Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Many years ago I worked at a Target store near a major intersection. We used to watch every day a certain couple work the corner for hours on end. One would sit in a wheelchair with a cast on their leg while the other would hold up the sign and collect the donations. A few hours later they would switch places and the cast would be on the other person. When they were done for the day they would pack it all up and head to Target for some shopping.

On the flip side of that was another guy who worked a corner washing your windshield when you stopped. He always asked if he could and never asked for money. Folks would tip him. The news did an interview with him and he claimed he pulled in over 40K a year just by being nice. Not everyone tipped and he was always ok with that and smiled and waved them on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #58

I get the Gas Can Scam quite often. They are particularly bad in the south. Atlanta has to be the worst. The religious fanatics are getting pretty numerous too. We definitely need to add more chlorine to the gene pool.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #59
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon_fwa View Post
I get the Gas Can Scam quite often. They are particularly bad in the south. Atlanta has to be the worst. The religious fanatics are getting pretty numerous too. We definitely need to add more chlorine to the gene pool.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
My guess is for some reason a MH at the gas pump is indeed a magnet for all types of people to approach you. My most recent was two guys who were circling my coach as I fueled it up. I think I correctly assessed their intent when I raised my shirt so that one of them could see what was on my hip.

They disappeared in a hurry.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #61

I had a guy come up to me on the Indiana Turnpike. I was EAST bound with just my pick up and stopped to get a cup of coffee. This guy comes up to me asking for money for gas to get his family from Ohio to Illinois. I asked him about his origin and destination to make sure I heard him correctly. Sure enough, he said the same thing. I looked at him and said, Naw. Something fishy about your story. He had the gall to ask me what was fishy..........
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing,upgraded turbo, 2006 Dutchmen 28' 5th wheel with a 12' slide out and 16' boat behind it all
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:17 AM   #62

I think I correctly assessed their intent when I raised my shirt so that one of them could see what was on my hip.

They disappeared in a hurry.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #63

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elatta1954 View Post
I think I correctly assessed their intent when I raised my shirt so that one of them could see what was on my hip.

[/QUOTE]

In some states that would be called brandishing a firearm and could get you a free night room and board.

Glenn
Old 07-20-2016, 11:39 AM   #64

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thank you for the stories, this was a pleasure to read. Very entertaining
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
In some states that would be called brandishing a firearm and could get you a free night room and board.

Glenn[/QUOTE]

And in some places that could make you a target.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #66

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
My guess is for some reason a MH at the gas pump is indeed a magnet for all types of people to approach you. My most recent was two guys who were circling my coach as I fueled it up. I think I correctly assessed their intent when I raised my shirt so that one of them could see what was on my hip.

That happened to us in San Bernadino, we were on vacation. Pulled off the freeway to get gas we had this guy ask us for twenty dollars. He had already intimidated this women in front of us, so she gave him money. When we refused he got in front of us so my husband being in law enforcement showed him his hip also. We saw a patrol car in the shopping center and let hem know he was not only panhandling but intimidating people at the ATM and pumps. We do not give money to people it is a scam so they don't have o work.
Judy and Kerry, with Yorkie Babies Tweety, Jessi James, Wyatt Earp, Isabella. Boyz and there toys Angel Baby 2009 HD Road King, with Dyna 2008 HD Screaming Eagle. US Army Ret X2.::2015 37ls Outlaw, RVM97
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #67

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have only Been RVing for two years And we have had more nut jobs, it's all kinds of stories come up to us like maybe you should stop taking all the gas, other people need some. Some guy in New Mexico told me that when we filling up. This guy ask seven people for gas. All a different story.
Judy and Kerry, with Yorkie Babies Tweety, Jessi James, Wyatt Earp, Isabella. Boyz and there toys Angel Baby 2009 HD Road King, with Dyna 2008 HD Screaming Eagle. US Army Ret X2.::2015 37ls Outlaw, RVM97
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #68
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This kind of low-life makes it hard on the folks out there that REALLY need help!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:39 AM   #69

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
This kind of low-life makes it hard on the folks out there that REALLY need help!
Agreed, and its hard to tell them apart, well sometimes anyway.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:34 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

Good point, there are some out there who are truly needy. To those I am willing to give a helping hand, maybe buy them a lunch, but I won't hand out cash. If they are truly needy, they will accept with gratitude.