Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
I love growing old and retaining my analytical skills

I love growing old and I love that my analytical skills are still in tact. I have had a career in the technology field for the past 40 years so that has helped keep them sharp.

Now let me share and here is a warning this is kind of long. This past Memorial Day weekend my wife and I spent the weekend at the NC Coast (great weekend) and my wife and I Thank all of You who have served this great country, Yes Great Country, you can complain all you want about it and no one comes to your home and does bad things to you because of your complaints. Who do you think you thank for that?

We have a 31-foot Class C Four wind that is not overloaded by the way. About 15 minutes into the trip back home I noticed a slight bump had developed in the ride. I look over at the wife a couple of times and she acts as though nothing unusual is going on.

Now I know my wife after 44 years and she tends to focus on some things quite intently. So I say to self, do you really want to ask the wife if she feels the ride may be a little bumpy? Now here there will be one of three things that will happen; (1), she says no and everything is ok or (2), She will immediately feel the huge bump and will mention that is getting worse every 10 minutes until we get home. (3) I will have to stop at the next tire center and install six new tires. This time I decide not to involve my wife and keep quiet.

I mentioned one time I thought I may have a little arthritis in my thumb and she finds all kind of remedies like adding Cherries to my diet, raw Potato juice, Pineapple juice, Raisins soaked in gin (that one is not bad if you get to drink the gin with the raisins), that went on until I said I was cured. Now you say that is normal, she just cares for you. Then there was the time I lost my pocketknife and mentioned it to my wife (growing up on a farm a knife was a tool not a weapon). She looked over every part of the house for days until I bought another knife and told her I had found it. I later found it on the floor in my closet; just glad she did not find it first.

So we arrived home ok and the next day I take the coach to the shop that does most of the tire work for me. They visually inspect the tires while on the coach, check tire pressure and says they see nothing visually wrong but they will be glad to remove each tire and un-mount them for a detail inspection, re-balance and re-install each tire.

Now here is where one of the older mechanics offered a suggestion, He suggest that I raise the maximum tire pressure by 10 pounds on each tire and drive down the interstate 10 minutes in one direction turn around drive back and He would take a look and may be able to isolate the problem. He explained that by using an inferred thermometer on each tire when I returned he could possibly find the bad one. Theory was that the bump would cause the defective tire to be hotter that the rest. He called it a “stress test” for the tires.
He gave all kinds of disclaimers that the tire (if defective) could separate or even blow out and cause great damage and it would not be his fault.

I chose to have them removed, inspected and re-balanced. The defective tire was located on passenger side rear inside tire. The separation was really not visible without removing the tire. The tires were two years old and not a name brand, but load range E and the size that the sticker in the door called for.

Now here is where the analysis kicked in, I had my yearly physical a month ago and my Doctor says at my age I should schedule a cardiac “stress test” just to check things out. Now I see the light just came on with some of you as it did with me.

A “stress test” when life and limb are not involved and spare parts is readily available and if there are no other alternatives may be ok.

But to have a “stress test” when spare parts are not readily available and life and limb is at risk is not an option, in my opinion. It has probably saved many lives but I think not mine.

My wife says I tend to over-analyze things, I think I share too much with my wife.

A wonderful Wife
Two children and 7 grand kids 1997 Four Winds Class C M-31QSB V-10
ReelTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great story, Ron. I'm glad you found that troublesome tire, and that you had a safe trip home.

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I will suggest that a stress test for your heart is a good thing though

Didn't know I had any issues until we took one... good luck...
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A stress test is painless and can add years to your wifes misery. Living with you that is. Just kidding of course. But it probably saved my life 11 years ago. Didn't have a heart attack but would have. A stent made me feel like I had just replaced a clogged fuel filter. Can save heart damage and open heart surgery if caught early enough. Do it for your wife.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
A stress test saved my wife's life 2 years ago. The doctor saw something and sent her in foe an angioplasty immediately. She had one artery blocked 95%. Could have had the big one at any time. Life would never be the same without her. GET IT DONE!!!!!
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale)* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had one regular and two nucluear stress tests. None found the bad gall bladder that was causing my problems. Neither one one of the nucluear tests found the four badly blocked arteries, they were done after my quad bypass. The regular test was done years before I had the bypasses. Sip a little wine and think about. Probably wouldn't hurt you (the wine or the stress test).
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
Thanks for the guidance guys and I know you only have my well being at heart. I really like being alive and I enjoy every day. That enjoyment has a lot to do with attitude and the perception of things around you. I am a man off science I believe in what I can test and I have confidence in the results. Now with that said most Sunday mornings my wife and I are at church giving thanks for what we have and asking for guidance for the week to follow.

You can believe me that if there were any reason to have the stress test (other that at my age) I would do so.

I recall through my life hearing different people make the comment that “when they were in their teens they thought my parents knew nothing.

That was not the case with me; I thought My Father and Mother along with my Uncles and Aunts knew everything about life and living that is.

One of the many things my Father said that I remember was “ don’t go looking for something you are not prepared to find”. Well really it was “don’t go looking for something you do not want to find”. The first one is the one I passed on to my Son.

Another one was “It’s going to be a great day were on the right side of the grass” I miss my Dad.

Thank guys; it’s going to be a great day!
A wonderful Wife
Two children and 7 grand kids 1997 Four Winds Class C M-31QSB V-10
ReelTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
But, spare parts are available. Pacemaker implants are routine, and heart transplants are almost routine. Less drastic, are angioplasty and a whole range of drug therapies.

Retired electronics engineer. Avid paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, diesel, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253FBS (27' 5er) & '94 19' Class B
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
re: stress test. In this case ignorance is bliss. I thought I was OK for my age (65 st the time) until I noticed I tired easily and my left arm felt heavy at times. Casually mentioned it to my DW. She immediately demanded I go to the ER. There they discovered I had had a mild heart attack previously. Three days later I underwent a quadruple bypass. My heart doctor told me a stress test would sounded a alarm before I had the heart attack.

BTW, glad you found the defective tire.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote