Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
10am here in virginia; light winds no rain; sun breaking through. Best of luck to my home town (NY) and the folks in new England.. Hang tough

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Irene

Well, you guys down below us have had all the fun now it's our turn in North Eastern Ct. I'm sitting here looking out the window hoping that our cars and M/H have been parked in the correct places to avoid the nastier trees. But, the storm has been down graded to a tropical storm here and it is expected to be at it's worst sometime early this afternoon.

Luckily, so far, this is not such a big deal. About 90% of the homes in the area are without power, but this is a very rural area and it is not unusual. You can ride around and hear the generators singing out to you.
We lost power at 5:40AM and don't know when we will get it back.We have seen much worse weather here, especially in the cold of winter with the wind and snow. (that's when we go south!).

p.s. we are working on generator power now, and the satellite is still alive. Life is tuff.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumar
445 am here in amityville..still have power it is not here yet in full force, but has been torrential rain for hours.
Yondog..is it done by you?
I have not checked my basement yet..what's the use? I know there's water.
Hope motorhome is ok...

Guess we'll all compare notes in a day or so...keep safe.
SUMAR,
We are clear. Sun is bright with very light breeze. Having lunch on our patio. Still listening to the trees but nothing falling from them. Sand bags will be put in the sun to dry until next time. Good luck to our pals up north. Talk soon.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Made it through unscaithed myself but Westchester County NY is a mess. Took a run to the only place in town that opened (bagel shop) and saw 50 of my neighbors. Nobody has power, trees down everywhere and train tracks are flooded or blocked. Still windy as heck but the rain has stopped. I grew up in Florida and yes, the south got it worse but the multitude of large shallow rooted trees here cause a lot of damage. Need to take a ride across town now and check my trailer travel, wish me luck.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #47

During newscast man moons camera

Just incase you havent seen this one. Got a chuckle out of me.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #48

The perfect RV for the east coast,or even going coast to coast?

I was at an RV show a few yearsago and got to see this RV . The owner/engineere were there to splain it all.
1.2 mil at the time. Massive depreciation?
May be a perfect RV to have in the east right now.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #49

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
All clear in Northern Massachusetts. The rain and wind stopped about an hour ago. We lost power for about 6 hours in the stick and brick..but never noticed it because we were in the RV while it sat in the driveway watching TV on the inverter and sipping our morning coffee. I made omelettes on the gas range and our fridge was nice and cold on propane.

Life is good when you have an RV...

Faith and Bob
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Well here we sit in Wells Maine, lots of rain overnight nothing since morning. Before bed last night I pulled in the slides turned the genny on and unplugged from the pedestal. Woke up at 8:15 all aok. Still some wind gusts. Took Zeus down to the beach, stiff breeze, sand blowing some, he loved it Peggy thought I was nuts. The town seems to have fared pretty well. Our prayers are for those who didn't fare as well. Take care
Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
Well here we sit in Wells Maine, lots of rain overnight nothing since morning. Before bed last night I pulled in the slides turned the genny on and unplugged from the pedestal. Woke up at 8:15 all aok. Still some wind gusts. Took Zeus down to the beach, stiff breeze, sand blowing some, he loved it Peggy thought I was nuts. The town seems to have fared pretty well. Our prayers are for those who didn't fare as well. Take care
Glad you made it through alright. If it continued a cat 3 or 4 it would have been a different story. Someone was with all of you...
Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #52

In 2004 hurricane Charlie was going up the west coast of Florida 90 miles off shore. We were to get 80 -90 mile an hour winds. I've been through that many times before an didn't worry about it. At 2:45 pm my wife came outside and said "you need to see this". Charlie crossed over Captiva island and was heading up Charlotte harbor. We lived at the end of the harbor in a just built stick home. We had 20 minutes to prepare and I did the best I could. When it hit mobile homes, cars, cattle and everything else were blowing by it looked like the wizard of Oz. A 70' mobile home with a gal and her 2 kids in it blew my front porch off and the house collapsed killing my wife of 23 years. It was the worst hour of my life and I'm a Nam vet. Never again will I take a hurricane over cat 2 for granted. I will get out of Dodge long before it hits. It took 6 months to recover power and water from that storm and sleeping in a lean to was not fun in 100 degree heat with all the bugs and no food or water. You all were lucky it downgraded to a tropical storm or else it would be a very different story. That's why we have insurance to cover our losses so get out of Dodge when you can and save what you can because as I know you can't bring back a life....
Old 08-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
In 2004 hurricane Charlie was going up the west coast of Florida 90 miles off shore. We were to get 80 -90 mile an hour winds. I've been through that many times before an didn't worry about it. At 2:45 pm my wife came outside and said "you need to see this". Charlie crossed over Captiva island and was heading up Charlotte harbor. We lived at the end of the harbor in a just built stick home. We had 20 minutes to prepare and I did the best I could. When it hit mobile homes, cars, cattle and everything else were blowing by it looked like the wizard of Oz. A 70' mobile home with a gal and her 2 kids in it blew my front porch off and the house collapsed killing my wife of 23 years. It was the worst hour of my life and I'm a Nam vet. Never again will I take a hurricane over cat 2 for granted. I will get out of Dodge long before it hits. It took 6 months to recover power and water from that storm and sleeping in a lean to was not fun in 100 degree heat with all the bugs and no food or water. You all were lucky it downgraded to a tropical storm or else it would be a very different story. That's why we have insurance to cover our losses so get out of Dodge when you can and save what you can because as I know you can't bring back a life....
Quite a story sorry for your loss, I agree mother nature should not go unheeded.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #54

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Here in Eastern NC we still got no power. I not even seen a Pregressive Energy truck yet. I have found out that running generators all day can be expensive. The last I saw was that Pamlico Co. (where we live) that 99.7 % were without electricity. Wonder who the .3% are?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #55

Billieg..sorry all that happened to you. What a tragedy.
As proven you can't fool with mother nature.

Sorry for all those still without power. Hope you get it back soon.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122
Quite a story sorry for your loss, I agree mother nature should not go unheeded.
Im sorry for your loss..

Tags
hurricane