Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
ok, i'm a lazy winterizer and have come up with a sure fire lazy mans way to deal with this problem.

I will be working day and night to increase global warming, there you have it!

Now we can start solving other serious problems, like, why when your safe everywhere else, in california it will cause cancer!
x 2,000,000

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
We need to be careful, the mods may want to switch this thread to the technical forum! Lol

Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Huntnski... I've been waiting and hoping Al Gore was right for years! We're freezing our butts off, while he's sipping piņa coladas off the money he made from scaring the crap out of people! I'm with you! Get in your motorhome, boat, hummer, truck, whatever and burn fossil fuels till we heat this old girl up for good! Lol! Jk!
X 2,500,000 and then some
Old 01-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
What if you're living in your coach at the time?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Would someone please send Al Gore up here to Regina. We have a wind chill of -51C today. He was here a few summers ago giving one of his talks, maybe he would like to tell me again about it at -51C.
My 242RESL uses 2 gallons of antifreeze and it's the best insurance for -51.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
Would someone please send Al Gore up here to Regina. We have a wind chill of -51C today. He was here a few summers ago giving one of his talks, maybe he would like to tell me again about it at -51C.
What is that in F? I know that at about 35 below C and F cross the same number. Cold to say the least. This being a USA based forum, most of us can't readily convert to the metric system. The drug pushers use the metric system down here, but most of us don't.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I suspect the ones who have suffered freeze damage are the one who did not do either, blow out or use antifreeze.

I always use just air to blow out supply lines. Never once had a line freeze. If it works in Alaska for me it will work in the lower 48 for sure. The biggest advantage is I don't have to flush my lines in the spring to get the pink out. Not lazy just don't see the need to perform unnecessary work.

This has to be a hold over from the days before PEX tubing.

PEX tubing used for water supply lines is very resistant to freeze rupture. Look it up if you haven't already.

I do put antifreeze in my drains and and in the tanks to protect the valves. Tanks and drains have to mush volume to blow out. Even putting it in the drains may be overkill given the room drains have for ice to expand.

If you blow out your lines correctly, antifreeze is like adding suspenders to a pair of pants that already have a belt.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #22

Hey Kscrude. To answer your question -The temp crossover point between F & C is -40.

Metric makes sooo much sense.. In Celcius, 0 is freezing and 100 is boiling. As I recall there was a movement in the US in the mid 70's wherein there was a bill passed to have the US go Metric. About the same time Canada did, I think public backlash and budgets got into the way and progress stopped, but I understand the momentum is gaining ground again wherin I believe Hawaii has legislation on the books to go metric by 2018.

Many serious incidents have happened because people were dealing with different measurement systems.Aircraft have crashed because liters were interpreted for gal and KG were assumed to be pounds. The Mars Probe crashed because of total measurement standard screwups and people were given improper medication because of using different measuring systems.

With more global trade, metric measurement has crept into the everyday lives of people living in the US anyway. More than just the Drug trade I might add. Mechanics have two sets of tools and many bolts and nuts and threads used today in the US are metric and in science and health, most people work in metric units. Injections are measured in CCs or ml not 1/4 or 1/8 oz for example and pill dosage is in mg. Even the ham radio operators talk about the radio bands in meters.and many bottles are labled in ML Metric tons are used for trade and the military use the metric system so as to work with allies. So metric measurement is already in common usage in the US. I am surprised that meterlogical data is not consistant with the rest of the scientific world. But it is coming. Who could argue that the metric system based on units of 10s is more sensible than a system based on - well nothing logical really. Why would one pick 32 degrees for freezing and 212 degrees for boiling water? Or 12 inches to a foot and 5280 ft to a mile (well a statute mi anyway, not true for a nautical mi.)

Well this is a lot considering I was just going to say that the crossover point for F & C temps is -40 in both scales and believe me it is dam cold which ever scale one uses.

Perhaps the metric conversion subject should have its own post. There is a very long history of measures to make the US convert to the metric system and I predict someday that will happen, but I suspect the 2x4 lumber will stay just as it did in Canada but science like meterological data is most likely to change.

And for those experiencing sub zero temps in any scale. Bundle up and stay warm.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Hey Kscrude. To answer your question -The temp crossover point between F & C is -40.

Metric makes sooo much sense.. In Celcius, 0 is freezing and 100 is boiling. As I recall there was a movement in the US in the mid 70's wherein there was a bill passed to have the US go Metric. About the same time Canada did, I think public backlash and budgets got into the way and progress stopped, but I understand the momentum is gaining ground again wherin I believe Hawaii has legislation on the books to go metric by 2018.

