, and smaller Class A. We did this years ago when our boys (now 34 & 31) were younger. We all have great memories of those years. It really is good, wholesome family time.
As happens with teens, they lost interest and became involved in local sports which made it hard to get away on weekends. We even went on a 2 week trip from FL to VA with friends - they in their MH and us in ours. Lots of fun and memories. We sold the MH and didn't go RVing for years. However, we always looked back on it with such fond memories, and when we saw any kind of RV on the road, those warm, fuzzy feelings would come back. After about 17 years of not camping or RVing, we decided to get back into it, so we just bought a used 38' DP and are going to part-time it for now and see where it goes from there. We're seriously considering the fulltime lifestyle. We've been going on long weekend trips locally and love it. We're going on a 2 month trip this summer and will figure out what to do with the S&B when we get back.
Hope to meet all of you on the road somewhere!!

Gene, Gayle, Oliver (the dog-but don't tell him)
2007 Mandalay Valencia 38C
2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate, Air Force One braking
There's just something about
G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't make a habit of bumping my own threads but I have been fascinated by the stories.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #52
Monaco Owners Club
Ok - I'll go.
I grew up tent camping and loved every minute of it. After marriage and two babies, I still wanted to camp but the DH just wasn't thrilled. One day he brought home a Pace Arrow Class A that he bought at the car auction. It was a BEAST - And I wasn't thrilled.

But after that first excursion with all those amenities I was sold. Over the next 15 years we have bought and sold probably 7 or 8 rigs all at auction.

The Class C's had the best layout for kids and dogs, but now the kids are in their 20s and we love our DP.

Headed out next week for Independence Day and the first week of Dungeness Crab Season!

1997 Monaco Windsor 32'
1997 Jeep Wrangler
chickendogs is offline   Reply With Quote