Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #15

I remember when the REA ran power lines and we got electricity on the farm. I remember when we only had one TV station in Houston. I was not allowed to touch the TV. Dad would come home and turn it on, then tune in the test pattern before actual shows came on. I remember the first "air conditioner" we got in a car. You hung it out the window and rolled the window up to hold it in place. Put a little water in it and if you were lucky a little ice. As you drove down the road the wind blew through it and turned a round fan that blew the cool air into the car.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStafford View Post
I remember when the REA ran power lines and we got electricity on the farm. I remember when we only had one TV station in Houston. I was not allowed to touch the TV. Dad would come home and turn it on, then tune in the test pattern before actual shows came on. I remember the first "air conditioner" we got in a car. You hung it out the window and rolled the window up to hold it in place. Put a little water in it and if you were lucky a little ice. As you drove down the road the wind blew through it and turned a round fan that blew the cool air into the car.
When I was about 8 our family and another family, took a trip to California with one of those on the window, and some kind of canvas bag of water hanging in front of the radiator!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I also remember, as a really small kid, going on vacation & riding on the ledge behind the back seat & the rear window. I could lay there & wave at the cars behind us. When I rode in the front seat (which was a bench seat) my "booster seat" was sitting on the arm rest in the middle & getting to steer the car when there wasn't any traffic coming. And seat belts? Who wore those then?

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Grew up on a farm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Lived with my uncle who was a share cropper on 400 acres.. No electricity, did have party line phone (ours was three long rings) . Aunt had a gasoline powered washing machine. Big trouble if you forgot to refill the prime bucket at the well. Day started at 4:30, round up and milk cows, after breakfast hitch wagon to take milk to the end of the lane (driveway). My brother, sister and I would walk back down the lane for the school bus. (well it seemed like a mile) Cows again in the evening, Homework by Oil lamps and to bed early. Always Church every Sunday.
Even more busy during harvest or butcher time. 1952 we moved to Baltimore and I finished 9th grade. Life was good!
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #19

When I was a kid the local grocery store would pick and deliver groceries if you gave them the list. They would leave the bags on the dinner table and put the cold stuff in the fridge for you. The groceries went on your tab which you paid once a week. Milk got delivered to your house a couple times a week. You left your order in the milk crate with the empty bottles and it came with the next delivery. I got a .22 caliber rifle for a birthday present somewhere around 10 years old. I got a shotgun a couple of years later. The local sheriff department had a gun safety course for kids where they showed you how to properly load, unload, aim, shoot, and clean your gun. We also used to go to the local dump and shoot rats on Sundays for a little fun. Everyone had a pocket knife by the time they were 7 or 8 years old and knew how to clean small game with it. We still burn the trash in a barrel today and take the barrel to the local recycle collection point when it is full. When I was a kid you could still buy dynamite, fuses, and caps at the hardware store to blow stumps out of the ground. Can you imagine giving a 10 year old a rifle, ammo, and a training class today? In high school I had a rifle rack in my pickup truck with a couple of guns in it so I could go hunting after school on the way home. Seems kind of odd today but it is what we did.
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #20

I remember as a kid the coal truck coming to the house. They dumped the coal down a chute into a holding bin in the basement. I used to go down with my grand pa and shovel coal into the furnace every morning and every night. I can still hear the sound of the steam in those radiators.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:50 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Got my first bike at 12. It had ape hanger handle bars and a banana seat. We put playing cards on the spokes for motor sound. I used to save a nickel out of my lunch money every day so I could pay the 25 cents to get in the double matinee at the town square theater, I was in love with GIGET and Haley Mills.

Prayed for snow all winter...no school, snow ball fights, sledding down the middle of the road and hitching a snow ride to the town square by hanging on to car bumpers and skiing in our rubber galoshes. Stick hockey on the city lake. Snow cones with Karo syrup. Made a lot of quarters shoveling snow from side walks.

I thought my family was dirt poor cause we ate a lot of beans and tatters. Spam was one of the food groups and there was CoolAid at evert meal. Powdered milk and big blocks of cheese were passed out at the town square to anyone who wasn't too proud. Looking back now, I think everybody was poor, with some to a lesser degree. All the kids went bare foot all summer. We all knew what poison ivy looked like. We went skinny dipping with the snakes and no one ever got bit. The last day of school before summer was the longest day of the year... But summer lasted for ever ( June July and August ). I tell my grand kids that I grew up in a Huckleberry Fin world. I bought them the book....I know there were bad times and sad times ...but I don't remember them.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:54 PM   #22

OOOh, the cream in the top of the milk bottles. The first one to open the front door in the morning could just peel back the paper cap & get away with the 'cream on the top' (until dad caught you). So many memories of mom & dad-Thanks for this post,
Craig
ceeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:41 AM   #23

Remember taking my 22 rifle to school (4 room school house) for show and tell. And of course you always had your pocket knife on you.

Gas at 22 cents per gallon

Amos and Andy

Gun Smoke (any one remember who played Matt on the radio? )

Flibber McGee's Closet

The Shadow

And the rest of the story.......
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
William Conrad was Matt (gun smoke) on the radio. I read somewhere when the TV version started, he didnít fit the part because of his physical appearance?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #25

rationing during the war......limited fuel, sugar.....my father traded the owner of a dinner for gas / sugar.......he needed gas for his business and the dinner needed sugar....no leather/rubber either, I had a new pair of shoes it had cardboard heel and sole....didn't last very long as a kid.
The guy who lowered the guard rail at the train crossing had a small pot belly stove....he use put some potatoes on the coals and he would give us one after they were done.....nice and black (Mickeys as I recall).
All those thing mentioned above are the greatest memory.....though I miss the small town activities....parades....town fairs....people knowing who the neighbor next door and down the street.
I also remember my father taking a .22 down to the pond and shooting a duck for dinner. We also had chickens....and a victory garden....everybody had a victory garden.
Those were the days..........
Old 01-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #26

To me the saddest thing is that kids today will never know those these joys of our youth. My parents put me on the train the other side of Lubbock, Texas by myself when I was 7 years old and my grandmother picked me up at the depot in Houston. Now we keep a close eye on our 11 year old grandson when we shop in Dallas. I was driving around on the farm when I was 8 and bought my first car when I was 14. I had to rebuild the transmission and put in a new clutch plate, but it was mine.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Lori, I don't think seat belts had even been invented when I was a kid!

Old 01-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Growing up waay out in the country most folks only went to town on Saturday. One of the grocery stores in town converted an old school bus to a "rolling store". They stocked it with a little of most anything they had in the store. During the week they made scheduled runs out in the country. Naturally, they carried plenty of candy! I remember standing down by the road, watching for the rolling store to come. When I saw him coming in a cloud of dust I would scream for my grandma to come running!