Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Cool Howdy Ya'll

Hi,
My wife ,Pat, and I just joinediRV2. We don't have an RV yet, but are in the market, probably in Mar 14. Culd you kind folks give us the 411 on Gas vs Diesel Class "A's". We're having a hard time trying to deciede
Thanks,
Tim and Pat

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #2

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Welcome to the forum, good luck with your shopping and purchase.

booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevTim View Post
Hi,
My wife ,Pat, and I just joinediRV2. We don't have an RV yet, but are in the market, probably in Mar 14. Culd you kind folks give us the 411 on Gas vs Diesel Class "A's". We're having a hard time trying to deciede
Thanks,
Tim and Pat

diesels are more expensive to purchase and to maintain. so, it depends on how you are going to use your moho and your budget.

ask questions and members of this forum will endeavor to answer.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks,
Tim and Pat

Hi And Welcome Tim,

In my honest opinion it depends on how you are going to use your coach, we live in ours full time and knew that we wanted a diesel coach, also for the fact that we were going to be pulling a Jeep product. You want to consider the amount of weight you are going to pull, the amount of weight your worldly possessions are going to weigh as well. If you are just going to be a weekender or short traveler consider a gas, but you will have to find a smaller toad, simply because a gas coach cannot pull the weight of a heavy toad combined with the weight of your possessions. A diesel will give you greater traveling distance and I think you will actually find the maintenance costs are about the same. Oil changes just once a year versus every 3000 miles, I mean I can get an oil change on my coach including all the filters for $200.00 thats not expensive at all since I'll have driven coast to coast twice before I need to change oil again, but over all always consider to buy used first, it will get you into a unit cheaper, especially if you buy from a private seller, but be very cautious and look things over 150%

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks,
Tim and Pat
I agree with Jeff, except on the towing a toad deal, we have a Gasser and we tow a mini van behind it and have had no trouble doing so. Now keep in mind we tow the van on a tow dolly and not on all 4's and the dolly has brakes as well. One other thing that is a major difference is the ride, Most gass class a's are a rather rigid(stiff) ride and the Diesels are for the most part an air ride system. And Yes, Buy Used the first time around and maybe even the 2nd time unless you can handle the sticker shock on new as well as the curb loss of money the day you drive it off the lot. And for the record, the MPG realy isn't that much different unless you plan to spend all your time in the moutains then the diesel will win hands down!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #7

Good advice above
Get your feet wet with a used one first especially if you are not going full timing right away.
Remember, trust NO ONE (and I mean NO ONE) on the condition of a used RV. If you don't know how to inspect one on your own GET SOMEONE WHO DOES and hire them to work for YOU only. You will be big money ahead by doing this.
Learn all you can by reading old threads here so you can weed out the dead beats before you spend money on an inspection. Good used ones can be found but you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a Prince.
ABOVE ALL- DO NOT BUY THE FIRST RV YOU SEE - NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE SELLER SAYS IT IS!
There are good ones out there but they all have problems to one degree or another. The longer an RV has sat un-driven the more likely it will have problems. 15 years old and only 15,000 miles with original tires ????? Be careful.
Also, always plan on new tires all the way around regardless of how they look unless the date code on the tires (check each and every one of them) is 5 years or less old. Blow one tire on an old gasser and the repair bill might be more than the RV is worth.
Go ahead and start looking. The search and the learning is half the fun. It's like digging for gold. You don't find nuggets every day but when you do--
Old 11-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi and welcome to the forum. My advice is to look at and road test a few gassers of different makes and sizes and the same with diesels. Somewhere in the mix you will find what will suit you the best. Make sure you get them out on the highway and really get the feel of how they handle.
Some gas units ride a little harsher and have handling problems in the wind. They are also cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain.
Diesel pushers generally ride and handle better but can cost more to buy and maintain. They generally go further between service intervals. You will get alot of opinions from both sides so take out of it what will work for you. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #9

A big ole Texas Howdy right back atcha. We've never had a coach less than 10 yrs. old. We've loved every one. Driven them coast to coast,Love the DSDP the most.