Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #1

I need some deck plans

In order to get my deck built down the road in a few months i need to make some plans for it and submit them. I can do some of it with paint but i want it to look professional so i was looking for a free software. The only thing i found so far is smartdraw but its been a very long time since my high school drafting class and im sure they want this to scale.

Im sure there are those of you out there that could probably do this in about 20 min easy, and i would be happy to drop a few bucks your way via paypal for your effort.

I would need everything from the ground up, footings, support, deck, cover, everything.

I found a pic of what i like... anyone interested or can offer suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	porchrv.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	170322  

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #2

This website has an extensive collection of detailed building plans
I have no idea if you'll find anything useful, but it's worth a few hours of time to look.
I found this: decks.com with a quick search using duckduckgo search engine. It's one of many results.I realize "free" often does not mean free on the internet, but again, time on the computer is is cheap.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:38 PM   #3

Thanks, here is what i have so far, its not perfect but maybe it will be enough for the committee to go on. I have not done the cover yet because i have not made up my mind what kind of cover i want yet. It would be so much cheaper if i could get away with 3 supports per side instead of 5 but 15ft is a long span for a deck board, i think it would creek like crazy after awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deckspecs.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	170457  
Old 07-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #4

Does anyone happen to know - when having a 4x4 as a roof support that goes from the ground footing all the way to the roof, does it have its own footing or is there a special footing bracket that can be used to support both the 4x4 and the rim joist.

Maybe that particular footing has to be bigger than the others. Im not sure how the 4x4 is secured. In some pics it looks like the rim joist is just scabbed on the side of the 4x4 and the 4x4 is in the footing bracking, but i cant really tell in the pics.

I am also considering using these, anyone have any experience with them.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Concrete-De...75-in/50113084

thanks
Old 07-28-2017, 10:22 PM   #5

Found this video, it answered alot of my questions. The only difference really is that i will have to mount the 4x4 to the concrete, the ones in this video are free floating which they wont approve here. My 4x4 will go all the way up to the roof and not stop at the railing.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:35 AM   #6

By the way i did finally get a quote for my deck just to see how much it would cost to have someone else do the job. I was expecting around $3500, they came back with $7800. So ill be doing this myself for sure, thats way too much money to spend and have to walk away from it one day. I can do it myself for about $1500, all i have to do first is hire some day labor to dig my footings since i cant do that part.

So if you can do your deck yourself, do it... I have no clue where they came up with that amount unless they used gold plated 6x6's lol
Old 08-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #7

When I was wanting to build our deck, I had Lowes design it on their computer. It was free and their program allowed many options especially in railing styles. The results were a robust stable solid deck. My only complaint is the pressure treated lumber I was sold. After only 7 years, and two high quality deck treatments the decking boards are rotting and I have had to replace about 10% of them so far.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #8

My deck is going to be 2 ft off the ground, so im trying to decide if i should use 6x6 for that 2ft space or if i should just make the footing 2ft tall. There is a extra cost for the extra concrete but its easier to just set the deck floor on the footings rather than have it setting on 6x6 posts.

I wondering if there is a real long term benefit for setting it on the footings, its not going to make it last longer i dont think.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dave View Post
My deck is going to be 2 ft off the ground, so im trying to decide if i should use 6x6 for that 2ft space or if i should just make the footing 2ft tall. There is a extra cost for the extra concrete but its easier to just set the deck floor on the footings rather than have it setting on 6x6 posts.

I wondering if there is a real long term benefit for setting it on the footings, its not going to make it last longer i dont think.
You said you will walk away from it some day. Concrete prices are over $100/yard today, have you calculated how much concrete will be required? Then add in the cost of forming.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #10

Well i say i may walk away from it one day, and i might, but then again i might be here for 10 years. There are several people here that have leased their lot for over 8 years now. They are not full time living in them but thats still a long time. So i figure if i get the enjoyment out of it for that long at least then its probably worth it.

I did calculate that it will add about 10 - 80 lbs bags to the job plus the cost of the tube forms. There will only be 8 footings, im estimating it will take half a 80lb bag below the ground and at least 1 80lb bag above ground, i added on 2 more just in case i run short. Plus i plan to do two small pads one for the BBQ grill and one for the small tool shed so ill need the concrete later anyway. So im calculating 14 bags total.

However i have not yet added in any rebar and that will be extra.

The problem i have with the way alot of people do this is they just stick the posts down in the concrete. Well concrete is poris and even pressure treated will rot one day like that, unless i spray it with undercoating or something first. Plus if it does rot or break then i have to rip up the whole footing and i dont like that option.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #11

I've built a lot of decks. I like to use 6x6 posts set in concrete. The 6x6 post is less likely to twist and is big enough that you can notch the top to set the roof support on. I've had pressure treated 6x6 posts concreted in the ground for 20 years and counting without any problems. The PT deck boards exposed to the elements usually need replacing between 15 and 20 years but the framing is still good. Put it together with screws and it will last a long time.

The materials for an average deck will run about $10 a square foot. Staircases, roof and high off the ground will obviously increase the cost.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
I've built a lot of decks. I like to use 6x6 posts set in concrete. The 6x6 post is less likely to twist and is big enough that you can notch the top to set the roof support on. I've had pressure treated 6x6 posts concreted in the ground for 20 years and counting without any problems. The PT deck boards exposed to the elements usually need replacing between 15 and 20 years but the framing is still good. Put it together with screws and it will last a long time.

The materials for an average deck will run about $10 a square foot. Staircases, roof and high off the ground will obviously increase the cost.
Thanks, i figure about $500 for the deck, railings and steps. Then ill figure the roof. I was thinking lag bolts would come into play as well. I use course thread sheetrock screws for most of my little projects because they grab onto almost anything, they are not expensive, and they come in all kinds of sizes. The down side is that they tend to be brittle so they cant be used for stressed projects as they may break.

What kind of screws would you recommend?
Old 08-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #13

Get exterior deck screws. I like the star drive screws because they don't strip out as easily as the regular phillips head screws do. Sheetrock screws will rust and tend to break off. They are not strong enough. Trex decking boards are very nice but they are about 3 times the cost of 5/4" pressure treated decking. Trex will never rot, splinter and cleans up with a pressure washer.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #14

Can you use the pre-cast anchor blocks? They come with attach points to lag in your upright post then bolt 2x10 or 12's as rim joist. I built a deck in CA with Trex but it was covered so not really exposed to direct sunlight. Power wash and dry with an old towel.

MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote