Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar

yappity yappity yappity yap'
If you tell a sales men (or women ) no, and they keep trying to sell you; they have been told; and if you put up with their bull crap for an hour and a halve; you have earned what ever there giveing away.
If you didn't want to listen to their bull crap for an hour and a "half".......WHY did you go to the sales presentation? .... Oh ya...I forgot...The $200... The free buffet meals....The free jet-ski tickets....The free golf game....The free tee-shirts......The FREE stuff. You do understand that by definition a sales presentation involves lots of yappity, yappity, yappity, yap? Of course, if you just bought the "stuff" yourself, you could skip the yappity, yappity, yappity, yap. Pretty simple.

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
If you didn't want to listen to their bull crap for an hour and a "half".......WHY did you go to the sales presentation? .... Oh ya...I forgot...The $200... The free buffet meals....The free jet-ski tickets....The free golf game....The free tee-shirts......The FREE stuff. You do understand that by definition a sales presentation involves lots of yappity, yappity, yappity, yap? Of course, if you just bought the "stuff" yourself, you could skip the yappity, yappity, yappity, yap. Pretty simple.
First rule of negotiation: Once there is an offer on the table, the first guy to open his yappity, yappity, yappity, yap loses. Just sayin'...

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07PSDCREW
A very same similar thing happened to my wife and I. While camped on the Kancamangus hiway at Jigger Johnson in Conway Nh we headed out for the day to enjoy some fun at Attitash mountain resort in North Conway. While heading to the parking lot to park we saw a sign offering 150$ to sit through a time share presentation. We didn't intend to go as we wanted to have some fun and thats what we came for. While walking in to the entrance, an astute young lady approached us and offered the pitch. My wife asked how long, and she said 30-40 min. Long story short it was almost 3 hrs long and we didn't get to enjoy the facility as we left after the presenter finally finished. We did get our 150$ too. It was a nice place but we weren't really interested in ownership to begin with. They DID TRY REAL HARD to get us to sign and make a deposit though.
We kinda felt guilty afterwards but the money helped our trip some.
That is a profession in itself... Never agree and never say yes and you will win dollars.
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
I keep a data base of products I register. I change my middle initial and keep track of who I sent that initial to. Whenever I get junk mail or email from some place I never heard of with the wrong middle initial, I know who sold my mail or email address. I send them a hate email, quoting their privacy policy, and thank them for selling my information.

You can report solicitors for calling you when you are on the Do Not Call list and they can be fined up to $10,000. Problem is, the Do Not Call people never let you know that outcome of the report.
I never thought of that... You're pretty sneaky
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #61

Quote:
$200 for an hour and a half plus lots of free stuff; I"ll set and listen
Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #62

Quote:

Resorts & the people who come to visit are the "life" of places like Cabo & Cancun (Playa de Carmen).
Most of that statement is your personal experience and opinion and you are welcome to it. The above statement is not accurate and I take exception to the generalization.

That comparison is not valid. Cabo is distant from and quite different than Playa. Everybody who lives in our town is very aware of the two separate economic systems. The people who shop, eat and rent hotel rooms in the town are the lifeblood of the economy.

We live near the "Poblado de Apoyo" in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Quite a few of the big resorts provide "employee housing" for their employees (mostly from out of town) and even feed them right there too. They pick them up in a bus and whisk them back and forth to work at the AIs, provide entertainment on the weekends and basically run a closed system. There is a charge for all this of course, deducted from their pay. That could be considered a scam in itself.

The big AI's do not shop local, spend local, or think local. The community fund raisers are ALL sponsored by the local mom and pop operations. The big AIs are wall to wall along the beach and deny access to locals who are trying to either sell merchandise or enjoy the public section of the beach. Many of the large resorts instruct employees to tell guests that the town is not safe and to do all their shopping in the resort gift shop. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Another Scam!

As I stated before, we never misrepresent ourselves. Neither do we approach the barker on the street. We state "We are not buying" over and over. Most of the time we are reassured that is just fine, "You don't have to buy." If they misjudge their ability or our resolve that is not my problem.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #63

Hey Mike...... Not much chance we are going to agree on this issue however, I appreciate that you have been a good sport and I am surprised you haven' t told me where to shove my sanctimonious attitude. If you and your wife enjoy going to timeshare presentations and messing with salespeople ......have at it! ..... these Resorts and the salespeople are big kids and they can handle it.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #64
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Solved: Why email scammers say they're from Nigeria

You've seen the email.
A terminally ill Nigerian prince or director of a massive corporation contacts you urgently asking you to move a large sum of money, promising you can keep a share. All you need to do is provide your credit card number and banking PIN.
It looks like a scam, sounds like a scam -- it is a scam. But who on earth actually believes these things? If you've ever wondered why these scams are so blatant, here’s why
If you, like thousands of others, were just too smart for your attacker and saw through the tricky plot - it simply means that you were never the target anyway.
'Far-fetched tales of West African riches strike [people] as comical.'
- Principal researcher Cormac Herley

A recent study found that email scammers really aren't interested in appearing believable because it would just be too expensive if everyone fell for it.
The research conducted by Microsoft’s Machine Learning Department, titled "Why do Nigerian scammers say they are from Nigeria?" found that the OTT scam email, complete with typos is a simple, cost effective way of weeding out intelligent people, leaving only the most gullible to hit.
"Far-fetched tales of West African riches strike as comical," wrote principal researcher, Cormac Herley in the study. "Our analysis suggests that is an advantage to the attacker, not a disadvantage.”
“Since his attack has a low density of victims, the Nigerian scammer has an over-riding need to reduce the false positives. By sending an email that repels all but the most gullible, the scammer gets the most promising marks to self-select, and tilts the true to false positive ration in his favor.”
It seems to work. Just last year a Nigerian man was jailed for 12 years after scamming US$1.3 million. In 2008 an Oregon woman lost $400k to a similar scam.
So next time you open a scam email and think to yourself: "Why bother?" live happy in the knowledge you're not the target market.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #65

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
You've seen the email.
[...]
So next time you open a scam email and think to yourself: "Why bother?" live happy in the knowledge you're not the target market.
Fascinating.... They're not as dumb as they know we are.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Many, many of these guys & gals have advanced university degrees (MBA's, MSC's, Nursing Degrees, LLB's etc) & have worked in the sales divisions for Fortune 500 companies. They have paid their dues (& taxes) so they could earn six (in some cases seven) figure commissions in the Resort World.

