Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
There is an on-line user-maintained database of spam callers HERE. If a phone number shows up on caller id, you can enter it there and see what others have posted about it.

When we returned from camping last week, there were 27 calls on our caller ID. I looked them all up, and 15 of them were scams or spams; free cruise scams, reduce your debt scams, political surveys, etc.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
I should probably share this with you guys. It works so unobtrusively in the background I forgot all about it. Ramblin's mention of a database reminded me.

I began using the Mr. Number - Control who can call you and when with status, blocking, and caller ID for mobile phones. app on our Androids some months ago and we are very rarely bothered by pollsters or telemarketers. Mr Number does maintain a database of numbers as reported by it's users and when a number reaches a certain level of reports it is identified as 100% spam and automatically blocked on your phone. Works great!

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #45

I've done business with Canyon State Air, but I don't think they even want to be related to these fly-by-night companies that call me.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #46

Heartland RV Club
About a year ago I kept getting calls from a charity fund raiser in Naples Fl.
I asked to be taken off their list many times ...they said they were exempt from the no call list . I Googled their number and found some office numbers and posted them on a Gay sex chat forum. I bet their phones rang off the hook from all the fellas wanting some of their "services"

P.S I had to Google the sex forum also.
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=Jack1234;1210884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan
Turn about is fair play.

We live in Playa del Carmen, Mexico during the winter. There are many chances to view and learn about vacation ownership. Quite a few of us locals do it on cloudy days. The going rate is: admission to the resort for three buffet meals, $200, two bottles of booze, two tee shirts, two blankets and a taxi home. Ask for that, stick to your guns and they will deliver.

Help me out here......they offer you three buffet meals, $200, two bottles of booze, two tee shirts & a taxi if you will attend their "sales"presentation. They have not misrepresented anything ......they are offering you "stuff" to attend a sales presentation....and they deliver on their promise(s). They are in fact attempting to sell you a legitimate product......"shared time in a resort".... You can see & touch the Resort before you purchase it & you are aware that timeshare, as a product is legitimately enjoyed by millions of people worldwide....in addition you are aware that reputable US Companies such as Hilton, Marriott, Westin, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Disney, etc all use this same sales presentation approach.....

.In other words, you weren't born yesterday.....you knew full well what you were doing and you set out to defraud a legitimate business that made you a legitimate monetary offer in exchange for your time. Looks to me like you took several hundred(s) of their dollars under false pretense? You knew full well that your residence status disqualified you from the presentation?

Tell me....who's the scam artist? How is this fair play? How have you been scammed? How does your messing with the local Resorts help the thousands of local people who work at these Resorts, the people who supply these Resorts with goods & services...are you going to pay higher property taxes to the town if these Resorts fail?

Sorry....I don't get the joke.
You must be a Timeshare sales rep...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #48

Heartland RV Club
[QUOTE=Romeo;1212977]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post

You must be a Timeshare sales rep...

You think?
Old 06-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #49

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I used to get calls from the same air conditioning company with a different name. You read it right. I recognize the number, but they changed their name every month.
That outfit got shut down by the State of AZ. It's being replaced by another one, though.

There is one in Chandler called Solar Bear that's about to get a visit from me.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I get so many that I don't even bother to open them, let alone read them. If I don't recognize the sender it's deleted.

Me too....new friends let me know if they are sending something to me...
Old 06-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #51

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
The caveat with the Do Not Call List is that once you have done business with one of these companies, they have the right to call you for (I think) up to one year after the completion of your business transaction. For some reason there is a loophole in the law that allows not only the company you did business with to call you, but all of their sister companies to call you too.
They can call but have to stop if you tell them to.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
That outfit got shut down by the State of AZ. It's being replaced by another one, though.

There is one in Chandler called Solar Bear that's about to get a visit from me.
Good... I was getting tired of their calls.

Got a call from the Bear just this week. They got the fax tone. Ya think it's the same outfit?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #53

Hey Tallyrver & Romeo...

Prior to taking the last couple of years to full-time in our RV, we lived in Cabo San Lucas for 12yrs. I retired to Mexico from the small business I owned ....which by the way employed dozens of salesmen! I started in "sales" .....so for me being a salesman is not a dirty word or in some way a dishonorable way to make a living.....& you are quite correct....I do take offense with people who think it is funny to mess around with sales people for "sport".

Having lived in Cabo, my wife & I, know many people in the Resort world (salesmen, administrators, owners, etc) & many, many more who depend on the Resort/Tourist trade for their livelihood. My wife also taught Yoga at one of the major Resorts for many years where we had the privilege to meet & get to know everyone from the valets & chambermaids to the GM. I also play golf in a league with many timeshare salesmen. Many, many of these guys & gals have advanced university degrees (MBA's, MSC's, Nursing Degrees, LLB's etc) & have worked in the sales divisions for Fortune 500 companies. They have paid their dues (& taxes) so they could earn six (in some cases seven) figure commissions in the Resort World.

We also own timeshare & know many friends & others who also own the product. It has taken use all over the world and enabled us to stay in many fantastic Resorts. Last time I looked Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Hayatt, Hilton,Westin, Marriott, and other major US Hotel/Resort groups all had a timeshare division...... AND provided employment for hundreds of thousands of people. These are NOT scams or disreputable marketers to be lumped-in with bogus e-mail spam from Nigeria! Ya think?

