Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hurricane Irene

Rain began 15 minutes ago (12:40PM), wind is moderate, ran was very heavy and sideways! 1 each - thunder & lightning so far!

The wind is coming in from the couter clockwise rotation of the hurricane from the north and west.

Satellite TV signal lost! ... It's back temporarily ... I expect until the bands get thicker again.

Conway, SC sends ....
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
take pictures!!
Oh and stay safe
Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Hoping it doesn't hit you too hard. They can be nasty.. as you well know.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Please stay safe.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Current conditions:

The temperature was 73.4°. Winds were North @ 17 mph. Maximum wind gust today were ENE at 34 mph.

You can see the outer bands scrubbing the Grand Strand. Most of the communities on the shore are being impacted by the storm from a Hurricane warning in Little River to Tropical Storm warning further south to the Georgetown County border. On the local News we were seeing people gathering shells on the beach as of 6:00pm.

Conditions are expected to worsen overnight up until 1:00pm at which point Irene will have passed up on onto Cape Hatteras.

About the National Rally site; The current track keeps the maximum winds to the East of the Bethpage Campground. The camp is closed at the moment. What I am concerned about is the tidal effect on the Rappahannock River on which the camp is located. The campground property itself is quite elevated from sea level but I expect that some areas will be impacted.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hoping it doesn,t hit you too hard. Thinking of you folks here in Alberta, can,t quite imagine what that would be like.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #7

Standing by in Norfolk...we are fortunate that the eye will pass just after low tide, shifting to flood. Even though on the "less dangerous side" our geography on the Cheas Bay plays against us.

Made all our preps and have op-tested the generator. We'll move to the RV if we have to...or the bourbon supply runs out.
salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #8

Hope you all stay safe...Keep the reports coming. I am on LI and it should be here tomorrow aft.
Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Texas thoughts and prayers for everyone up and down the East Coast area....stay safe and keep us posted as you can when Irene comes through your area!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Watching and waiting here, can't believe the extremes the city is going to. Seems a bit much for this Florida born and raised gal but better safe than sorry I guess.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Check this out "purple rain!"

Check out the below Weather Bug Doppler map. I have been living here for 5 years and I have never seen such an expansive "Purple" rain area which is coming at us from up in North Carolina. Irene is going to soak us pretty good. The hurricane is rotating counter clock wise and we're not finished just yet.

If you look at the "rain scale", (bars) purple is the last color all the way over to the right of the scales and it can't rain any harder than purple.

Our pool is about 2 to 3 inches from over flowing .... I guess that I'm not going to have to fill our bathtub!

Diandtom are in New Bern, NC just north-east of here and they are definitely in the purple.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer
Check out the below Weather Bug Doppler map. I have been living here for 5 years and I have never seen such an expansive "Purple" rain area which is coming at us from up in North Carolina. Irene is going to soak us pretty good. The hurricane is rotating counter clock wise and we're not finished just yet.

If you look at the "rain scale", (bars) purple is the last color all the way over to the right of the scales and it can't rain any harder than purple.

Our pool is about 2 to 3 inches from over flowing .... I guess that I'm not going to have to fill our bathtub!

Diandtom are in New Bern, NC just north-east of here and they are definitely in the purple.
We are in Virginia. Sandbags already in place. As a reserve police officer, we have been placed on call.
Alexandria expecting flooding. Waiting for the rain to start. NWS predicting light to medium rain fall during tomorrow daytime but increasing rapidly evening hours. Predicting our area to be hit hard from midnight to 6 AM. Forecast for most of Sunday is partly cloudy no rain. I guess we will see how accurate the predictions are.
Yondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Final report from .. "Conway, SC"

The wind this morning is 13 mph out of the north west. This indicates that hurricane has passed. Maximum observed gusts here are 34 mph at the Horry County Airport.

Believe it or not but the sun was trying to peek out from behind the overcast although there remain low level clouds rapidly moving across the sky. Colleen just called me outside to show me that there's blue sky out there and the cloud cover is turning from overcast to broken to scattered.

Our forecast calls for improving conditions this afternoon with plenty of sunshine. Temperature is 77°.

The yard is littered with pine tree debris and old oak branches. I had to drain the pool down but not as much as I thought that I would have to. The cover blew off of our BBQ grill. 3 out of 4 Prompt wheel covers were dangling on the side of the motorhome still attached on one side.

Irene has made land fall at Cape Lookout in North Carolina and is now progressing over the outer banks up to Rodanthe, Nags Head and points north.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Irene4.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	13319  
Old 08-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #14

Gusting to 54 mph at Nags Head and 40 here in Ocean View (Norfolk). Looks like the track has shifted a touch to the west so we'll have stronger winds but should have less water piling up on the north shore of the Cheas Bay. Glad I performed genertor maintenance yesterday on the coach!
salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane