Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
I wouldn't expect US based companies are powerful enough to control world oil supplies. Corporations move offshore for tax breaks so the top exec's can be paid ridiculous amounts of money without having to pay US income taxes. Since most corporations compete in a world market this is considered OK. Only problem is it contributes to our rising national debt.
I'd suggest reviewing the United States' corporate income tax rate with that of the other developed nations as well as what we do with repatriated earnings if you want to see why corporations are moving offshore.

At this point, our company (headquartered in Houston, TX) is still a Delaware corporation, but our former parent corporation (who spun their oil and gas business [i.e., us] off in the 1990s to the stockholders as a separate company) first moved to Bermuda and is now an Irish corporation. More and more of our business comes from our international operations, so it's probably a matter of time for our company as well.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #30

Freightliner Owners Club
Before this thread is shut down, I invite you to check out the following USGS link and consider the resources the US has control over and ask why we are not making use of them.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Hydrogen, eh?
(get out the flamethrowers, everytime I bring this up I get flamed for being nuts)

What about locally produced hydrogen? Browns gas, produced from water by electrolisis, on board on demand. No storage problem, it all goes straight into the engines intake tract as it is produced.

A friend has a system on his powerstroke, and swears by it. He claims 25mpg at cruise, in an f250 pulling a 28 foot fifth wheel. He tells me that with 60 amps input, the system produces enough hydrogen to replace half the diesel it would have burned at cruise.

I haven't done a cost benefit analysis, but now that I finally own a diesel, I'm gonna.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fleetman,
That article is dated over 3 years ago. What are they doing, waiting for a rainy day?
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Hydrogen, eh?
(get out the flamethrowers, everytime I bring this up I get flamed for being nuts)

What about locally produced hydrogen? Browns gas, produced from water by electrolisis, on board on demand. No storage problem, it all goes straight into the engines intake tract as it is produced.

A friend has a system on his powerstroke, and swears by it. He claims 25mpg at cruise, in an f250 pulling a 28 foot fifth wheel. He tells me that with 60 amps input, the system produces enough hydrogen to replace half the diesel it would have burned at cruise.

I haven't done a cost benefit analysis, but now that I finally own a diesel, I'm gonna.

As for the reason that you cannot merely extract hydrogen to continuously 1/2 power your vehicle, it is due to simple conservation of energy. Simply put, the energy you use to convert the water into hydrogen would be at most equal to the energy that hydrogen could provide. Of course due to losses, from things like resistance in your apparatus, you would actually end up using up more energy to get the hydrogen than you would gain from using it as a fuel source. This is not just my opinion.

60 amps by 12 volts will produce 720 watts and at most will only produce 2500 BTU's. It will take 53 HOURS to equal the BTU potential in one gallon of diesel.

Before diesels were messed up with all the hop up modifications, you could by itself get 25 MPG. A nice light foot and the right fuel economy attitude accounts for good MPG.

Good luck with it.

My example in an earlier post, if you look at it, has already been designed and BUILT. It works! The source of hydrogen is the SUN through production of electricity using the SUN. Ovshinsky is a GENIUS. It's not going to happen because, like here, nobody cares enough to get excited about it. It works on EXISTING CARS.! People have to fix how their minds work. People have to remember what they were like when they were younger. When dreams and ideas were reality waiting to happen.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #34

I believe one of the problems with people accepting new technology is their mind has been pre-programmed by the people that do nothing except say it won't work. A free thinker will discover the facts, (not political rhetoric) and then make a decision as to whether anything is possible or not.
There is so much propaganda spewed by the people that do not want to use what is available and are looking for pie in the sky. Just because I or any other person doesn't believe something has nothing to do with reality.

rops
rops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #35

Texas Boomers Club
I believe many people (myself included) have an open mind - at least until the claims violate the laws of physics and/or thermodynamics.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote