Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I want someone to take DH aside and give him "the talk." About going south for the winter, I mean. Gee. You think he was getting old or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>FMOS...I am speaking from my experience from today - now that I have had my first "driving lesson" on the country roads... maybe you should make sure you know how to drive and then threaten to leave him behind! (ok...maybe that won't work for you...and Sacs-my DH- would be more than willing to head south-no matter what his age)
Anyway.. take a driving lesson or two... and he may change his mind!!

Good luck...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2008, 03:41 AM   #16
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Hey Full Moon Over Salem, Life is to short I retired this past Nov. Wife said she was not ready to drop everything and go away for the winter! I left for Fl Jan. 2 and will get back to NJ sometime in May!! She flew down for a two week vacation, and I think she is going to meet me in the outer banks in April! I know this might not work for everyone, but it is for us so far ! hope this helps some!!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 AM   #17

Same problem here in Minnesota, having a real winter for the first time in many years. Have not been able to take coach out for a thirty to forty mile run all winter as I always like to do often as possible during layup. Could do nothing more this year than watch the snow pile up on it. Forcast below zero next two nights. How will I ever make it another month?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #18

I know how everyone feels being snowed in. We are in Maine, and even for this state it has been one huge winter. I heard on the news the other night that Portland got around 90 inches or better. Maybe we'll get out around June, if we're lucky.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Ed & Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We're bracing for 6-10 inches to hit this weekend here in central OH. Estimating over a foot of snow up in Warpath's neck of the woods.

Seems like winter just doesn't want to give up yet..even though the Equinox is less than 2 weeks away. Will spring EVER come?

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:42 PM   #20

Even here in Florida it has been a bit rough. We have had to break out our winter sweaters several times and even on at least 6 occasions had to put on a jacket in the mornings before it warmed up. It is starting to warm up this week and my AC even starting cycling a few times yesterday after being off for a few weeks due to bitter cold temps in the mid 70's and high 60's.

Kidding aside the winter doldrums are not fun and we are also in keen anticipation of Spring when everything will be in full bloom and the Snow Birds won't be taking up all the roadways blocking things off while people are trying to get to and from work and campsites will become more readily available.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #21

We are looking at a rainy weekend with the possibility of flooding.I will be manning pumps in my basement.Still better then snow.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:
We are looking at a rainy weekend with the possibility of flooding.I will be manning pumps in my basement.Still better then snow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I keep telling myself that

It's better than snow.
It's better than snow.
It's better than snow.
It's better than snow.

I feel a little better now but not much
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ctcamper:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:
We are looking at a rainy weekend with the possibility of flooding.I will be manning pumps in my basement.Still better then snow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I keep telling myself that

It's better than snow.
It's better than snow.
It's better than snow.
It's better than snow.

I feel a little better now but not much </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

March 7 in Amesbury and a lot of rain before the ground has had a chance to thaw very well can be devistating to the apple and pear trees up there when the water gets past the frost and brings that cold on down to the roots. Hope it dosn't get too bad with the rain or we will have along with the flooded basements a bad apple and pear crop.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Well, the snow finally stopped at just over 20 inches. Buckeye Chuck said 6 more weeks of winter last Feb 2, so this better be Old Man Winter's last hurrah.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
In case any snowbirds miss the joys of winter.

If it isn't the roof of the MH, then it's the roof of the house. Had to do this before the rains came and added more weight.

I'm getting too old for this!!!
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Time to run some heating pipes underneath your underlayment and a boiler in the basement. Then you can heat your roof to reduce snow build up.

This is still camping season for me, just haven't had time, been putting my money towards truck upgrades, like air bags, new brakes, etc...
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joseph C. McKenzie:
Time to run some heating pipes underneath your underlayment and a boiler in the basement. Then you can heat your roof to reduce snow build up.

This is still camping season for me, just haven't had time, been putting my money towards truck upgrades, like air bags, new brakes, etc... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would consider a icebelt too if I went this route as the fast thaw when you turned the heat on could cause things to backup under your bottom couses of roofing. With salt box overhangs the quick thaw would probably not end up in the soffits but in the ceilings and side walls.

Bob's already got the lower section (breezeway to the garage?) belted but I can't tell about the main roof from the photo.

Factory certified class of 1978, Bird Roofing Corporation, Walpole Massachusetts.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:17 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
The idea I was speaking of was something someone made, using cast iron pipe suspended inside the attic about an inch or two away from the plywood underlayment. The worked much like a radiator and warmed the roofing from the underside. The idea was to keep the roof warm enough with the snow started to accumulate to keep it from getting too deep to cause major run off problems.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote