Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ramblin: I pretty much agree with ALL of your posts.

However, all of the rare earth and other metals are being recycled. In fact, Honda does all their own (contracted out). Your arguement is still on the money but with less steam than years ago.

DW has a Caddy with the Northstar V8 and I have a Ford Mustang GT V8, we don't hug no trees. However, my next car (soon) will be a 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.

The world is full of "pretenders", driving a RV and saying "I am eco-friendly" goes beyond the pale.

Kerry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Just remind the hybrid owners that alot of states are considering mandating a new tax per mile system for their high efficiency vehicles because they're causing gas tax revenues to fall off .

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Ahhh... if we could only do that here on the forum.

Rick
Politeness and civility abound where you are within physical reach of your adversaries. Forums, not so much.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Ramblin , I already like you , can I be a friend
Old 06-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #19

At least you were not talking union verses non union. Gets ugly.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #20

The really funny part about this discussion is...... VW has diesels that get the same mileage and no adverse impact on the environment. Meaning the harm done to the environment caused by mining, processing, making, and disposing of the hazardous materials in the batteries. Not to mention the fire hazard in case of an accident.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I get amused when "smug" Prius types think the world cares about their eco friendliness.
In reality no fleet manager takes them serious. For commericial delivery types... the Japanese 4 cylinder is still the king. (Toyota or Honda). Even on the domestic front... nothing compares. Im talking vehicles that go 6 digits in a given calender year on fuel, oil changes, and tires. Ethanol has actually increased fuel costs for those that drive.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That kind of sounds like my position on the E-xx fuels.. So we burn a little less oil in our cars.. But what about the farmer's tractor and harvestor and the trucks that hauled the grain to the brewery and the energy used in brewing and so on.. Yup, a negative savings.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Ramblin: I pretty much agree with ALL of your posts.

However, all of the rare earth and other metals are being recycled. In fact, Honda does all their own (contracted out). Your arguement is still on the money but with less steam than years ago.

DW has a Caddy with the Northstar V8 and I have a Ford Mustang GT V8, we don't hug no trees. However, my next car (soon) will be a 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.

The world is full of "pretenders", driving a RV and saying "I am eco-friendly" goes beyond the pale.

Kerry
Just to double check myself, since I made this entire argument up out of thin air, and after multiple Newcastle Brown Ale's, I did a little math this morning.

Based on the numbers on the toyota website, MSRP's, MPG claims, etc, I came to the following conclusion:

Camry Hybrid base model VS Camry base model, assume 24000 miles per year usage (which would be low for me, but easy math), and $3.25 per gallon for fuel, which may rise or fall over the timeframe.

Add the City/Hwy MPG of each together and divide by 2 to arrive at an avg MPG for 50/50 mixed driving.

Hybrid = 41MPG avg, $25,990 msrp
Standard = 30MPG avg, $22,055 msrp

To drive the standard model 24000 miles, it will take 800 gallons of fuel, at $3.25 is $2600/yr.

To drive the hybrid those 24000 miles, it will take 585 gallons of fuel, at $3.25 is about $1900/yr

The fuel cost difference is $700, the difference in msrp is $3935 for a payback of 5.62 years before you see any savings from increased fuel economy.

Over those 5.62 years, you will have driven about 135,000 miles.

The battery waranty is 100,000 miles, but you have to get 135,000 miles out of it for payback. Possible... probable, even.

Most people I know don't drive a car more than 5 years. They take out a 60 month note on one, and trade it in for the "new car smell" (and another 60 month note) as soon as they pay it off. (I never understood this behavior) But in order to achieve ANY savings, they would have to drive this one almost 6 years, AND get 33% more life out of the original battery than it is warranted for.

Knowing the folks in the original post as I do, I will virtually guarantee they will be shopping for another new car in 5 years, and will never recoup their hybrid investment.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #24

Jayco Owners Club
Great thread. I had to go do a couple lines of Ginkgo Biloba just to keep up.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ramblin: I was not implying you are a "pretender". You are a straight shooter.

And Newcastle Brown Ale does make one's thinking more clear. Seasonal Blue Moon is real clarity, you may want to give them a try.

Kerry
Old 06-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Most people I know don't drive a car more than 5 years. They take out a 60 month note on one, and trade it in for the "new car smell" (and another 60 month note) as soon as they pay it off. (I never understood this behavior) But in order to achieve ANY savings, they would have to drive this one almost 6 years, AND get 33% more life out of the original battery than it is warranted for.
I have this 18 YO truck that has ~140k on it. The door seals are so good, I still have to crack a window if I want the doors to close on the first try. Over 18 years and zero door dings. Why would I need a new truck or payments?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
dunner... does that have a 360 engine? If so...that ads a whole dimension of irony to this thread...lol.

360 magnum engine is the #1 powerplant on the EPA "hit list"...lol. Cash for clunkers and what not.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I have this 18 YO truck that has ~140k on it. The door seals are so good, I still have to crack a window if I want the doors to close on the first try. Over 18 years and zero door dings. Why would I need a new truck or payments?

My way of thinking exactly. I buy a vehicle, and drive the wheels off it.