Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
I really feel like saying "I told you so!"

Not to be mean... but about 2 to 3 months ago, there were a LOT of posts where guys were asking what the folks in here thought they should do when it comes to winterizing... Just blowing out their lines... Put a light bulb in the lower bay... Etc... Most of these posters were trying to figure out a lazy way to short cut what is part of this way of life. In almost every one I replied to, I tried emphasizing that "average winter temps" really should not guide how to lay up a motorhome for the winter... And that rv antifreeze at $3/gal and an hour or two of your time is better than any insurance policy out there.... Well, over the past week, all I've seen are posts from people with freezing conditions asking as what they should do now... I'm still glad to try and help, but what the heck... It's been below freezing here in upstate NY for over a week, and I sleep like a baby at night. No worries about freeze ups... Just saying....
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
KJD

Yes I have to agree . It takes 2 gal.to do mine.
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #3

Yep, it takes less time to add antifreeze than it does to fix busted pipes.
raven7usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #4

It took close to 150 gallons of anti freeze to do ours...
That what it took in fuel to move south!

In weather like this, everyone needed to follow all the proper instructions, be it blowing all the lines dry, using anti-freeze, a combo, making sure all the outside fixtures were drained, etc.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
It took close to 150 gallons of anti freeze to do ours...
That what it took in fuel to move south!

In weather like this, everyone needed to follow all the proper instructions, be it blowing all the lines dry, using anti-freeze, a combo, making sure all the outside fixtures were drained, etc.

lol like that one

i am in FL i see ppl doing all this down here but it ... most of the time do not get to where any of this has to be done

hill get lower in FL and its hard to find anti-freeze for RVs
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #6

I will say, that we blow lines out, and, if done well and properly not lazily, it will work as well as antifreeze.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not according to the winterizing stories in RV magazines. They say to blow the lines out and then add antifreeze since air can blow right through the water in the lines. Add the anti freeze and it'll be what collects in the low points.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
No worries about freeze ups... Just saying....

well, that is easy for you to say!

but taking recommended precautions a few months ago does NOT prevent sleeplessness when the temps plunge!

For those of us who are experiencing their first Winter that nagging doubt exists,

and I for one am grateful that I had the help of folks here on this forum to talk me through my anxiety attack!
milestogoB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #9

Well we also get "cold." Supposed to be 10*F here tmrw night
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogoB4 View Post
well, that is easy for you to say!

but taking recommended precautions a few months ago does NOT prevent sleeplessness when the temps plunge!

For those of us who are experiencing their first Winter that nagging doubt exists,

and I for one am grateful that I had the help of folks here on this forum to talk me through my anxiety attack!
Been winterizing a second home in the Adirondacks, a boat with 2 engines, 2 AC units, and full plumbing, and now a motorhome for many years. Each first time was a nail biter for me too... Did I miss anything? Did I use enough pink stuff?

I agree with Mr D... The only way to truly get peace of mind is to do it the most conservative and thought out way using rv antifreeze and making sure the stuff comes out of your faucets and toilets as pink as it comes out of the bottle...
Old 01-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok, I'm a lazy winterizer and have come up with a sure fire lazy mans way to deal with this problem.

I will be working day and night to increase global warming, there you have it!

Now we can start solving other serious problems, like, why when your safe everywhere else, in California it will cause cancer!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not according to the winterizing stories in RV magazines. They say to blow the lines out and then add antifreeze since air can blow right through the water in the lines. Add the anti freeze and it'll be what collects in the low points.
Thats not always true. If you blow out all the water, then try to pump antifreeze, it can be hard for the pump to get a prime. A local guy tried it last fall and told me he couldn't pump no pink. I told him to hook up to city water a fill all lines, and then run the pump without city water until everything was working. Then add the pink antifreeze and push all the water out until all pink on every spigot. He did that and it worked great. You lose prime and get vapor locked if you blow out first.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Huntnski... I've been waiting and hoping Al Gore was right for years! We're freezing our butts off, while he's sipping piña coladas off the money he made from scaring the crap out of people! I'm with you! Get in your motorhome, boat, hummer, truck, whatever and burn fossil fuels till we heat this old girl up for good! Lol! Jk!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Huntnski... I've been waiting and hoping Al Gore was right for years! We're freezing our butts off, while he's sipping piña coladas off the money he made from scaring the crap out of people! I'm with you! Get in your motorhome, boat, hummer, truck, whatever and burn fossil fuels till we heat this old girl up for good! Lol! Jk!
Now if we can just get that cancer issue in California whipped I'd like to go to Disneyland! lol