Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I remember when...................

I thought it might be fun for some of the "oldies" (like me!) to reminisce about how things were when they were growing up. I'll get it started.

I was born in 1939 out in the country, about 15 miles from the nearest small town, which back then was a LONG ways! The doctor came to our house to deliver me. Can you imagine that! Our house had no electricity, no gas, no running water, and an outhouse. Our only heat was from wood fireplaces.

OK, your turn!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Well, I'm not admitting my birth year, but I remember listening in on neighbor's phone conversations because the phone service was a party line. There was only 1 phone in our house & it was in the kitchen. I remember having only 4 TV channels: ABC, CBS, NBC & PBS. If the President was on, forget seeing anything else. I remember being the one who sat on the floor near the TV to change the channel for Dad & the National Anthem playing at midnight then the channels went off the air. I remember being outside playing from morning until supper, riding my bike all over town/by myself or with friends without my mom being worried about where I was. Penny & nickle candy at Woolworth's. Free kid's matinee at the town theater on Saturdays. Being a car hop at the local drive-in.

Was it simpler then? I kind of think so. No responsibilities, other than being a kid & your daily chores.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #3

Ah, the Good Old Days.

I remember when I used to get a weekly allowance of 25 cents. The IN thing to do at the time according to all the magazine adds etc was smoking cigarettes. Yes, they actually cured coughs, colds and who knows what else. How could a young person not want to start smoking these wonderful things?

So, my 25 cents would buy me a pack of 20 cigarettes and a box of matches.

Took me me 66 years to ditch that habit. The Good Old Days......
Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis, my dad and mom were both smokers and I used to pick up their cigarette butts and smoke them! Don't know how I never started smoking but thankful I didn't!

In our part of the the country there was some weed growing wild called "rabbit tobacco" that we would roll up and smoke. That stuff tasted AWFUL!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Lori, I remember when my "rich" uncle down the road got the first TV in the neighborhood! It was black & white, and only three stations could be received, VERY snowy, and only with a very large antenna 50' in the air! All the neighbors would gather at my uncle's house at night to watch TV.

Later, after I finished school, I went into the TV repair business. I remember in the early 60's when the first color TV's came out. That was a sight to behold!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Dennis, my dad and mom were both smokers and I used to pick up their cigarette butts and smoke them! Don't know how I never started smoking but thankful I didn't!

In our part of the the country there was some weed growing wild called "rabbit tobacco" that we would roll up and smoke. That stuff tasted AWFUL!
I grew up in the woods in Arkansas. We smoked Rabbit Tobacco. We usually made corncob pipes to smoke it in, rather than rolling it.

When a second TV channel was established in Little Rock, my dad bought a TV -- one of the first in the area. With a tall antenna on top of our tin-roofed house, and us living on top of a hill, we got great pictures on the LR channels. Before those channels came along, the few folks who had a TV in our area had to watch a snowy picture from Memphis.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Party lines with dial phones. As the youngest son, I was the remote control for the TV. Nobody knew what MPG their car got. Gas was 25 cents a gallon, somebody pumped it for you, and washed your windshield. Pennys were valuable. Cigarettes were 25 cents a pack from the ubiquitous cigarette machine. We called elders Mr and Mrs. Teachers could whack you if you needed it, and they did.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I remember when our rural community got electricity! I was probably 9 or 10 years old. I was fascinated by those guys climbing up and down the poles with the gaffs on their feet and legs! My dad worked at a machine shop in town and was an expert welder. He made me a set of the climbers which I strapped to my legs with old leather belts. I climbed every pine tree in the area, and slid down quite a few too!

I forgot to mention in my first post that the only light we had in the house before getting electricity was from kerosene lamps, called Aladdin lamps I believe.

And Lori, you were a city girl! We didn't have telephones until we moved closer to town when I was around 11.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #9

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
...The doctor came to our house to deliver me. Can you imagine that! ...
I just want to know how the doctor KNEW you were ready to come!
Cell phone? Morse code?

... yes, mom never worried about us riding our bikes 1- 2 miles to town, and put us out the back door in the summer and told us not to come home til supper!(she strongly denies that!)
... no outhouse for us, we must have been upper crust, but the quarters for all the video games almost put me in the poor house.
... we had three tv channels, had to change them 'manually' ourselves. Dad would watch, but was more interested in his bottle of beer, even giving us a sip while on his lap(crazy! but I only remember that once, so 'in moderation' must have been in his mind).
... we tried the smoking thing for a while, but I think the 'draw'(no pun intended) was really the 'getting away with it'. We came home, took a bath, brushed our teeth for 30 mins, gargled for 20, and put on new clothes to 'disguise' our ventures. Dad never said anything, but I think secretly he knew. It's hard to get onto your kids, though, when you have the habit yourself.
... our older Volkswagon stationwagon was a trip. A rear engine vehicle is not the best one to use when throwing your kids in the 'back' for a long ride... it was hot! Our used Lincoln Continental was long and black, but the 'electric' windows didn't work, and after the car was stolen and taken for a joy ride thru the woods, we didn't go back to that style of family vehicle, it was time for the even longer Oldsmobile stationwagon, with faux wood siding and the infamous 'rear facing' third row seat. Great for dates when you first turn 16
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1980-Oldsmobile-12.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	188455  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
I just want to know how the doctor KNEW you were ready to come!
Cell phone? Morse code?

... yes, mom never worried about us riding our bikes 1- 2 miles to town, and put us out the back door in the summer and told us not to come home til supper!(she strongly denies that!)
... no outhouse for us, we must have been upper crust, but the quarters for all the video games almost put me in the poor house.
... we had three tv channels, had to change them 'manually' ourselves. Dad would watch, but was more interested in his bottle of beer, even giving us a sip while on his lap(crazy! but I only remember that once, so 'in moderation' must have been in his mind).
... we tried the smoking thing for a while, but I think the 'draw'(no pun intended) was really the 'getting away with it'. We came home, took a bath, brushed our teeth for 30 mins, gargled for 20, and put on new clothes to 'disguise' our ventures. Dad never said anything, but I think secretly he knew. It's hard to get onto your kids, though, when you have the habit yourself.
... our older Volkswagon stationwagon was a trip. A rear engine vehicle is not the best one to use when throwing your kids in the 'back' for a long ride... it was hot! Our used Lincoln Continental was long and black, but the 'electric' windows didn't work, and after the car was stolen and taken for a joy ride thru the woods, we didn't go back to that style of family vehicle, it was time for the even longer Oldsmobile stationwagon, with faux wood siding and the infamous 'rear facing' third row seat. Great for dates when you first turn 16
Never really thought about it, but I guess daddy must have gone out and rounded him up when they thought it was about time!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
No garbage pickup. Everyone had a burning barrel back by the alley. Everything was burned and when the barrel rusted away you just replaced it with another one. A few times a year Dad would haul junk to the dump grounds where in my high school years we go to at night to shoots rats!
All the Moms washed cloth diapers and hung them and rubber pants on a clothesline to dry.
Listening to the big radio at night for programs. Later, a TV with three snowy channels. Remember the test patterns!
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sask66 View Post
No garbage pickup. Everyone had a burning barrel back by the alley. Everything was burned and when the barrel rusted away you just replaced it with another one. A few times a year Dad would haul junk to the dump grounds where in my high school years we go to at night to shoots rats!
All the Moms washed cloth diapers and hung them and rubber pants on a clothesline to dry.
Listening to the big radio at night for programs. Later, a TV with three snowy channels. Remember the test patterns!
I remember when we moved close to town that the local garbage pickup (in town only) was a guy with a rubber-tired wagon pulled by a big horse!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Party lines with dial phones. As the youngest son, I was the remote control for the TV. Nobody knew what MPG their car got. Gas was 25 cents a gallon, somebody pumped it for you, and washed your windshield. Pennys were valuable. Cigarettes were 25 cents a pack from the ubiquitous cigarette machine. We called elders Mr and Mrs. Teachers could whack you if you needed it, and they did.
Hey....were we neighbors

EVERY Mother in the neighborhood was 'YOUR Other Mother' and best do what she says

Riding in pickup truck beds WAS the coolest

What trash didn't get burned in barrel was hauled to the local dump in that pickup truck

All kids met up and walked to/from school TOGETHER

All kids met up after super and played TOGETHER until one of the MOMs hollered

Going to the Rx Drug Store and testing the TV Vacuum tubes with Dad

Getting to hang out at the Barber Shop w/Dad while he and his cohorts BSd (and I got a quick peak at the "Calendars")
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #14

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask66 View Post
No garbage pickup. Everyone had a burning barrel back by the alley. Everything was burned and when the barrel rusted away you just replaced it with another one. A few times a year Dad would haul junk to the dump grounds ...

we lived right next to the 'dump', which for years was just a natural deep gully outside of town that was mostly used by folks to come a drop off their trash and the city would burn it, then push what was left into the gully. Many a summer we used the 'dump' for fun.

Later, they 'upgraded' to huge man-made ditches with large heavy equipment and fenced off property, where they only 'buried' the trash. After a week of heavy rains, we boys decided to go for some 'fun' and swim in the 'lake', which was totally brown water - but when you're young, who cares?! (and in the buff!)
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote