Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #85

Quote:
I'm ready to pony up and be taxed at 40%.
Not me, I am ready to have the 49% of people who pay zero federal income tax to pony up first and stop the whining about not getting enough free stuff. Tax rates have not changed except in a very minor way and during much of that time our economy was booming. Spending has increased from 19% of GDP to 25% of GDP in the last 4 years.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #86

This article on the new Tesla S model seemed relevant to the thread:

First Drive: Tesla's Model S electric is spectacular

The future may no be quite here yet, but there's promise it will prove a bunch of skeptics wrong (especially about electrics).

Old 06-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #87

They went broke after receiving over $450 MILLION of government money and are on their second half billion now. I hope they succeed and pay us back.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
They went broke after receiving over $450 MILLION of government money and are on their second half billion now. I hope they succeed and pay us back.
My eyes tend to glaze over when trying to read financial stuff but the description of Tesla's History and Financing in Wikipedia (Google "Tesla Motors") paints a very different picture.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #89

Wikipedia is an open source site. Anybody can go in and edit articles. If you want correct information, it is not the place to go. It has a very liberal slant as they change anything not agreeing with their beliefs. One climatologist who did not believe in the theory of global warming went in and deleted that he was a child molester 26 times in one day and they kept putting it back.

See link below about their 2nd half billion (actually $465 million). There first car which was a sports car selling for $110,000 costing half a billion to develop never went into production and that money is gone. This is the same taxpayer money that went into Solendra and other failed projects. I hope they succeed myself, but would much rather see the taxpayers dime spent on research. Another electric car (Fisker Karma) with half a billion loan has already failed as well as several battery plants and photovoltaic solar plants.

Tesla gets loan approval from US Department of Energy | Press Releases | Tesla Motors
Old 06-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #90

I don't have the hang of putting a quote in the post, so any help on that would be appreciated. The quote I wanted to post was about ponying up and paying 40% to get us out of debt. I'm not willing to pony up any more as long as they keep throwing it away and wasting so much. Giving them more will only give them more to waste. Until they acknowledge their shenanigans and put a stop to them, I say no more!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #91

So does the the SEC filing on 01/29/10
"have incurred net losses of approximately $236.4 million from our inception through September 30, 2009"

"We have a history of losses and we expect significant increases in our costs and expenses to result in continuing losses for at least the foreseeable future."

It would be nice for them to work but at the price they are, my opinion is that they are for the 1% ers.

" Our future growth is dependent upon consumers’ willingness to adopt electric vehicles."

Bloomburg 06/21/12
"Tesla is counting on the car to generate the company’s first profit. It can be “cash-flow positive” in 2013."

I am going to guess they still have not made a profit. Even selling their ZEV credits.

:(
Old 06-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #92

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post
I don't have the hang of putting a quote in the post, so any help on that would be appreciated.
When you want to quote a message, just hit the 'QUOTE' button below the message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post
The quote I wanted to post was about ponying up and paying 40% to get us out of debt. I'm not willing to pony up any more as long as they keep throwing it away and wasting so much. Giving them more will only give them more to waste. Until they acknowledge their shenanigans and put a stop to them, I say no more!!!
+1

Republicans want to take my money and use it for stuff I don't agree with, democrats want to take my money and give it to people who don't deserve it. Libertarians want me to keep my money. For me, the choice is clear.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #93

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Tax me at 40%, but don't take another dime. The money I make on the remaining money is mine, should stay mine and doesn't get taxed again...
A Tax Break? Count me in.
Fed. Income tax = 26 to 36%
Social Security and medicare = 15% (self employed, pay both halves...)
Illinios income tax = 7%
Sales tax - 7.5%
Property tax (on 3 properties which are currently worth 1/3 what they were worth 4 years ago, though it seems they cannot be sold at any price) $24,000 (let's call that 12%?)

So that adds up to 67.5% on the first dollar I make, and 77.5% on the last.

No wonder I'm freeking broke. Gimme a 40% flat tax, I'll go buy a new hybrid motorhome with the savings!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #94

Quote:
Social Security and medicare = 15% (self employed, pay both halves...)
Employees actually pay both halves too. It is just that the employer pays it for them instead of paying them directly. They would rather just pay them directly and cut down on all of the paperwork. The same is true for Medicare/Medicad, unemployment, ETC. It is all a cost of doing business and taken into account when deciding to hire somebody. The fact that the employee doesn't actually see the money doesn't mean they are not paying it. Sad, but true.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #95
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ahem, we're here. Circle back to discussing hybrids folks.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
While on the road in SD last week we were listening to a radio show in which the guest was claiming that Solar and Wind power was putting the cost of our electricity up as it was not cost effective. The cost per kilowatt of solar or wind is much higher than either coal or hydro power; so claiming you are benefiting anyone with your electric car is not such a solid argument.

Hybrids will fall from grace too once the true cost of battery replacement is cost accounted.

Bring on the nuclear powered automobile and we'll be way ahead of the game.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #97

Ford Super Duty Owner
[moderator edit]

Note, I just bought a (used) Hybrid that someone already depreciated. It's the right price point for me (already depreciated) and makes some financial since as I commute 2 hours a day. I've also owned Corvettes under similar circumstances (already depreciated 50%) so I don't hug the trees very hard... That Corvette got the same mileage as my 98 4-cylinder RAV4 that has about 25% of the horsepower... Largely do to increases in technology and perhaps due to government legislation (it avoids the gas guzzler tax).
Old 06-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #98

Monaco Owners Club
Back to the hybrids, i do kinda like the theory. We were gonna buy an escape hybrid, but couldn't quite get it together, wife bought a liberty that gets less than half the mileage...

Modern hybrids work pretty well. The electric augments the gass motor for accelertion, letting them use a smaller gas engine if they choose to. And the active brake system and such does recapture a lot of energy. And the simple act of shutting the gas engine down at red lights saves a tremendous amount of fuel very simply.

I'd like to test drive a hybrid tahoe...

And the next breakthrough in motorhome power could very easily be a hybrid allison, with a built in electric motor and some real smart computers.