Resorts & the people who come to visit are the "life" of places like Cabo & Cancun (Playa de Carmen). In fact, tourism is the 2nd largest source of foreign revenue for the country of Mexico. As such, l have learned to respect this business & the thousands of people who make their living in this "honest" trade/profession. These are hard working people doing their best to put food on their table & send their kids to school ... NOT......people who are out "scamming" YOU or the welfare system, Medicare/medicade, or abusing government services. They depend on the success of the marketing department & yes....salesmen..... to keep their jobs!,,,Do these people deserved to be "messed with" for your entertainment?

In addition, there is a very big difference between "scams", which cheat people of their money & "legitimate/ legal" marketing of real goods & services. There is also a big difference between an "unsolicited" telemarketer or direct mail campaign, annoying you at dinner time and ......someone who gets dressed-up, drives downtown in order to directly "solicit" an invitation to a sales presentation ....... for sport! When you leave your house in Cabo, PV or Cancun.....knowing full well that you are not interested nor qualified for the timeshare sales presentation......I don't buy the lame excuse...."but we told them we weren't interested in buying". Come on.....grow-up...it's their job to get you to the sales presentation. If you are just there to mess with these people... Come on...just say NO to the invitation and go buy your own lunch & beer.....WHY did you go to all the trouble to get the invitation?......oh ya....FREE meals, cash, Tee-shirts & booze!!!! In my opinion, you purposely set-out to take advantage of the system for YOUR monetary gain. Too harsh....just harmless good old boy fun...whadda ya think?

I could go on....but I gotta get down to Costco before all the free food samples are gone & I'll have no choice but to buy my own lunch!
Jack1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #54

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Good... I was getting tired of their calls.

Got a call from the Bear just this week. They got the fax tone. Ya think it's the same outfit?
Most likely. I've had them blocked for the past several months but I'm still sick of getting that solitary ring.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #55

Heartland RV Club
I have never and don't think I would ever attend a sales presentation just to get a free meal ...If I get an automated telemarketer call and I'm board at the time ,It's game on

Wayne

Best Telemarketer Prank Ever - Video
Old 06-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Hey Tallyrver & Romeo...

Prior to taking the last couple of years to full-time in our RV, we lived in Cabo San Lucas for 12yrs. I retired to Mexico from the small business I owned ....which by the way employed dozens of salesmen! I started in "sales" .....so for me being a salesman is not a dirty word or in some way a dishonorable way to make a living.....& you are quite correct....I do take offense with people who think it is funny to mess around with sales people for "sport".

Having lived in Cabo, my wife & I, know many people in the Resort world (salesmen, administrators, owners, etc) & many, many more who depend on the Resort/Tourist trade for their livelihood. My wife also taught Yoga at one of the major Resorts for many years where we had the privilege to meet & get to know everyone from the valets & chambermaids to the GM. I also play golf in a league with many timeshare salesmen. Many, many of these guys & gals have advanced university degrees (MBA's, MSC's, Nursing Degrees, LLB's etc) & have worked in the sales divisions for Fortune 500 companies. They have paid their dues (& taxes) so they could earn six (in some cases seven) figure commissions in the Resort World.

We also own timeshare & know many friends & others who also own the product. It has taken use all over the world and enabled us to stay in many fantastic Resorts. Last time I looked Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Hayatt, Hilton,Westin, Marriott, and other major US Hotel/Resort groups all had a timeshare division...... AND provided employment for hundreds of thousands of people. These are NOT scams or disreputable marketers to be lumped-in with bogus e-mail spam from Nigeria! Ya think?

Resorts & the people who come to visit are the "life" of places like Cabo & Cancun (Playa de Carmen). In fact, tourism is the 2nd largest source of foreign revenue for the country of Mexico. As such, l have learned to respect this business & the thousands of people who make their living in this "honest" trade/profession. These are hard working people doing their best to put food on their table & send their kids to school ... NOT......people who are out "scamming" YOU or the welfare system, Medicare/medicade, or abusing government services. They depend on the success of the marketing department & yes....salesmen..... to keep their jobs!,,,Do these people deserved to be "messed with" for your entertainment?

In addition, there is a very big difference between "scams", which cheat people of their money & "legitimate/ legal" marketing of real goods & services. There is also a big difference between an "unsolicited" telemarketer or direct mail campaign, annoying you at dinner time and ......someone who gets dressed-up, drives downtown in order to directly "solicit" an invitation to a sales presentation ....... for sport! When you leave your house in Cabo, PV or Cancun.....knowing full well that you are not interested nor qualified for the timeshare sales presentation......I don't buy the lame excuse...."but we told them we weren't interested in buying". Come on.....grow-up...it's their job to get you to the sales presentation. If you are just there to mess with these people... Come on...just say NO to the invitation and go buy your own lunch & beer.....WHY did you go to all the trouble to get the invitation?......oh ya....FREE meals, cash, Tee-shirts & booze!!!! In my opinion, you purposely set-out to take advantage of the system for YOUR monetary gain. Too harsh....just harmless good old boy fun...whadda ya think?

I could go on....but I gotta get down to Costco before all the free food samples are gone & I'll have no choice but to buy my own lunch!
yappity yappity yappity yap'
If you tell a sales men (or women ) no, and they keep trying to sell you; they have been told; and if you put up with their bull crap for an hour and a halve; you have earned what ever there giveing away.