Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am with Dennis.

Also, I follow my manual for winterizing. It gives two options, antifreeze or blow out the lines. I choose to blow out the lines. However, being 40 miles South of Houston we don't really get that many long cold snaps.

So far so good in many years of just blowing out the lines.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I am with Dennis.

Also, I follow my manual for winterizing. It gives two options, antifreeze or blow out the lines. I choose to blow out the lines. However, being 40 miles South of Houston we don't really get that many long cold snaps.

So far so good in many years of just blowing out the lines.
Wayne, do you use a compressor for that or hot air!

Just asking, others want to know!

Sorry Wayne, just couldn't pass that opportunity up, I should be getting my self help book at the GC. " how to make and keep friends on the Internet"

Old 01-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
2 to 3 months ago, there were a LOT of posts where guys were asking what the folks in here thought they should do when it comes to winterizing... Just blowing out their lines... Put a light bulb in the lower bay... Etc... Most of these posters were trying to figure out a lazy way to short cut what is part of this way of life.
StevieG
I resemble that remark, (although I am not "trying to figure out a lazy way" to winterize my coach).

My coach has seen winter temps lower than -30 degrees F during the last 12 winters.
When winterizing I simply "gravity drain" everything in my fresh water system.
I do not use RV antifreeze, (except in the waste tanks, the p-traps and the Splendide).
I do not "blow out" the lines.
I have never had a freeze related problem.

That's NOT my recommendation... just my "lazy way" of winterizing!

BTW, I have found that most "know-it-alls" seldom actually know it all... therefore they can seldom say, "I told you so"!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Of course, the 2 x 4 lumber is really 1 3/4 x 3 1/2 inches. Go figure...

RV content: it's 1 degree F here, and my motorhome has pink stuff in the lines. On our previous TREK, I used to blow out the lines with air. One year a line retained some water, and I had a leak in the spring. I agree that air evacuation works just fine if perfectly done, but using the pink stuff gives me that extra measure of confidence.
Actually 1 1/2" x 3 1/2"
Old 01-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrowne View Post
Actually 1 1/2" x 3 1/2"
bcbrowne

2x4s are now only 1 1/2" thick.

However, many OLD 2x4s are STILL 1 3/4" thick, others are
1 5/8" and very old ones are 2"........(depending upon when the were made).
They don't shrink with age.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post

My coach has seen winter temps lower than -30 degrees F during the last 12 winters.
When winterizing I simply "gravity drain" everything in my fresh water system.
I do not use RV antifreeze, (except in the waste tanks, the p-traps and the Splendide).
I do not "blow out" the lines.
I have never had a freeze related problem.

That's NOT my recommendation... just my "lazy way" of winterizing!

BTW, I have found that most "know-it-alls" seldom actually know it all[/I]... therefore they can seldom say, "I told you so"!

Mel
'96 Safari
Mel, if you spend your winters in WI... leave your coach outside on in an unheated garage... and don't do anything but gravity drain your freshwater and antifreeze your waste system... and have never had a freeze up??? then you ARE one very lucky camper! I would certainly have to agree with you that I would never recommend anyone else do this. As Grandpa taught me, it is better to Err on the side of caution...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
bcbrowne

2x4s are now only 1 1/2" thick.

However, many OLD 2x4s are STILL 1 3/4" thick, others are
1 5/8" and very old ones are 2"........(depending upon when the were made).
They don't shrink with age.
Mel
'96 Safari
not unless a termite gets them ... anyone tell me why the wood is smaller and still called 2x4?

Oh, and all this pink stuff shortage talk makes me want to go out and stock up... when I wanted it back in...Oct? there was none to be found at my local wally world... luckily I got the last 2 gallons at O'Reily's. But then, I remember, oh, I have a very small C type RV and I need to pare down everything I wanna take and musn't overweight ourselves.... good think I don't full time yet!
MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
not unless a termite gets them ... anyone tell me why the wood is smaller and still called 2x4?

Oh, and all this pink stuff shortage talk makes me want to go out and stock up... when I wanted it back in...Oct? there was none to be found at my local wally world... luckily I got the last 2 gallons at O'Reily's. But then, I remember, oh, I have a very small C type RV and I need to pare down everything I wanna take and musn't overweight ourselves.... good think I don't full time yet!
The wood reportedly was 2x4 prior to it being "dressed" but about 1/2 " is removed through that process, well that is the story I was told since I was a boy and I have been around many lumber mills. 2x4 is the rough cut.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Mel, if you spend your winters in WI... leave your coach outside on in an unheated garage... and don't do anything but gravity drain your freshwater and antifreeze your waste system... and have never had a freeze up??? then you ARE one very lucky camper! I would certainly have to agree with you that I would never recommend anyone else do this. As Grandpa taught me, it is better to Err on the side of caution...
StevieG
The first year that I winterized my coach for storage in cold WI winters... (when I was capable of fixing most everything, and thought fixing things was "fun")... I "experimented" with gravity draining.
Because winterizing that way caused no "freeze up" problems, I have not "blown out", (or used RV antifreeze in), my fresh water system when winterizing for 11 years.
I use RV anti-freeze, but only in the waste tanks, the P-traps and the Splendide washer.

BTW, for 9 years I have winterized that way twice each year, (once in Oct.), before we leave WI in Jan. for parts south, (and once again in March), before returning to WI.

My Grandpa taught me to "think out of the box"... (and that "it's often easier to be LUCKY than good")!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How about just not coming back till April showers bring May Flowers!!!!!!!!!!!
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #39

No anti-freeze that's because some noobs may have overestimated and may have a few years supply sitting in their garage. Not naming names. Hoping pink comes out works

Some industries have already switched over to metric. Heck star trek sometimes used metric. I notice the mythbusters tend to mix both (I wager though that calculations may be done in metric). I know one reason why kids should like metric, all calculations are based on 10. If you need a calculator to convert between deca, milli and centi well then...
Old 01-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mel, if that works for you then keep on doing it! Another thing I learned a long time ago was "if it ain't broken... Don't fix it"

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote