Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #43
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
My MOM was a strong hell/fire and brimstone Southern Baptist
When Jehovah Witness would come knocking MOM would invite them right on in ----like the spider and the fly

Jehovah Witness put the word out..........bypass our house. Too many were being converted

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #44

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Yes Wiccan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1467916308243.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	132306  

Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:32 PM   #45

Recently during a stop for truck trouble while pulling my trailer a dufus offered me some water from Medford ,Or. since I had the hood up and was running hot. Not knowing I lived in the area also. and that I had about 50 gallons of water I was going to politely refuse until he asked $5 a gallon. I said in a loud voice NO! He didn't hang around very long. Lucky for him since I was in no mood to put up with him.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:07 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker art View Post
Recently during a stop for truck trouble while pulling my trailer a dufus offered me some water from Medford ,Or. since I had the hood up and was running hot. Not knowing I lived in the area also. and that I had about 50 gallons of water I was going to politely refuse until he asked $5 a gallon. I said in a loud voice NO! He didn't hang around very long. Lucky for him since I was in no mood to put up with him.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:30 AM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am in the 6'3", 300 lb category, short cropped gray hair and retired US Army. I have some Retired US Army notes on our coach and toad. For most that is enough, until I get the gas can carrying guy that has got the rap of "hey sir, can you spare some gas or cash for a fellow vet". At first, it touched me. But then I remember, this fellow had been moving from car to car changing his rap as he went. My family was extremely poor growing up and at no time did any of us ever panhandle or beg. Rather we were raised to work hard and long. Served me well and it would these "destitute" folks. Sorry to be hard hearted but it is what it is.

For the thread starter, too funny. For the reply "are you out of San Fran yet" FUNNY. I flew back into the US after being gone overseas for more than a year - thought I landed on another planet. So I absolutely get it.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:46 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
I used to give out money left and right to any soul needing some help. But once I moved to the Los Angeles/Hollywood area to finish my career and was approached almost constantly by people only wanting money to buy drugs or alcohol I stopped completely except for one person that truly needed food. After talking with him for a few minutes we walked across the street to a deli and went through the store purchasing various items for him to eat. Once we were outside I observed him packing it all into his backpack and he was VERY thankful for the food.

I refuse to give out ANY money to anyone. I have offered restaurant left-overs to individuals looking for a handout but they have always refused as they want money to buy drugs.

I am appalled at the number of panhandlers you now see at freeway exit ramps, stop lights, shopping mall exits, etc. It's like people have gotten too accustomed to relying on entitlements that if they stop they still feel that someone else should support them and their habits.

Sorry, I worked many years, 46, and some of those were two jobs to make ends meet and made thousands of sacrifices to have what I earned today and I'm not about to give it away to those that feel they should get it for free.

Sometimes I actually tell them to go get a real job even if it pays only a few dollars. At least you will have some self-worth by working for the money versus expecting others to give you it for free.

Sorry for the rant!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-09-2016, 06:03 AM   #49

Not quite a panhandler story, but an interesting incident while taking in the Indy 500 this year. Following the race, we dropped down into Kentucky and Tennessee, and pulled off the interstate for a fuel stop.

There was around a 40'+ Class A in an outside pump lane, and that lane's approach and exit area would allow my 33' Class C and toad to fit nicely. I pulled in behind the guy, and saw that no one was at the pump. My thought was that either he had just arrived, or was in the station paying. I patently waited for around five minutes, but there was no activity around the unit. Shortly after, a guy exits the station and slowly wanders back to the unit.

Good. He's fueled and had payed and will be on his way. Not so.

We can see his coach sway a bit from time to time, as it's apparent that someone is walking around inside. Meanwhile, the station is a beehive of activity, with cars and other vehicles coming and going in a constant stream.

Another five minutes pass, and I've had my limit of patience. I was standing aside my pump, and walked to the front of his unit, hoping to gain his attention. Seeing no one, I walked back to mine and waited a bit more. Finally, I'd had enough, and walked up the passenger side. Though the large window on that side, I could see the guy and three others, all seated at a table and eating lunch!

How insensitive! I caught his attention and motioned for him to move, and then I went toward the station to make a complaint. A minute later, he was finally gone!

Some people!
Old 07-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #50
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiloh14 View Post
Not quite a panhandler story, but an interesting incident while taking in the Indy 500 this year. Following the race, we dropped down into Kentucky and Tennessee, and pulled off the interstate for a fuel stop.

There was around a 40'+ Class A in an outside pump lane, and that lane's approach and exit area would allow my 33' Class C and toad to fit nicely. I pulled in behind the guy, and saw that no one was at the pump. My thought was that either he had just arrived, or was in the station paying. I patently waited for around five minutes, but there was no activity around the unit. Shortly after, a guy exits the station and slowly wanders back to the unit.

Good. He's fueled and had payed and will be on his way. Not so.

We can see his coach sway a bit from time to time, as it's apparent that someone is walking around inside. Meanwhile, the station is a beehive of activity, with cars and other vehicles coming and going in a constant stream.

Another five minutes pass, and I've had my limit of patience. I was standing aside my pump, and walked to the front of his unit, hoping to gain his attention. Seeing no one, I walked back to mine and waited a bit more. Finally, I'd had enough, and walked up the passenger side. Though the large window on that side, I could see the guy and three others, all seated at a table and eating lunch!

How insensitive! I caught his attention and motioned for him to move, and then I went toward the station to make a complaint. A minute later, he was finally gone!

Some people!

I thought I had heard it all!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I used to give out money left and right to any soul needing some help. But once I moved to the Los Angeles/Hollywood area to finish my career and was approached almost constantly by people only wanting money to buy drugs or alcohol I stopped completely except for one person that truly needed food. After talking with him for a few minutes we walked across the street to a deli and went through the store purchasing various items for him to eat. Once we were outside I observed him packing it all into his backpack and he was VERY thankful for the food.

I refuse to give out ANY money to anyone. I have offered restaurant left-overs to individuals looking for a handout but they have always refused as they want money to buy drugs.

I am appalled at the number of panhandlers you now see at freeway exit ramps, stop lights, shopping mall exits, etc. It's like people have gotten too accustomed to relying on entitlements that if they stop they still feel that someone else should support them and their habits.

Sorry, I worked many years, 46, and some of those were two jobs to make ends meet and made thousands of sacrifices to have what I earned today and I'm not about to give it away to those that feel they should get it for free.

Sometimes I actually tell them to go get a real job even if it pays only a few dollars. At least you will have some self-worth by working for the money versus expecting others to give you it for free.

Sorry for the rant!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
X2.... well said, exactly how we feel. Don't apologize for the rant, it's simply the truth and sometimes people need to hear that. People who truly fall on hard times and it is only temporary, do not go out and Panhandle, they find other ways to get thru it, and work hard to get back on track. People who constantly make bad decisions in their life are the ones who feel a sense of entitlement, and think everyone else should take care of them or their problems. I'd rather give my help to those that are really trying to improve their situation.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
This is why I like a nice Flying J with RV lanes, that is until some #$%^ in a car parks in one to go get dinner.

Had this happen more than once ....gave up on the rv lanes and now just go over to the trucker's diesel pumps and use my Pilot/FJ card and pay at the pump.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
I've got no patience for panhandlers ... and we've got a pantload of 'em around here. From the guys with the gas cans, to the guys on the corner with the "homeless please help" signs begging from the passing cars. We've got several "regulars" that bring their kids with 'em. I simply ignore 'em. If/when one tries to approach me - I put up my hand and tell 'em to walk away, I'm not interested. Most are pretty docile if you don't do anything to encourage 'em.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Had this happen more than once ....gave up on the rv lanes and now just go over to the trucker's diesel pumps and use my Pilot/FJ card and pay at the pump.

Ron
I had just pulled up to a truck lane at Flying J and got behind a truck that was pulling out. Suddenly he stopped. I guess he thought he had pulled up far enough and hopped out of the cab and jogged inside. I was stuck. Couldn't pull up far enough to reach the pumps and couldn't back up with the toad connected. I finally went inside and asked the desk clerk to page the driver. Someone came over to the clerk and said something to him and the clerk turned to me and said "the driver is in the showers and will be out shortly"!!!!!!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:55 AM   #55

Years ago my son and I were at the gas station. He was filling up my Ford Ranger. A guy on a bicycle rode over to me and asked for money. I said "See that kid filling my truck....you know how much he eats? See the truck....? Payments are $325.00 a month. I have another truck, a big one, payments on it are $390.00 a month. I owe this year's taxes and last year too. I have to pay the material bill on the job I'm just finishing and the job before that."

He started to ride off and I yelled, " I'm not done!! I have a mortgage for 20 more years!!! And credit cards!!!! I'll trade you everything I have for your bicycle. ....the catch is, you have to make all the payments!!!!!"

He rode away and never looked back.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:13 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
Have you made it out of San Francisco yet?
Drove up the coast 2 years ago, all we saw was "no over nite camping" signs and ended up in the Pelican Point RV park in Half Moon Bay (dont bother) I have found the places south of Monterey are much friendlier....