Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by diandtom View Post
We are still having wind gust and pouring rain,power went out at 5 a.m. this morning,heard that 98% of our county is without power and with a lot of trees down no telling when we will get it back.
Thank goodness you guys still have a great sense of humor and that you are on the air. The hurricane is completely out of here in fact the wind outside at this hour is 0 MPH (calm)

I'm glad to see that you made it through OK! Now we'll have something to talk about around the evening camp fire!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #30

In Amityville LI and it is raining quite bad now..10:41pm. We had thunder and lightening awhile ago. This is the LONGEST day ever. Only to be out done by the LONGEST NIGHT ever I'm sure.
Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #31
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
2245hrs Whiting NJ Irene has arrived tornado warnings all over the area the weather radio is going off every 5 minutes, heavy rain and wind they say the worst will be overnight until morning, they are replacing roof shingles in the adult community we live in for the past few weeks all the construction equipment ladders plywood etc was lying a few feet from where the motorhome is stored l asked them to put the stuff in a protected place away from the rv's, guess who did it yesterday and this morning, the dingbats probably didn't speak English all they did was shake their head and give thumbs up.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #32

GG1..well, wasn't that special re: the supplies.
Hope all is well in the end. It is bad enough when you are in a Hurricane, but even worse when you have to worry about a motor home too!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
0400 here in Virginia. Ground saturated; trees and power lines down; police and fire trying to clear roads; power lines down; I guess we are fortunate compared to some of the ocean communities.
Yondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:49 AM   #34

445 am here in amityville..still have power it is not here yet in full force, but has been torrential rain for hours.
Yondog..is it done by you?
I have not checked my basement yet..what's the use? I know there's water.
Hope motorhome is ok...

Guess we'll all compare notes in a day or so...keep safe.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:56 AM   #35

Great was just issued a tornado warning for my town
Old 08-28-2011, 03:03 AM   #36

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Had 9 pines that were dead or dying cut down at our campsite on Tuesday (during the earthquake?). Rather have them taken down then have the RV, shed and pergola potentially suffer damage. Going down later today to check and see if everything is ok.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was up this morning about six oclock and flipped on CNN on the ''boob tube''. Here was some ''weather person'' standing out in the rain, with his coat flapping in the breeze talking into a microphone about how the sand had washed up on the board walk at Far Rockaway. Yep, there was sand on the boardwalk and the buildings were soaking wet. He pointed out how the ocean had came crashing over the two foot high sand berm and how the three foot waves had cascaded into the pilings of the boardwalk causing erosion of the sand around the piling and how the howling winds (50 mph) had literally ripped off a sign that was now hanging by one nail on the side of a bar right on the beach facing this tremendous storm that was devastation Rock away with the financial impact that would be in the ''several hundred dollars range'' with the closing of businesses and the evacuation of the area in anticipation of the hurricane Irene. He bravely held on with one hand as he spoke into the microphone steadying himself against the roaring breeze.

Weather people kill me. Here in North Carolina they can say that it might snow and you have 47 weather people out looking for that first snowflake. Reports come in to weather central from spotters all over the area where the ''snow storm'' was predicted looking and reporting the first devastating snow flake that comes cascading down causing snarled traffic, collapsed roofs on buildings and snow bound people at air ports. When some one spots that first ''devastating snow flake'' TV trucks are all over it and they will interrupt ''Everybody loves Raymond'' several times with warnings and pictures.

Personally, I think the weather people are nuts. They make all kind of ''smoke'' over a prediction of rain or snow or the path of a hurricane or storm and then they broadcast crews of people to confirm their prediction no matter how silly it may have been. ''See folks, I was right on that prediction of snow because here is the First Snowflake of that storm, Now , back to Everybody Loves Raymond''..........

I watched the guy up in New York standing in ''toe deep'' water with the breeze whipping his jacket and the three foot seas crashing over the two foot sand barrier, smashing into the board walk causing erosion of the sand around the pilings and giggled.

''Pal, if you want to cover a Hurricane, come to the outer banks of my North Carolina coast and see a real hurricane. Come to the barrier islands and hang on to a lite pole and flap like a flag in some real wind. See cars that the wind has driven rain thru the windshields and look at houses where their aint no houses no more. Check out some of the areas where their aint no ''area no more'' where the ocean has re claimed all the land and water is now flowing from the sound side to the ocean with nothing in the way now. Look at one of our ''Hurricane proof, concrete piling fishing piers'' that is missing the last 100 feet of pier to the wind and the surf.'' See where the surf has taken out a 20 foot high sand berm, erased the paved road and is working on making a new inlet where none was before.
After you do that coverage you can sit on the ''boardwalk'' in Rock Away and have a beer and a soft pretzel and talk about a real storm ….

Of course this is just my humble opinion...... I could be wrong...

Some vet won our freedoms for us. Lets not forget that....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #38

0830 and starting to see some blue sky from my vantage point in my RV. A few final gasps of wind now and then. We've had worse Nor'easters at this location in Stafford, VA.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #39

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Blue sky.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here in Locust Grove, we dodged the bullet on this one. Seems that we were just far enough west, as to be out of the reach of strong winds from Irene. We lost a few small tree limbs but nothing serious at all. The sun is out now and starting to dry things out. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those who were hit so much worse that we were.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We survived. Southern NJ 10 miles from Philadelphia and 3 miles from the Delaware river, and the TV predicted doom and gloom for us. Winds of 90 to 100 mph only got to 50, 10 to 15 inches of rain got to 7, and now the newscasters are running around to areas that always flood. Storm past ,basement dry, trees still up, motorhome safe and the power is still on, but the land line phone is out. We hope everyone is as lucky as us.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
We survived. Southern NJ 10 miles from Philadelphia and 3 miles from the Delaware river, and the TV predicted doom and gloom for us. Winds of 90 to 100 mph only got to 50, 10 to 15 inches of rain got to 7, and now the newscasters are running around to areas that always flood. Storm past ,basement dry, trees still up, motorhome safe and the power is still on, but the land line phone is out. We hope everyone is as lucky as us.
You were all lucky. If that had stayed a cat 3 or 4 it would have been a much different story. Someone was on your side.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane