Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do care about privacy. If you want to check driver's then have a checkpoint, just don't record where I am going or where I have been. If you want to check my registration or driver's license then have a dui checkpoint.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #16

New Horizons Owners Club
Some of the government privacy invasion goes too far, this is not one of them. For me personally I laugh at the notion of big brother watching me; they will be bored witless in under 10 minutes, and if not, they may already be witless!

Old 05-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #17

Quote:
When I asked him, "do you stop cars even if they do nothing wrong"?
He said, "If you follow anyone long enough, everyone does something wrong".
In over two decades, I only followed ONE driver that was able to drive all the way through town without making any errors that could have resulted in a traffic stop! Most drivers will violate a traffic law within 1/4 mile. Almost all will within 1/2 mile. This is for "normal" city driving. Most drivers just do not pay attention to what's going on around them.

One of my favorite things to do was get behind someone with a radar detector mounted on their dash (where I could see the warning lights). I would follow them and as their speed crept up above the speed limit, I'd turn on my radar and watch them slam on the brakes and look around. I'd turn off the radar and wait till their speed crept up again and then turn the radar back on. Same result, driver slammed on brakes, looked around, and then slowly increased speed. I was able to do this to idiots for miles! Worst idiot went almost ten miles before he spotted me (I was the car directly behind him). I would do this in a marked cruiser with a large light bar (not the tiny LED ones we have now days).

Just ask me about idiot drivers . . . After working traffic for a few decades I've got a few stories . . .
V-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
One of my favorite things to do was get behind someone with a radar detector mounted on their dash (where I could see the warning lights). I would follow them and as their speed crept up above the speed limit, I'd turn on my radar and watch them slam on the brakes and look around. I'd turn off the radar and wait till their speed crept up again and then turn the radar back on. Same result, driver slammed on brakes, looked around, and then slowly increased speed. I was able to do this to idiots for miles! Worst idiot went almost ten miles before he spotted me
V-Man
Thanks for the post, (and the story).
I suspected that some LEO's had a sense of humor.
Mel
Old 05-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #19

Last weekend I was on the way home from the hunting lease with guns in the minivan. Coming past the airport I was 'keeping up with traffic' when suddenly there were a big herd (or 'pride'...) of Highway Patrol troopers in a checkpoint. They flagged me over, along with the car behind me! Ruh Roh!!
So having gone past their checkpoint entry before stopping I backed up (when safe to do so). I pulled in, tail between my legs) and a trooper directed me where to park. I got my license and insurance card out and waited. And waited...... waited.....
Some ten minutes passed with troopers walking past me. They sent a couple 'fish' on their way, then one trooper finally asks me if I'd talked to anyone yet?
I told him I hadn't but thought I'd been flagged down. I used the requisite number of ' Sirs' as we talked. He finally says "Well, I'll just say be careful and have a good day!"
I thanked him and drove on home. I was speeding, 55 in a 45 zone, but got off very lucky!! ;-)
Maybe they figured a middle aged guy in a minivan was okay.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Well guys and gals, first off DUI check points are against the constitution. Its called innocent until proven guilty/ A check point to see if someone has been drinking is the same as entering someone's home without a warrant, because they think something illegal is going on.
As far as the police officer that has the time to follow someone 10 miles while playing with them, obviously doesn't have enough to do, or there are too many and need to be let go. And don't give me that " oh it is about safety" It all has to do with money and nothing else.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
DUI Checkpoints constitutionality? Well, it depends on which state you are in. Are DUI Checkpoints Unconstitutional?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let's please not drift into a general political discussion, which is not allowed on iRV2. Thanks!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Just ask me about idiot drivers . . . After working traffic for a few decades I've got a few stories . . .
Been there done that (former LEO) in a small town!!!

And agree 1000%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Well guys and gals, first off DUI check points are against the constitution. Its called innocent until proven guilty/ A check point to see if someone has been drinking is the same as entering someone's home without a warrant, because they think something illegal is going on.
As far as the police officer that has the time to follow someone 10 miles while playing with them, obviously doesn't have enough to do, or there are too many and need to be let go. And don't give me that " oh it is about safety" It all has to do with money and nothing else.
Frank
As others have pointed out depends on the state, and The state's Laws.

I can tell you it doesn't take 10 miles to see a problem if someone is driving after having too much to drink.

Drunk Drivers Kill people plain and simple. check points are about getting them off the roads before they do KILL.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
In over two decades, I only followed ONE driver that was able to drive all the way through town without making any errors that could have resulted in a traffic stop! Most drivers will violate a traffic law within 1/4 mile. Almost all will within 1/2 mile. This is for "normal" city driving. Most drivers just do not pay attention to what's going on around them.

One of my favorite things to do was get behind someone with a radar detector mounted on their dash (where I could see the warning lights). I would follow them and as their speed crept up above the speed limit, I'd turn on my radar and watch them slam on the brakes and look around. I'd turn off the radar and wait till their speed crept up again and then turn the radar back on. Same result, driver slammed on brakes, looked around, and then slowly increased speed. I was able to do this to idiots for miles! Worst idiot went almost ten miles before he spotted me (I was the car directly behind him). I would do this in a marked cruiser with a large light bar (not the tiny LED ones we have now days).

Just curious who the idiot was in this story. What part of "to serve & protect" was playing with the fellow drivers on the road in front of you.
I don't really want to start a discussion on this matter, just needed to add my $.02. By the way I respect most police officers, their job & their willingness to serve our communities. I have several friends & family who are retired officers.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

I don't care who you are, that is funny!!!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
I mean no offense to Mark, but my opinion is that we need more "big brothers" watching. A majority of crime in this area is drug related, and heroin has been declared to be an epidemic. I watch my neighbors houses, and they watch mine. I am glad for all of the cameras on light posts, and in stores, providing information for the LEOs to get the bad guys. Again, in my opinion, if you don't want to get arrested don't break the laws. Pay your registrations, pay you traffic and parking fines, and child support and taxes. If you do this and don't speed, you can drive relaxed that those flashing red/blue lights are not after you. (I'm climbing down from my soap box now. )
No offense taken Bobb.25. I'm not paranoid and don't break the law but where does it end? I can't imagine there are many of us that have not gone 56 in a 55 zone. That is an exaggeration but technically a violation. I'm also all for putting the dirtbags in jail so it is a catch 22.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Cops do have a sense of humor. One of my friends, former spec ops, now detective, has to work traffic one day each year (Dept. rules). He casually calls me up to see when I'm going to my office as if he wants to meet me there. Then as I turn the corner, he's sitting there with his radar gun. Fortunately I'm driving 5 mph below the speed limit. He says I drive like his grandmother. Let a bunch of cops and firemen get around each other and that's funny.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #28

The alternate to watching and stopping is to not, which is tacit approval of operating a car without a license, registration, insurance, to move contraband, etc. Face it, if there's no risk in operating a vehicle illegally, do you honestly think there will be less of it?

If you're so concerned about your privacy, don't place yourself where you can be easily seen.

I've had a few tickets in my life and all but one were justified.

Keep watching guys. You just may save the life of someone I love.

rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote