Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfsted View Post
I always thought it was just me. I don't even want to say Hi anymore at campgrounds let alone fueling up at stations along interstates where every nutcase in the world pulls in.

When camping and sitting outside, I try to sit where I'm not easily seen. Unless they have a dog with them I pretty much stay to myself.

I deal with the public all day for my job. When I'm camping I want to detox from humanity.
You sound like my oldest daughter. She is the managing Pharmacist at a Walmart pharmacy and has to deal with the humanity that maybe aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. I know because I often go with her to court when she has to testify against someone who has been caught doing something illegal, drug wise. Like the time a guy gave her a scrip for a morphine pain killer from a doctor on the other side of the state. Funny part was she recognized the doctors name as a a boy from her high school who was her first date and first kiss probably 25 years ago! She called him up and after exchanging pleasantries she mentioned the scrip and he said it was stolen and forged and to call the cops! At court the guy said ...no kidding..."I didn't know it was stolen, I bought it from someone online who said it was a good prescription and anyone could use it."

Yea she likes to chill out all alone on a beach somewhere far far away.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Pete, you accidentally swallowed a "weirdo" magnet for sure!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
LOL, sheesh man.
I used to get the "I'll polish your wheels for $20 dollars" a lot.
No thanks!
How about the guys with a rag and a spray bottle, (no ladder or step stool), who want to wash your windows, (the tops of which are 9-10 feet of the ground)?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm not sure the guy with the infrared thermometer was a fruitcake like the rest. Probably another rver trying to be helpful. More than likely just got his new toy too.

Those other people though....
Old 07-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I have ran into many weirdos over the years but the weirdest one was a woman in her thirties that looked very strung out wanting me to give her money so she could buy a head stone for her daughter whom had passed.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
The ones that irk to me the most are my fellow Rvers . I once was approached by a man in an Alabama rest stop, who asked for a few bucks to get to the next town, so he could by gas. I had just watched him climb out of an almost new HR. Now that is creative financing....Needless to say, I left him stranded :0
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Pulled into a fuel station......
Is it just me, or are there actually a lot of nuttier than fruit cake types out there??? Three of them in two days is a bit too much for me.
Well, were you in your home state of Kentucky? Na, not poking fun but I'm just south of you in Tn. and I get the gas can thing from time to time. I fuel up a work vehicle at the same stations day after day and a day after a guy pulled that on me I saw his truck again on the side of the road just down from the station (which he had pointed at when telling me his sob story the day before).
Sure enough he was wandering from pump to pump telling the same story. For some reason he didn't make contact or talk to me the second day!

And the IR thermometer guy was definitely misguided but he was right! That's one of my favorite RVing tools. Super handy for checking tire temps on the road and dutch oven lids before you burn yourself.

86scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86scotty View Post
Well, were you in your home state of Kentucky? Na, not poking fun but I'm just south of you in Tn. and I get the gas can thing from time to time. I fuel up a work vehicle at the same stations day after day and a day after a guy pulled that on me I saw his truck again on the side of the road just down from the station (which he had pointed at when telling me his sob story the day before).
Sure enough he was wandering from pump to pump telling the same story. For some reason he didn't make contact or talk to me the second day!

And the IR thermometer guy was definitely misguided but he was right! That's one of my favorite RVing tools. Super handy for checking tire temps on the road and dutch oven lids before you burn yourself.

Actually the first two of the "intrusions" were in Georgia, and the last one with the Bible commentary was in your great state of Tennessee!

I agree with the usefulness of the IR thermometer, the questionable part was holding it like a gun pointing it at me as he approached. I was trapped between the walls of the coach on one side, the fueling pumps on the other side, and a fuel hose draped from pump to coach behind me. I had a fleeting thought of pulling the nozzle from the tank and pointing it at him. But I can see the headlines now "Two Men Duel Using IR Thermometer And A Diesel Fuel Nozzle As Weapons" splashed across the headlines

On a side note, I don't want to dis either one of these two beautiful states. Events like these can happen anywhere.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:41 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a blogger out there "We're the Russo's". They stayed in a truck stop once and were approached by a guy who told about a two paragraph story of his family and finally explained that he needed someone to pee in his cup for a job interview at this same truck stop.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #24

The weirdest camper I ever met.....who really turned me into a loner camper, was this very good looking young man several spots down from us. He walked by everyday several times always greeting us. I finally said he could sit and visit.

He told me his life story...raised in Clayton, MO, a very affluent area in St Louis area. He owned land in the Ozarks and traveled back and forth. He had a new Toyota Tundra with a really nice slide in camper. He had long hair, never wore a shirt or shoes.

I told him what I did for a living having worked in Clayton a couple of times. So I asked what he did for a living. He jumped up and screamed that it was none of my &%@#$)×? £€ business what he did and that he considered it the rudest thing to even ask!! Off he went stomping to his campsite. Yet, he couldn't resist walking by several times the next few days. He finally approached and said , " I will tell you this much. I am a trustafarian".

I had heard of Rastafarians but not trustafarians. So I Googled it and that's what he was. So if you guys ever meet one just don't ask what they do.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
trustafarians Nice gig if you can get it!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I don't have that issue.

I'm 6'2" 300# gray hair cut real short with a gray goatee.......the crazies start to approach and I just given them that "Oh no you don't look"
That really was you! I was coming up to say hi, saw the look, and actually ran away.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #27

Sorry BigD, it's you.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #28

I must be a magnet for fruit cakes

BigD, yes it can, and I'm not poking fun of any particular states either, but the bible thing is definitely only going to happen in the South!

The strangest encounter we've had was at a dark foggy campground in Wyoming just off the interstate. We pulled in late to a deserted CG except for 2 occupied sites so we went to the opposite end as to not bother them. Within a few minutes some guy walked up on me in the fog as I was grilling, scaring the crap out of me, and asked if we had cell phones. I shrugged him off as it was none of his business and he gave me a speech about why he was camping there because it was far from cell towers and he could 'feel' them. He asked if we would mind turning them off for the night. We didn't of course, but the next day Google showed us these people are real. That doesn't mean I believe them but there are some out there who claim to be able to feel cell phone waves and are physically affected by them. Supposedly they cause them all sorts of problems. Anyway, the guy really creeped us out. Had I not been so tired from the drive I probably would not have slept. I don't carry weapons on long interstate trips so people like that in a deserted CG far from civilization can certainly be disturbing.
86scotty is offline   Reply With Quote