We also own timeshare & know many friends & others who also own the product. It has taken use all over the world and enabled us to stay in many fantastic Resorts. Last time I looked Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Hayatt, Hilton,Westin, Marriott, and other major US Hotel/Resort groups all had a timeshare division...... AND provided employment for hundreds of thousands of people. These are NOT scams or disreputable marketers to be lumped-in with bogus e-mail spam from Nigeria! Ya think?

Resorts & the people who come to visit are the "life" of places like Cabo & Cancun (Playa de Carmen). In fact, tourism is the 2nd largest source of foreign revenue for the country of Mexico. As such, l have learned to respect this business & the thousands of people who make their living in this "honest" trade/profession. These are hard working people doing their best to put food on their table & send their kids to school ... NOT......people who are out "scamming" YOU or the welfare system, Medicare/Medicaid, or abusing government services. They depend on the success of the marketing department & yes....salesmen..... to keep their jobs!,,,Do these people deserved to be "messed with" for your entertainment?

In addition, there is a very big difference between "scams", which cheat people of their money & "legitimate/ legal" marketing of real goods & services. There is also a big difference between an "unsolicited" telemarketer or direct mail campaign, annoying you at dinner time and ......someone who gets dressed-up, drives downtown in order to directly "solicit" an invitation to a sales presentation ....... for sport! When you leave your house in Cabo, PV or Cancun.....knowing full well that you are not interested nor qualified for the timeshare sales presentation......I don't buy the lame excuse...."but we told them we weren't interested in buying". Come on.....grow-up...it's their job to get you to the sales presentation. If you are just there to mess with these people... Come on...just say NO to the invitation and go buy your own lunch & beer.....WHY did you go to all the trouble to get the invitation?......oh ya....FREE meals, cash, Tee-shirts & booze!!!! In my opinion, you purposely set-out to take advantage of the system for YOUR monetary gain. Too harsh....just harmless good old boy fun...whadda ya think?

I could go on....but I gotta get down to Costco before all the free food samples are gone & I'll have no choice but to buy my own lunch!
Timeshares are a dime a dozen available on the Internet at many aftermarket web sites for a fraction of what they originally cost the owner. That is the ONLY place I would ever consider purchasing a time share from, and certainly NOT from one of the vacation spots in the tourist areas around the world where you have to take a tour, then a presentation followed by multiple sales people trained at getting you to say yes.

Those people are well trained at closing any deal no matter whether you want it, need it, or can afford it. They will not take NO for an answer no matter what. You call them sales professionals but I call them thieves. It is not a scam by any stretch of the imagination because you get to see exactly what you are paying for and you do get something but usually at a very high price.

A scam is where they bilk you out of money and your pocket is now lighter for nothing in return.

The two timeshares that I got talked into, one after the other, located in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta now belong to my ex-wife. It is her responsibility to maintain the cost of those money pits now.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film

Timeshares are a dime a dozen available on the Internet at many aftermarket web sites for a fraction of what they originally cost the owner. That is the ONLY place I would ever consider purchasing a time share from, and certainly NOT from one of the vacation spots in the tourist areas around the world where you have to take a tour, then a presentation followed by multiple sales people trained at getting you to say yes.

Those people are well trained at closing any deal no matter whether you want it, need it, or can afford it. They will not take NO for an answer no matter what. You call them sales professionals but I call them thieves. It is not a scam by any stretch of the imagination because you get to see exactly what you are paying for and you do get something but usually at a very high price.

A scam is where they bilk you out of money and your pocket is now lighter for nothing in return.

The two timeshares that I got talked into, one after the other, located in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta now belong to my ex-wife. It is her responsibility to maintain the cost of those money pits now.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Hey Richard.....I don't understand your logic. Because you can purchased something USED on the Internet for less than something NEW....so what? Because you buy your MH New, does this make you stupid? Does it make the salesman a thief? After all, they are a dime a dozen in the aftermarket and at a fraction of the original cost.

BTW....salespeople are paid to "close". Show me a salesperson who likes to take "NO" for an answer and I'll show you someone about to be unemployed. This is not a game to these people...they don't sell for awhile...they don't eat...they don't sell for a long while .....they starve and look for a new line of work. What did you think when you took the Resort's free stuff & money...that they were going to train their salespeople to "just" show you to the buffet table?

People go to these sales presentation because they want the "free stuff"...... Fair enough....I just don't have a lot of sympathy for the moaning & complaining about the Resort or the salespeople when it's over. You were compensated for your time. It's like phoning the telemarketer & leaving a message to call you back and then complaining when they call.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #68

Quote:
Hey Mike...... Not much chance we are going to agree on this issue however, I appreciate that you have been a good sport and I am surprised you haven' t told me where to shove my sanctimonious attitude. If you and your wife enjoy going to timeshare presentations and messing with salespeople ......have at it! ..... these Resorts and the salespeople are big kids and they can handle it.
Who is Mike?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan

Who is Mike?
Sorry....Mick.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #70

This has gotten so far off topic and stupid I'm gone....