Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Just to bring the thread back on point. Ramblin' you did a great analysis on the whole Hybrid vs. Gas Burner. The only thing your forgot was the $7,500 Tax Credit for Plug-In Hybrids and Electrics that the rest of us are footing the bill for. Of course I'm not exactly sure how one would calculate that in, which is exactly what the pols in DC are counting on.

The only reason I thought of that was because my brain was being fueled by a little Sam Adams Summer Ale as opposed to the New Castle Brown.
Well for the OWNER of one of those EVs it is a cost savings if the range issue fits into their driving habits. Not because it's cheaper to operate, but because they have spread out the operating costs and technology premiums to the taxpayers ($7500 credit, free charging stations, etc). But the environmental impact is still relevant. As Rusty pointed out, all they really did was move the Volts exhaust pipe onto the top of a power plant somewhere. Volts are really just coal powered cars with remote exhaust pipes, in essence.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only way that we are ever going to know which vehicle has the least environmental impact is for the government to spend a lot of our money to do the research that will be mandated on every window sticker that states the TOTAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT. They should make a gauge with a number between 1 and 10 1 being the lowest impact on the environment, and 10 being the highest.

Then, and only then, can we really know and make and intelligent decision on which vehicle or product is best for the environment. After all, how can we possibly make an intelligent decision unless we have guidance from our Federal government? Until they do this, we will all have to stumble along in life, making random decisions concerning what is best for our particular situations.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #45

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
After all, how can we possibly make an intelligent decision unless we have guidance from our Federal government?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Ah yes, the smell of burning dead cow. Love it!
If it smells like it's burning, you're doin' it wrong.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
The only way that we are ever going to know which vehicle has the least environmental impact is for the government to spend a lot of our money to do the research that will be mandated on every window sticker that states the TOTAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT. They should make a gauge with a number between 1 and 10 1 being the lowest impact on the environment, and 10 being the highest.

Then, and only then, can we really know and make and intelligent decision on which vehicle or product is best for the environment. After all, how can we possibly make an intelligent decision unless we have guidance from our Federal government? Until they do this, we will all have to stumble along in life, making random decisions concerning what is best for our particular situations.
I really hope this is sarcasm, because.... nah, I'll just leave it at that.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #48

But see the study would get to expensive as you have to include; fossil fuel cars, corn cars, coal Prius and nuclear Prius.....
And the expected impact of the residuals of a nuclear Prius.....
LOL
Would they all have to go to Yucca mountain if they were in a accident...
.... sorry my day has gone terribly off course and a distraction was required.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't forget about the thousands of jobs that would be created by new government workers. New accounting and environmental jobs, and the enforcement bureau for the correct disclosure of the 1-10 rating system. We all know there will be Dealers trying to sell cars to people telling them that a 10 is better than a 1.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I'm holding out for the Mr. Fusion powered Prius (with the time trave option, of course)

Or maybe this home nuclear reactor:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/c...be/kubex15.asp
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #51

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Kinda hard to put a live cow on the barbie. They don't fit and put up one hell of a fight when you try.
But look at the fun you would have trying!
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #52

We bought a Nissan LEAF. We really love it. It's a great commuter car. I drive about 30 miles to work every day and our electric bill has gone up $20/month. We only take the Envoy when we go camping. It's about the only time it gets a work out. I don't push it on anyone and I don't care that everyone isn't driving one. I'm happy to get to and I feel superior to all the hybrids. Take that Prius!
SiberCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #53

That takes a whole lot of coal to charge it.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #54

I was at a seminar of farmers, hog producers, and small business operators when they introduced this speaker http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick...vironmentalist) as a former Greenpeace founder. I really expected the guy would be lucky to get out of the building without considerable bloodshed, I was very surprised. Tree huggers need to read his book "Confessions of a GreenPeace Dropout", they might change their attitudes. Think about it, if the environmentalists are against coal plants, nuke plants, hydro power, wind power, & solar power, then what is the alternative? No power it would seem. That Prius better have a big enough trunk to carry all the firewood they'll need to get through the winter.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
sometimes its really just an economic decision. i was driving a jeep grand wagoneer to work every day. 55 miles round trip. 4 gallons. at 90 cents per gallon it was not killing me. but gas went up. way up. i was offered a slightly damaged honda insight for 6500 bux. 600 bux (for parts) later it was fixed up and on the road. 3/4 of a gallon per day. no contest.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #56

You get 73 mpg?