Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 06:42 AM   #71

Sometimes I will tell them I would be happy to call the local police department for them, since the police usually have community resources that can help a real needy person get "over the hump" so to speak.

Once in my past life while working for state government, I was traveling along the interstate and I saw a car pulled over onto the shoulder with its hood up and 4 children standing with their mother about 20 feet away. I pulled over and asked if they were having a problem, and a young guy came out from under the hood and said yes he was. He was heading to Fort Knox to report for duty and he had to be there that day. His junker of a car was in bad shape so I offered to take him and his family to the state police department about 3 exits down the interstate. I found out he had planned to report for duty, and his wife had planned to find a waitress job to make enough money to buy gas for the return trip to West Virginia! So sad....

At the State Police Barracks the sergeant on duty called the reporting officer at Fort Knox and cleared it with them for this guy to report late, and he got several churches in the area to donate funds to get the car picked up and repaired, a motel room for the night and food for the family.

I often wonder what happen to that family. Did they thrive in this world or not? Sometimes someone just needs a hand up to get over the hump in life. Some make it, and some don't.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #72

I had a guy parked at the next pump over walk around asking for money to get to work offshore. I told him I'd fill his tank. He was very kind in saying thank you, but told me to only put $5 in. That was less than 2 gallons. I assume he had a full tank and was wanting money. He drove to the next fuel station next door, git out and popped the hood on the car, walked to the nearest car with his hand out. Shame.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #73
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Sometimes I will tell them I would be happy to call the local police department for them, since the police usually have community resources that can help a real needy person get "over the hump" so to speak.

Once in my past life while working for state government, I was traveling along the interstate and I saw a car pulled over onto the shoulder with its hood up and 4 children standing with their mother about 20 feet away. I pulled over and asked if they were having a problem, and a young guy came out from under the hood and said yes he was. He was heading to Fort Knox to report for duty and he had to be there that day. His junker of a car was in bad shape so I offered to take him and his family to the state police department about 3 exits down the interstate. I found out he had planned to report for duty, and his wife had planned to find a waitress job to make enough money to buy gas for the return trip to West Virginia! So sad....

At the State Police Barracks the sergeant on duty called the reporting officer at Fort Knox and cleared it with them for this guy to report late, and he got several churches in the area to donate funds to get the car picked up and repaired, a motel room for the night and food for the family.

I often wonder what happen to that family. Did they thrive in this world or not? Sometimes someone just needs a hand up to get over the hump in life. Some make it, and some don't.

Way to go Pete! You've set a good example for all of us!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:43 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Way to go Pete! You've set a good example for all of us!
Not me, my hats off to that young man who was just trying to provide for his family in the best way he could. This was before cell phones and since some of us had linked statewide two way radios, we were encouraged to stop and offer assistance and use the radios to summon help if needed. I made many stops, that was just the most memorable.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #75

I love it when I get asked for a cigarette. I say I can't afford to smoke. They give me this look and I say " NO really!!! I CAN'T afford to smoke!"
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:18 AM   #76

Jayco Owners Club
I was picking up lunch for everyone in my office, As I approached the front door a boy about 12 maybe 13 years old walked up to me and told me he was very hungry and asked if I could spare a dollar or two, I told him to come in with me and I would buy him whatever he wanted for lunch. He proceeded to call me every name in the book. On my way out he was doing it to the next customer.

I wish it was easy to tell what true intentions are, would make it so much easier to help those who are truly in need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36UN.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	133839  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:37 AM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiloh14 View Post
Not quite a panhandler story, but an interesting incident while taking in the Indy 500 this year. Following the race, we dropped down into Kentucky and Tennessee, and pulled off the interstate for a fuel stop.

There was around a 40'+ Class A in an outside pump lane, and that lane's approach and exit area would allow my 33' Class C and toad to fit nicely. I pulled in behind the guy, and saw that no one was at the pump. My thought was that either he had just arrived, or was in the station paying. I patently waited for around five minutes, but there was no activity around the unit. Shortly after, a guy exits the station and slowly wanders back to the unit.

Good. He's fueled and had payed and will be on his way. Not so.

We can see his coach sway a bit from time to time, as it's apparent that someone is walking around inside. Meanwhile, the station is a beehive of activity, with cars and other vehicles coming and going in a constant stream.

Another five minutes pass, and I've had my limit of patience. I was standing aside my pump, and walked to the front of his unit, hoping to gain his attention. Seeing no one, I walked back to mine and waited a bit more. Finally, I'd had enough, and walked up the passenger side. Though the large window on that side, I could see the guy and three others, all seated at a table and eating lunch!

How insensitive! I caught his attention and motioned for him to move, and then I went toward the station to make a complaint. A minute later, he was finally gone!

Some people!
Must have been me and my enlarged prostate, when it says it is time, it is time!!!!!