Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Why not go to COSTCO or carpet store and get some quality thick pile artificial turf/grass. My dog loves to lay on it and poo on it too in lieu of rock, asphault and dirt.
Folks cruising on boats do the above all the time. Often it is difficult to go ashore to walk the dog.

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 11:37 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Just venting at what a pain in the rear it was to walk the dogs. Not so much complaining per se.

But in all honesty, it wouldn't be hard for them to grow gross another 3 feet, to the "RV parking side" of the fence too.

Along the edge of the parking lot, right up next to the adjoining fence into the actual convention center, back in the far back corner of their big lot, there is a 3 foot strip of dirt on the rv side of the fence where all of the electric, sewer and water is, and they have about 30 back in spots.

So they grow grass on their side of the fence, right up to the fence... it's really not a stretch to let it grow another 3 feet wide, under the fence, for the length of the rv parking only. Not only that, it would have spruced the place up a little. A little stingy if you ask me, especially when they are charging you $35 bucks a night to chill there.
Thanks - I wasn't aware they have it setup for RVs. In that case, yeah, you'd think it wouldn't cost them much to extend the grass a bit...

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:20 AM   #17
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Chances are there was probably grass there originally, but some RVers didn't pick up the poo and the lawn service started refusing to cut the grass on that side of the fence.

It's sad that some folks think they have to have a dog, but aren't responsible owners. Those few ruin it for us all.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:09 AM   #18

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Chances are there was probably grass there originally, but some RVers didn't pick up the poo and the lawn service started refusing to cut the grass on that side of the fence.

It's sad that some folks think they have to have a dog, but aren't responsible owners. Those few ruin it for us all.

Huh?
Chances are you probably just needed to complain about something...

Why else would you theorize a scenario like that?
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #19
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windydaboo View Post
Huh?
Chances are you probably just needed to complain about something...

Why else would you theorize a scenario like that?
Because I know a commercial lawn service guy that has given several apartment complexes the ultimatum to either get rid of the dog manure or he would quit mowing those areas or charge them $50 per hour for his guys to pick it up. It's bad enough to pick up your own dog's poo, but some unknown dog? And it's never poo from toy breeds that seems to get left. He said he never knew there were that many huge dogs living in apartments.

I'm glad to know that you always pick up your dog's feces, but sadly not everyone is as considerate as you and I.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #20

The occasions when we WM it the grassy areas are also very sparse. However I am a walker so we just walk and walk and eventually they find a spot that they like. My assumption is that they provide the spaces as a convenience and do not consider themselves a campground. We travel to car shows and pay more than that for less services ...and then there is Penn State Tailgating when we pay more than that for no services. I would just deal with it and scratch it off your list for future visits.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #21

Quote:
6 days of travel, and now parked at the San Mateo convention center for a show this weekend, and the back of this place is a total dump. It's a cruddy parking lot with construction, a freeway, forklifts, noise, and guess what else... They have grass... On the convention center side only and posted no dogs, but just on my side of the fence, an area that could easily be grass, is just dead dirt ... And I got me two dogs that love to poo on grass and I'm here for 5 days
That bites.

I grew up in Houston and Katy. Went to Spring Branch HS but they close it in my Junior year and ended up graduating from Spring Woods. Many memories there in the 80s.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our girls prefer to potty in the same place all the time, in our yard. And on walks it seems they have preferences along our route, too. But they still go, even in the not 'chosen' spots, if they have to. Your dogs will figure it out, and it is easier to find and pick up for disposal, on bare ground.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Just venting at what a pain in the rear it was to walk the dogs. Not so much complaining per se.

But in all honesty, it wouldn't be hard for them to grow gross another 3 feet, to the "RV parking side" of the fence too.

So they grow grass on their side of the fence, right up to the fence... it's really not a stretch to let it grow another 3 feet wide, under the fence, for the length of the rv parking only. Not only that, it would have spruced the place up a little. A little stingy if you ask me, especially when they are charging you $35 bucks a night to chill there.
In many places in the West lawn grass is not a native species. It requires soil conditioning, an irrigation system, WATER, and labor to cut and maintain it. All that so dogs can use it for a bathroom? California already has a drought emergency. Walk a few blocks, I'm sure you could find an alternative.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Plasma,
Did you try the artificial turf ? did it work out?
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
In many places in the West lawn grass is not a native species. It requires soil conditioning, an irrigation system, WATER, and labor to cut and maintain it. All that so dogs can use it for a bathroom? California already has a drought emergency. Walk a few blocks, I'm sure you could find an alternative.

it appears that all of califnoria is low on water, labor and money. There wree signs every where about the GOV has cut the water that everyone paid for. I5 was littered with them for 500 miles! youch.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Plasma,
Did you try the artificial turf ? did it work out?
I haven't yet, but I sure as heck am going to try it.

Can you pick this up at home depot?
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 01-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
I just gotta vent

Quote:
I haven't yet, but I sure as heck am going to try it.
I'd think the first time you pull the used patch of artificial turf back out of a basement compartment you're gonna wish you had a vent --- in the storage compartment!!
Our dogs (RIP) enjoyed grass for dumping, in fact one preferred a shrub, making cleaning up tough, but in a pinch they'd squat about anywhere. The labor involved in cleaning a carpet each time seems a bit much for such a basic function.
Reminds me of my father-in-law who was to care for his sister's spoiled poodle. When directed to wipe the dog's behind after each transaction, he told her she should have trained him better!!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I just gotta vent

I'd think the first time you pull the used patch of artificial turf back out of a basement compartment you're gonna wish you had a vent --- in the storage compartment!!
Our dogs (RIP) enjoyed grass for dumping, in fact one preferred a shrub, making cleaning up tough, but in a pinch they'd squat about anywhere. The labor involved in cleaning a carpet each time seems a bit much for such a basic function.
Reminds me of my father-in-law who was to care for his sister's spoiled poodle. When directed to wipe the dog's behind after each transaction, he told her she should have trained him better!!
they are learning, poor things, hey are used to just the back door opening, and a wide expanse of grass being before them with no leashes.... so now we are traveling and it's leashes, rocks, sticker burrs, cactuses, distractions, new smells, **i*ty campgrounds, people, noises, other dogs, ground hogs, birds, mud, water,,,,

it's also a big difference that my dachshunds have VERY short legs, and their girly bits darn near touch, or do touch the ground when they do their thing. So peeing on hard surfaces, the pee has a tendency to pool and run into their back feet... I would not want that either if it were my feet.

I'm sure they will adjust. I'm just glad I have hem adjusted to NOT getting under the brake pedal

'14 Ram 3500 Aisin

Tags
vent