Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hate liver cancer!

Wife was diagnosed with Hepatocellular Carcinoma‎ or liver cancer in June. Just had her first chemoembolization Friday before last and we're waiting for the results of a CT scan they did 6 hours after the treatment.
At present we don't have any idea how many times they can do the chemo or even what more they can do.
She's been sick for over three years and we thought it was getting better as she hadn't vomited blood for over two years. So we traded our '02 Dutch Star in on the Magna, which promptly blew the engine after only 2,600 miles. There's a thread on it in the Cummins forum, in fact there are several that others posted too.
Anyway the treatment consisted of passing a catheter through an incision in her groin up to the liver, injecting the chemo and then a sticky substance to cut off the blood supply. There is also a second tumor with more "shadows" showing. They were not able to do anything with the second tumor other than try to shut off the blood flow.
Survival rates at 5 years are 2% if nothing done, 50% doing the chemoembolization and 70% if they can do a transplant.
And there in lies a problem, only 5% of those with this cancer get one in time.
Just getting the bills now and not even all of them we're at $76,100! Luckily we went on Cobra and have Medicare as well but that's still costing us over $1,600 month.
I'm sure there are others out there with similar stories! Sorry but I need to vent some!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I feel your pain. I lost my only brother to that damn cancer twelve years ago.

You are fortunate in the fact that many new treatments have come on line since then. At that time a liver transplant was out of the question and all they could do was chemo which made his life unbearable for six weeks, and then he felt better for a couple months, then do it all again.

There are new treatments coming all the time now. Have hope.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
So Sorry to hear that your wife is ill.

Hopefully, a good break will come your way.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #4

Vent all you want personally, I HATE CANCER. We have had a run of it in our family over the past years, from our 4 year old grandson to my mom. Some made it (grandson, wife, me), some didn't, dad, mom and most recently my brother in law.

Keep the faith, yell loud that we all HATE CANCER!.

Don't forget to check out some of the support forums, they can be a wealth of information.

Praying for your wife.
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #5

You need to really study the transplant programs - My wifes brother went through this two years ago - Seems every progam is different but the sicker the patient the higher the priority on the list. He is doing well now after the transplant. Also you can be on more than one list. - As a rare cancer survivor myself I was given only a small chance to live five years by an "expert" I quickly found another "expert" and that was 10 years ago - Keep fighting and use cncer support groups.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm so sorry to hear about Mrs. D and am keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #7
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Mr_D: So sorry to hear about your wife. Praying for here speedy recovery!

Steve P: Sorry to hear about your family's encounter with C! You will be in our thoughts and prayers too!
Old 08-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We tried to get on OHSU's transplant list in Portland OR since we live abput 15 miles away. Seems our insurance won't work with OHSU so the next closest is Seattle and it's 160+ miles. DW was refusing to consider it up till today. If she makes it on the list and gets to the top we'd have to take the MH up there and live. There is a $10,000 mileage/living allowance though plus most of the test's she already had done will transfer. Guess she's going to call tomorrow and get the ball rolling for Seattle.
The chemoembolization that they did is one of the newer treatments. The problem is that there is already another tumor showing and more "shadows". Dr says it's like playing "whack a mole", you get one tumor and then another pops up. At some point there isn't going to be enough liver left to keep her alive.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #9

I HATE CANCER!!!!!!
We're with you.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wife was diagnosed with Hepatocellular Carcinoma‎ or liver cancer in June. Just had her first chemoembolization Friday before last and we're waiting for the results of a CT scan they did 6 hours after the treatment.
At present we don't have any idea how many times they can do the chemo or even what more they can do.
She's been sick for over three years and we thought it was getting better as she hadn't vomited blood for over two years. So we traded our '02 Dutch Star in on the Magna, which promptly blew the engine after only 2,600 miles. There's a thread on it in the Cummins forum, in fact there are several that others posted too.
Anyway the treatment consisted of passing a catheter through an incision in her groin up to the liver, injecting the chemo and then a sticky substance to cut off the blood supply. There is also a second tumor with more "shadows" showing. They were not able to do anything with the second tumor other than try to shut off the blood flow.
Survival rates at 5 years are 2% if nothing done, 50% doing the chemoembolization and 70% if they can do a transplant.
And there in lies a problem, only 5% of those with this cancer get one in time.
Just getting the bills now and not even all of them we're at $76,100! Luckily we went on Cobra and have Medicare as well but that's still costing us over $1,600 month.
I'm sure there are others out there with similar stories! Sorry but I need to vent some!

So sorry to hear of your challenges! Thank you for sharing this with us. We will be praying for her! Remember, God is still in control!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #11

Sorry to hear this, your Wife and you will be in our prayers, that God gives her a speedy recovery and supports you through this.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #12

prayers going out to you both ,been there ..they found my wifes when she had 4 months left ,she made it for 3 more ,now i am raising my grandsons ,and yes venting is a good thing ,used to go out late at night ,to find a big field ,and just scream ,helped a little ,dont try to keep it in
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Prayers to you both.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2 View Post
prayers going out to you both ,been there ..they found my wifes when she had 4 months left ,she made it for 3 more ,now i am raising my grandsons ,and yes venting is a good thing ,used to go out late at night ,to find a big field ,and just scream ,helped a little ,dont try to keep it in
I'm afraid that that's about where she is with the months left. I hope I'm wrong though.
Her mother also had liver cancer and lasted 3 months.