Many serious incidents have happened because people were dealing with different measurement systems.Aircraft have crashed because liters were interpreted for gal and KG were assumed to be pounds. The Mars Probe crashed because of total measurement standard screwups and people were given improper medication because of using different measuring systems.

With more global trade, metric measurement has crept into the everyday lives of people living in the US anyway. More than just the Drug trade I might add. Mechanics have two sets of tools and many bolts and nuts and threads used today in the US are metric and in science and health, most people work in metric units. Injections are measured in CCs or ml not 1/4 or 1/8 oz for example and pill dosage is in mg. Even the ham radio operators talk about the radio bands in meters.and many bottles are labled in ML Metric tons are used for trade and the military use the metric system so as to work with allies. So metric measurement is already in common usage in the US. I am surprised that meterlogical data is not consistant with the rest of the scientific world. But it is coming. Who could argue that the metric system based on units of 10s is more sensible than a system based on - well nothing logical really. Why would one pick 32 degrees for freezing and 212 degrees for boiling water? Or 12 inches to a foot and 5280 ft to a mile (well a statute mi anyway, not true for a nautical mi.)

Well this is a lot considering I was just going to say that the crossover point for F & C temps is -40 in both scales and believe me it is dam cold which ever scale one uses.

Perhaps the metric conversion subject should have its own post. There is a very long history of measures to make the US convert to the metric system and I predict someday that will happen, but I suspect the 2x4 lumber will stay just as it did in Canada but science like meterological data is most likely to change.

And for those experiencing sub zero temps in any scale. Bundle up and stay warm.
Thanks for the reply. When in school in the late sixties and early seventies, we were told that we would be converting to the metric system very soon. Like you said, it never totally happened. Most of our autos are now made elsewhere, and can be all metric, are a combo of both. Mack is owned by Volvo now, the engines are all metric nuts and bolts and the chassis is all standard. Fords are the same way. You can't work on anything without both sets of tools. Too bad we didn't totally convert back in the seventies, like they were planning.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:34 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
-51 *C is equal to --59.6 *F and baby THAT is COLD! there are easy converters online and
here is one, Fahrenheit to Celsius Converter just type in one temp and click outside the box for the conversion.
I was -41C the night my furnace motor died S&B .... AWFUL!
Since I was raised with the F temps and measurements and all my cookbooks use the old way and some both, I use the old method still. However the metric is so much more precise but I still use inches and feet most of the time....
It is my understanding that there are only 4- 5 countries still using non metric, the US being one of them.
For us in the northern regions there is Cold , not too bad, damn cold and to the question, is it cold out..... the inevitable 'bring in the brass monkey! ' LOL!!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I suspect the ones who have suffered freeze damage are the one who did not do either, blow out or use antifreeze.

If you blow out your lines correctly, antifreeze is like adding suspenders to a pair of pants that already have a belt.

Good analogy Dennis, .....I also have no problems with freezing lines using just the blow out method here in Northwest Montana.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #26

Of course, the 2 x 4 lumber is really 1 3/4 x 3 1/2 inches. Go figure...

RV content: it's 1 degree F here, and my motorhome has pink stuff in the lines. On our previous TREK, I used to blow out the lines with air. One year a line retained some water, and I had a leak in the spring. I agree that air evacuation works just fine if perfectly done, but using the pink stuff gives me that extra measure of confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
... I suspect the 2x4 lumber will stay just as it did in Canada....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, if you have water in your lines (In major quanity) the PEX is likely still in good condition, but many of the fittings may need replacement, ENjoy the job.

If you have pink stuff it's likely frozen solid as well but at least it does not expand like water does so no damage.

IF you blew out the lines completly, blowing several times with a few minutes of pause in between blows.. You and put pink in traps and toilets, You have nothing to worry about, IF The air in the lines ever freezes, you will have only two things to worry about.

Heaven... or that other place

If you end up in Heaven you will have nothing to worry about
But if you end up in... that other place.. Well you will be so busy greeting all your friends who pre-deceased you that you won't have time to worry... So if you have air in the lines you have nothing to worry about.

(Old joke slightly modified to fit subject of this thread).
Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #28

Well I traveled all the way to Houston Texas for warm temps and what did I get-trapped in a blizzard in Dumas Texas just before Christmas(glad I was still winterized with the pink stuff) and now here in Houston lowest temps in the last 4 years(no pink stuff)-can't win for loosing.I did not freeze up last night however just using a lot of propane!